Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #2861
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
And the streaming services are ridiculous if they think that this latter comment isn't going to feed right into the former.

I am not dropping Netflix. I may, MAY, add a second service but I am not going beyond that. What I am hoping happens is Disney's push falls flat and other companies contemplating similar moves opt to just stick to producing content for other services. May as well make some money as opposed to just having all your content put up on torrent sites for free. If Netflix at its height proved anything, it's that people won't pirate if there is an affordable choice with good viewing options.
What I think will happen is the streaming services will proliferate, most will fail and then consolidate one a few key ones.

While this is happening, I expect I'll be hopping around between different providers. Many of them will have promotions to try to win over customers. I'll just hop around consuming content from one or two at a time. Then move on to the next one. Maybe I'll keep Netflix as a baseline and then cycle the rest. But if they keep reducing their content while raising prices, we'll see.

I just arranged for Amazon Prime free for a year through Stack. I haven't even set it up yet, but expect that I will over the holidays. (Stack is a prepaid MC with no fees. Prime is free for a year for signing up and setting up payment through the card. Each monthly Prime subscription payment is then reimbursed.)
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #2862
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife watched Princess Switch and I caught the last twenty minutes. Her review of the entire product (as a watcher of all corny Netflix originals) was that “it was okay”. Based on the last twenty minutes I’d be legitimately uncomfortable around a grown man who seriously called it one of his favorite movies.

Can confirm, I just told her about this conversation and her response was “what a weirdo, it wasn’t even a good movie.”
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:31 PM   #2863
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highly recommend watching the movie Dumplin just added to Netflix, it’s awesome!!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:56 AM   #2864
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
My wife watched Princess Switch and I caught the last twenty minutes. Her review of the entire product (as a watcher of all corny Netflix originals) was that “it was okay”. Based on the last twenty minutes I’d be legitimately uncomfortable around a grown man who seriously called it one of his favorite movies.

Can confirm, I just told her about this conversation and her response was “what a weirdo, it wasn’t even a good movie.”
It’s funny how culture has gotten to a point where men who are into video games and superheroes are now trying to define what’s appropriate for a “grown man.” Glass houses folks, let Sliver wave that freak flag.

Princess Switch is as good as you want it to be.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 04:57 AM   #2865
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think he actually likes it, is the thing. I think he gets his jollies by coming in CP and posting borderline outrageous / ridiculous stuff and then laughing about how many people he can get to take him seriously.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #2866
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

let's say he is serious and really liked the movie.

why the heck would you be "legitimately uncomfortable " around a guy who really enjoyed the movie.
what's the big deal?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #2867
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
And the streaming services are ridiculous if they think that this latter comment isn't going to feed right into the former.

I am not dropping Netflix. I may, MAY, add a second service but I am not going beyond that. What I am hoping happens is Disney's push falls flat and other companies contemplating similar moves opt to just stick to producing content for other services. May as well make some money as opposed to just having all your content put up on torrent sites for free. If Netflix at its height proved anything, it's that people won't pirate if there is an affordable choice with good viewing options.
I pay a crapload for cable, and have Netflix. If I can't find it there, ya, I "borrow it form the big library". If these media folks can't find a way to legally get my aprox $200/month of media spending, that's on them. I'm not paying for every service. I have my limits. I even paid for HBO for Game of Thrones last year so I could watch it at 7, instead of downloading and watching at 9. Joke was on me, they delayed the broadcast out west, becuase screw customers.

Honestly I'd rather have either a micro-transaction PPV, or a flat media rate per month that goes to whoever made what I watched based on timed percentage. So say I pay $200 per month, I watch Princess Switch(yah, right!), and that takes 0.5% of my total monthly time watched, the Princess gets $1. Maybe have quality tiers as multipliers or something, so Guy's Grocery Games is only worth .2 of Star Wars. We've got the tech now to do stuff like this, they should be exploring other models.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #2868
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
let's say he is serious and really liked the movie.

why the heck would you be "legitimately uncomfortable " around a guy who really enjoyed the movie.
what's the big deal?
I'm curious too. I watch movie like this with my wife from time to time and I enjoy some of them much more than others.. They may not be what I would choose to watch myself, but it doesn't mean they can't be enjoyable.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #2869
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have shaw and netflix. I only watch survivor. When that's over I'm dumping cable, and getting crave+HBO and keeping netflix. I'm also going to try Sportsnet now. So, I'm looking at $55/month for content I will watch.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #2870
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I'm curious too. I watch movie like this with my wife from time to time and I enjoy some of them much more than others.. They may not be what I would choose to watch myself, but it doesn't mean they can't be enjoyable.
Right... but there's clearly a big difference between "I got stuck watching this with my wife and was surprised it was decent" and "This is my new favorite movie and I've watched it 5 times in just a couple weeks".

