Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 06-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #21
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
The only way for the City to fund it's activity is value neutral aggressive valuation of property. Setting the mill rate and increasing it neutrally for an infinity inflation equation.

Then, once you are done that you find other ways to fill the coffer. Utilities is a nice monthly. Then user fee which is an add on to any budgeted government activity. Sewer drain: Checkmark...

Then you neutrally deneuterize the service given, like make it eco friendly with a decaf double caf neutral coffee that is a bearable ounce for the environment.

While i'm at it, instead of measuring waste we are going to have a committee come together and come up with three different garbage container sizes. This is the utopia I dream of.
WTF

I was just pointing out that the city budget and property tax is independant of the absolute value of property. The property value of every house in the city could be cut in half and the amount you pay in tax would be unchanged. So a lock of increasing property value does not inhibit the ability of the city to increase taxes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #22
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This isn't the way property taxes work. They are property value neutral.
Maybe I should of said income from property taxes. Thought people would get the idea.

By the way, the mill rate has a lot to do with property values. If the combined mil rate and property values can’t cover the proposed budget then the mil rate goes up. Therefore property taxes are directly related to property values.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:14 AM   #23
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
WTF

I was just pointing out that the city budget and property tax is independant of the absolute value of property. The property value of every house in the city could be cut in half and the amount you pay in tax would be unchanged. So a lock of increasing property value does not inhibit the ability of the city to increase taxes.
I've thought long and hard about this. I don't think my post warrants a WTF.

The value of property and property assessment is part of the equation. It's simply mathematical. However, this story that the city has spun that it doesn't effect the taxes we collect on the whole also doesn't add up. It has never been revenue neutral and I hate that term. It means while you may pay more other people pay less. The very theory is that your property value is irrelevant because we will tax you anyways.. The government is not revenue neutral. I wish they would start using terms like using your revenue as smart as we can.

1) If your property goes up. You can count on paying more of your share of taxes. The principle mechanics of the system. Property value is a way of assigning fair share. If you buy a place in Mount Royal, expect to pay more.
2) The mill rate has gone up very statistically and permanently in the city of Calgary.
2.1) Property * mill rate = taxation bill.
3) I've had conflict on multiple properties with city assessors. This department is brutal and they know their job is to challenge and maximize property value.
  • The ARB (assessment review board) used to keep them in check, but now you have to spend a full day to hear your docket. You used to have a set time. I hang out here in June, but they've literally made it super costly and expensive cutting out the function of the ARB board.
  • The City is putting together 500 page documents to argue their case for your property valuation. In other words they are using tax revenue to fight you to pin their property values to the max.
  • Big corporations fight back and often win where local property owners are unable. Big corporations fight the system and win because the city is pinning down the easy targets. Now the city fights the resident/citizen like they do with a big corporation.
  • Why would they be so concerned about property valuation if they just adjust mill rate accordingly. From the cities perspective. You should spend a day down at the ARB to see the stuff the City tries to get away with. Actually listening to citizens whose property jumps 20% to 30% in a single year.
  • They want to value your property at market/but value you as the average of the street. They want it both ways, and will not acknowledge the value of homes on your street and pick the highest examples blocks away and even coded in their own system differently. Take six, eight, ten homes on my street and value the home. That's it. It's the MGA. Take every home valuation on your street and divide. The city is not engaged in this activity.
4) New properties to be taxed do not lower the tax burden, only contribute. Ie. More taxation base. As it should be. As we add new "property value" wouldn't the taxation rate decrease?
5) When you focus on property valuation you can really lower the idea of "mill rate" increase. Instead of saying we are increasing 10% you've posted extreme assessment of property and you say we are at 5% increase. Citizens smile and pay $200 more a year every year to city hall. 10 years of this and you have a very tax heavy city which doesn't encourage opportunity or people to live in.
6) Old people living in the inner city are really hard hit. I will never forget all the people down at the ARB fighting not to be forced out of their home like the Lougheed's at one point.

The only WTF is what is happening down on the whole floor dedicated to people trying to maximize property value and not listening to the citizens who call up to say why has my property value gone up 15% in a year. They used to be reasonable. Also, just as another point of view a 15% is a triple threat for any business ... because 15% property value increase equals x 3 in business/property tax versus a residential rate.

