Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #201
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
Digital Foundry has their analysis up

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...mance-analysis
Ahh here we go.

First up though, we can confirm PS4 and Xbox One render at a native 1080p resolution, with no compromise in either case. It gives us a sharp base image, and in presenting a post-apocalyptic world that sprawls out for virtual miles in each direction, it pays off hugely in keeping the image sharp on views across the wasteland. It's a surprise for Microsoft's machine too, with its previous history of cutting back on resolution in similar open world games.
But initial testing shows PS4 and Xbox One's core graphics settings are surprisingly close across the board. Texture maps are matched for resolution, with a generous level of anisotropic filtering across the ground for good measure.

For example, moving between major city areas is a particular strain on the engine, causing PS4 and Xbox One to drop to 20fps in matching spots on the map. Like clockwork, each platform lurches downward for a spell when passing a threshold in the environment - suggesting assets are being decompressed on the fly for the next location. However it's not an ideal setup when these connecting areas are filled with enemies, and controller response suddenly takes a hit - though PS4 holds a frame-rate advantage in matching runs
But that's not the whole story. On top of this, Xbox One is unique in its suffering of a stuttering issue, halting the game experience for up to a second during play. It's a glaring hitch downward, and matching runs to the gates of Diamond City shows Xbox One dropping to a record 0fps (zero) while PS4 turns the same corner at 28fps. Each has their blips, but having tested two separate Xbox One and PS4 consoles, the results are always the same across the world at large; we get sizeable stutters on Microsoft's console that aren't present on PS4.

It may only be momentary, but it sticks out like a sore thumb in direct comparison. The cause is also often very self-evident; even with an installation size of 28GB, assets are struggling to stream from Xbox One's HDD on cue. We see noticeable hitches when simply walking around the world - but also just before cut-scenes take place, or switching to a new gun via the d-pad. During battle, reaching for a weapon that hasn't been used for a long spell prompts anything from a split-second hitch to a prolonged hiccup that can really disrupt the flow of a shootout. Added to that, the stutter from a newly drawn weapon (or throw of a Molotov cocktail) often coincides with a delayed sound effect in its first use.

On repeat tests we were taken aback by disparity we saw. Even on multiple re-tests, using the same enemies, weather and lighting conditions, each Xbox One console we try has similar, and obvious issues streaming in data effectively - where it doesn't manifest to nearly the same extent on PS4.

Meanwhile, for those with PC as their platform of choice, all the signs look good for a smooth experience even on budget kit. We're currently putting together an in-depth guide to settings tweaks and recommended setups, so expect that in the next couple of days.

Last edited by chemgear; 11-09-2015 at 09:06 AM. Reason: CONCLUSION: GET THE PC VERSION!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #202
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like they should have done 900p on both consoles to ensure a smoother game. Personally I have played a fair bit of XB1 games in 900p like Witcher 3 and barely notice any differences between the PS4 version in 1080p so I would rather see games running better than having that little bit of extra resolution that is barely noticeable. I realize your intent was to show how inferior the XB1 version is (bold highlights as always ) but the bottom line is that it runs like crap on both systems. Hopefully a patch will come in the near future to at least lock the framerate close to 30 fps.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-09-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #203
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just bolding the highlights as you say. Though to be fair, I should have bolded the last portion - which is basically "Get the PC version!"

Actually, I'll go back and do that.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #204
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Sounds like they should have done 900p on both consoles to ensure a smoother game. Personally I have played a fair bit of XB1 games in 900p like Witcher 3 and barely notice any differences between the PS4 version in 1080p so I would rather see games running better than having that little bit of extra resolution that is barely noticeable. I realize your intent was to show how inferior the XB1 version is (bold highlights as always ) but the bottom line is that it runs like crap on both systems. Hopefully a patch will come in the near future to at least lock the framerate close to 30 fps.
If a game like the Witcher 3 can run pretty solid at 1080p after patching, so can this. Why place it at 900p to solve a framerate issue when it can be solved through proper optimization.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:13 AM   #205
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

From GAF

Old 11-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #206
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Just bolding the highlights as you say. Though to be fair, I should have bolded the last portion - which is basically "Get the PC version!"

Actually, I'll go back and do that.
PC Master Race people are the Crossfit guys of gaming.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #207
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly I don't care about frame rate (unless it's TOO bad) or 1080p or anything. I just want a fun game.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #208
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
PC Master Race people are the Crossfit guys of gaming.
I've always found us analogous to car guys, as in your typical generic Toyota Matrix or Honda Fit or whatever will get you where you want to go, but a souped-up whathaveyou is more fun, or a giant F-350 will have massive utility usage.

I've always heard "I don't care how it looks; it plays the games I want and it's cheaper!" to be similar to "I don't care how it looks; it gets me places, and the mileage is great (and it's cheaper)!"

That said, most people think killer cars are cool. Killer computers are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 11-09-2015 at 10:42 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #209
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly, 30 FPS should be the minimum. Look at that gif where the Xbone version literally stops. That is unacceptable. They should have cut back the resolution or reduced detail in order to maintain 30 FPS if they couldn't figure out how to optimize it properly.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #210
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
That said, most people think killer cars are cool. Killer computers are not.
You take that back!

Old 11-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #211
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
You take that back!

Hey man I can admit it

People's eyes glaze over pretty hard when I talk about PC hardware, but they are always willing to engage in chat about car hardware.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #212
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bethesda vs. The Internet (or GAF)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #213
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Apparently the PC UI is hot garbage for mouse and keyboard.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #214
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Apparently the PC UI is hot garbage for mouse and keyboard.
This wouldn't surprise me in the least. The UI for Skyrim on PC was hot garbage too.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #215
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone get shipping confirmation from Amazon yet?
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #216
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #217
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dear god that is rough shadowing. Nice to see the consoles got Multisampling however.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #218
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I got shipping confirmation on Friday. If you meant delivery confirmation, then not yet. I think it'll be here tomorrow.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #219
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting comparisons but honestly the whole graphics thing is a non-issue for me. It's like when they reissued GTA V on PS4 and showed all the side by side graphical improvements, but then when I actually played the game I didn't notice any difference.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #220
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Just got mine for my Pip Boy Edition (PC) which is for sale if anyone is interested. Should arrive with me by Thursday.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fallout 4 , nuka cola , the lone wanderer