But, sure guys, being borderline obsessed with a "living out your princess fantasy" movie is totally normal behavior. My bad...?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #2871
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Right... but there's clearly a big difference between "I got stuck watching this with my wife and was surprised it was decent" and "This is my new favorite movie and I've watched it 5 times in just a couple weeks".

But, sure guys, being borderline obsessed with a "living out your princess fantasy" movie is totally normal behavior. My bad...?
Again, it’s really no different than watching 30 different comic book fantasy movies. Explain how it isn’t normal compared to the type of entertainment you enjoy.

It’s a pretty lighthearted and fun escapist movie. It’s silly, doesn’t ask a lot, and is entertaining (even in its stupidity). Who cares if it’s a princess movie? What does that matter?

Would I watch it five times? No, but there are a hundred different things I wouldn’t even watch once that people seem to love. Doesn’t make me uncomfortable being around them. Seems like you have some hang ups you need to let go of.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #2872
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Again, it’s really no different than watching 30 different comic book fantasy movies. Explain how it isn’t normal compared to the type of entertainment you enjoy.

It’s a pretty lighthearted and fun escapist movie. It’s silly, doesn’t ask a lot, and is entertaining (even in its stupidity). Who cares if it’s a princess movie? What does that matter?

Would I watch it five times? No, but there are a hundred different things I wouldn’t even watch once that people seem to love. Doesn’t make me uncomfortable being around them. Seems like you have some hang ups you need to let go of.
Again, it’s really no different than watching 30 different Princess fantasy movies. Explain how it isn’t normal compared to the type of entertainment you enjoy.

It’s a pretty lighthearted and fun escapist movie. It’s silly, doesn’t ask a lot, and is entertaining (even in its stupidity). Who cares if it’s Comic book movie? What does that matter?

Those two words are very interchangeable lol to be honest change it with any movie genre and you get the exact same argument. Lets all agree that we all have different taste in movie. PepsiFree, what is curious is your attack on Video Game playing Comic Book movie watching middle aged men. Can you expand on your general dislike for this group of people? seems you have some underlying issues.

Also if any of you want to watch a great movie on Netflix, whether you are a "Comic book nerd" or a "Princess Fantasy Wierdo" go watch "A Futile and Stupid Gesture".

Last edited by Since1984; 12-11-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #2873
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #2874
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm hooked on RuPaul's drag race. binge watching it right now and up to season 6. Love the show, and have no problem admitting when I find one of the contestants attractive.

right now it's my favorite show.

what do you and your wife think of a straight guy who loves Drag Race?
am I now an in denial closeted gay according to you two?

If someone enjoys a show, who cares? for princess switch, maybe someone finds it an enjoyable, light hearted fantasy with the bonus of an attractive woman, and it lets them take their mind off life's troubles for a bit.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #2875
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I'm hooked on RuPaul's drag race. binge watching it right now and up to season 6. Love the show, and have no problem admitting when I find one of the contestants attractive.

right now it's my favorite show.

what do you and your wife think of a straight guy who loves Drag Race?
am I now an in denial closeted gay according to you two?

If someone enjoys a show, who cares? for princess switch, maybe someone finds it an enjoyable, light hearted fantasy with the bonus of an attractive woman, and it lets them take their mind off life's troubles for a bit.
Drag Race is awesome. Been watching for a few weeks now and it's definitely top-tier reality competition stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #2876
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Those two words are very interchangeable lol to be honest change it with any movie genre and you get the exact same argument. Lets all agree that we all have different taste in movie. PepsiFree, what is curious is your attack on Video Game playing Comic Book movie watching middle aged men. Can you expand on your general dislike for this group of people? seems you have some underlying issues.
No issue whatsoever. We actually agree.

Comic book fantasies, like princess fantasies, both fall outside the historical mould of masculin maturity. They’re both silly, fun, and play off the things we were attached to as children. So to be a fan of one and say “grown men liking the other makes me uncomfortable!” is just hypocritical and odd.

People like what they like. Sliver saying his loves Princess Switch is really no different than someone saying they love the Avengers. They’re equally outside the realm of what’s “ok” for “grown men” to like, but who cares?
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #2877
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

He rides a disability scooter when he isn't disabled and you're worried about this?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #2878
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is crave + HBO worth the 20 bucks?
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #2879
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I dont know about Crave but my wife and I have effectively capitulated that HBO can just take our money.

I'm thoroughly pleased with HBO's content.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #2880
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
100%.

Great television content, and a good selection of recentish big movies (box office movies that are 9-12 months out from debuting at the theatre).

Watching HBO stuff the day it airs might be worth it alone. The quality of HBO programming can’t be overstated.