Last edited by calgarywinning; 06-22-2018 at 02:18 AM.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 06:56 AM   #24
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I agree that the property value is a major factor in property taxes, which is just strange. I mean really, the guy living in a $500,000 single detached home isn’t using any more/less services than a guy in a million dollar home. It’s basically just arbitrary.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #25
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It does work as a way of progressive taxation though. The thinking is that if you can afford a more expensive house you earn more and pay more, just like income taxes. Since the city has limited ways of taxing, this is how they have gone about it. I'm sure if the guy in a 500 sq foot condo was paying the same taxes as the guy living in Mt Royal in a $5 million mansion there would be similar complaints. Perhaps basing it on land area would make sense?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #26
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It does work as a way of progressive taxation though. The thinking is that if you can afford a more expensive house you earn more and pay more, just like income taxes. Since the city has limited ways of taxing, this is how they have gone about it. I'm sure if the guy in a 500 sq foot condo was paying the same taxes as the guy living in Mt Royal in a $5 million mansion there would be similar complaints. Perhaps basing it on land area would make sense?
Yeah and I get that. I don’t completely agree with that approach for the city because it’s city services we’re funding as opposed to social programs and the social safety net. Obviously someone in an apartment style condo differs from a single detached house, and obviously some differences exist. Anyway, I don’t know what the perfect system would be, I just don’t love the current one.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #27
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps they'd be better with a base rate that everyone pays, and they have modifiers for certain things. Like if you have an alley, that's an extra, multiply by land area, and whatever other things may increase the cost of the city to service that property.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #28
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I've thought long and hard about this. I don't think my post warrants a WTF.

The value of property and property assessment is part of the equation. It's simply mathematical. However, this story that the city has spun that it doesn't effect the taxes we collect on the whole also doesn't add up. It has never been revenue neutral and I hate that term. It means while you may pay more other people pay less. The very theory is that your property value is irrelevant because we will tax you anyways.. The government is not revenue neutral. I wish they would start using terms like using your revenue as smart as we can.

1) If your property goes up. You can count on paying more of your share of taxes. The principle mechanics of the system. Property value is a way of assigning fair share. If you buy a place in Mount Royal, expect to pay more.
2) The mill rate has gone up very statistically and permanently in the city of Calgary.
2.1) Property * mill rate = taxation bill.
3) I've had conflict on multiple properties with city assessors. This department is brutal and they know their job is to challenge and maximize property value.
  • The ARB (assessment review board) used to keep them in check, but now you have to spend a full day to hear your docket. You used to have a set time. I hang out here in June, but they've literally made it super costly and expensive cutting out the function of the ARB board.
  • The City is putting together 500 page documents to argue their case for your property valuation. In other words they are using tax revenue to fight you to pin their property values to the max.
  • Big corporations fight back and often win where local property owners are unable. Big corporations fight the system and win because the city is pinning down the easy targets. Now the city fights the resident/citizen like they do with a big corporation.
  • Why would they be so concerned about property valuation if they just adjust mill rate accordingly. From the cities perspective. You should spend a day down at the ARB to see the stuff the City tries to get away with. Actually listening to citizens whose property jumps 20% to 30% in a single year.
  • They want to value your property at market/but value you as the average of the street. They want it both ways, and will not acknowledge the value of homes on your street and pick the highest examples blocks away and even coded in their own system differently. Take six, eight, ten homes on my street and value the home. That's it. It's the MGA. Take every home valuation on your street and divide. The city is not engaged in this activity.
4) New properties to be taxed do not lower the tax burden, only contribute. Ie. More taxation base. As it should be. As we add new "property value" wouldn't the taxation rate decrease?
5) When you focus on property valuation you can really lower the idea of "mill rate" increase. Instead of saying we are increasing 10% you've posted extreme assessment of property and you say we are at 5% increase. Citizens smile and pay $200 more a year every year to city hall. 10 years of this and you have a very tax heavy city which doesn't encourage opportunity or people to live in.
6) Old people living in the inner city are really hard hit. I will never forget all the people down at the ARB fighting not to be forced out of their home like the Lougheed's at one point.

The only WTF is what is happening down on the whole floor dedicated to people trying to maximize property value and not listening to the citizens who call up to say why has my property value gone up 15% in a year. They used to be reasonable. Also, just as another point of view a 15% is a triple threat for any business ... because 15% property value increase equals x 3 in business/property tax versus a residential rate.
Property value doesn't matter. Your property value relative to other property values is what matters. The city does not get more taxation revenue by screwing up property value assessments. The incentive isn't there. They want to ensure the same process is applied to all properties properly.

If all of calgary took a 50% hit on values all taxes would remain the same. If your property value doubled while everyone else's remained fixed than your taxes double

The mill rate during the property value boom went down significantly. If the total value of the property in the city increases by more that the tax increase the mill rate drops. (But the mill rate is meaningless as it is just adjusted based on the total budget required by the city and the total property value.

My WTF was there is no such thing as an infinity inflation equation and your wierd rant about greening things.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #29
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Be glad you are not in Ontario. I have a semi detached three bedroom house that is not big at all and I am careful about my electrical usage as well and my bill is about $280.00 a month in the summer.

Must be pretty leaky then. I have a detached side split 2500ft2 and paid $148.00 last month. My wife and daughter are notorious energy users as well. Whats your kWh usage in a month?
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote