Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #281
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just watched Episode 3 of Lower Decks. That’s more like it. Hilarious ending, with the most important man in Starfleet History...
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tabaracci_31 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #282
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Episode 4...still some cringey moments and having trouble finding its footing at times, but we're on the right track here.

Its still a little 'Final Space/Rick and Morty' mixed with Star Trek but I think its finding its feet.

How many episodes are they going for?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #283
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will fully admit though that my first thought with that episode was:

"Thats Constructive Dismissal in 2020....Starfleet is gonna get sued!! Shes going to get all the Gold-Pressed Latinum..."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-27-2020, 12:24 PM   #284
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its 10 episodes ending on Oct 8th, and then the next week Discovery returns.

Yeah, I thought last weeks episode was good, Looking forward to this weeks tonight.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #285
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Someone Photoshopped the Motion Picture uniforms in TOS colours and I wish someone would remaster the movie. Not that it would make it more exciting.

https://twitter.com/CineastBenRowe/s...68195190341632
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:42 PM   #286
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I honestly still love STTMP. I think part of it was the thrill of the return of Star Trek.

I thought the idea was great, I thought some of the cinematography was gorgeous and the sound trek.

It took half the movie but then we saw the chemistry between the characters return.

I think that it was a nice change from the action oriented sci fi movie.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #287
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I honestly still love STTMP. I think part of it was the thrill of the return of Star Trek.

I thought the idea was great, I thought some of the cinematography was gorgeous and the sound trek.

It took half the movie but then we saw the chemistry between the characters return.

I think that it was a nice change from the action oriented sci fi movie.
You're crazy.

That movie was boring as hell.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:06 PM   #288
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You're crazy.

That movie was boring as hell.
It might be worth a rewatch. And as odd as it seems, watch the extended version. Now that I'm older, maybe I don't need as much action in a movie... and there is no action in this movie. It's pretty hard sci-fi.

It's the anti-Abrams.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #289
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

they had the option of going Star Wars, or 2001 Space Odyssey, and they chose the latter. now they're currently doing the former. honestly, the TMP pacing fits Star Trek better if I had to choose between the two, but movie executives won't be excited about the dollar signs coming out of that format.

then again, not like Action Star Trek is making huge bucks either, so why not trust your audience with a more cerebral experience?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:24 PM   #290
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just watched Episode 5 of Lower Decks. Probably my favourite one yet. The characters seem to be rounding into form, IMO. I loathed Mariner at first but she’s growing on me. Rutherford and Tendi are my favs. They make a great duo.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:41 PM   #291
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

They might have mentioned Vancouver more than peter12.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #292
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
They might have mentioned Vancouver more than peter12.
I appreciated the irony.

"Vancouver is the greatest thing ever!! But we all hate it and need to leave!!"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #293
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The new official Star Trek podcast has been announced. It starts Sept 14th and it's hosted by Tawny Newsome and Paul F. Tompkins, who are both hilarious so it should be fun.

https://ca.startrek.com/news/star-tr...r-trek-podcast
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 03:58 PM   #294
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lower Decks is a bit of a roller coaster, some great and some lulls but its chugging away in the right direction I think.

They've either got to make some of the ancillary characters contribute more and carry some weight or start expanding that pool.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #295
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lower Decks is a bit of a roller coaster, some great and some lulls but its chugging away in the right direction I think.

They've either got to make some of the ancillary characters contribute more and carry some weight or start expanding that pool.
I like the show but it bothers me that they sold the show as the story of the insignificant workers on the ship, and it ends up those workers interact with the highest-ranking people on a regular basis. One of them is the Captain's daughter, FFS.

I don't want a show where the crew goes on dangerous missions, and interacts with hostile aliens, and all that stuff. I want to see how they handle the mundanity of everyday life. Basically Sealab 2021 in space.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 06:02 AM   #296
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I like the show but it bothers me that they sold the show as the story of the insignificant workers on the ship, and it ends up those workers interact with the highest-ranking people on a regular basis. One of them is the Captain's daughter, FFS.

I don't want a show where the crew goes on dangerous missions, and interacts with hostile aliens, and all that stuff. I want to see how they handle the mundanity of everyday life. Basically Sealab 2021 in space.
Constantly following the mundane work of the lower deck crew would get old quick. The writers still need to make each episode interesting for viewers.

As for interaction with the ship's senior officers, it's pretty much a necessity as to set up plot devices. You can't have an episode starting with the lower deck crew taking on whatever task they're doing without a senior officers having some role in it

Also, I love that in the 24th century, they're still eating nachos and taco salads
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 08:45 AM   #297
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Last nights episode was a miss for me, after two strong episodes, it slipped back to being more annoying then funny, but that's going to happen.

I still love the idea of the lower end crew members and their stories. Not everyone should have a luxury one bedroom one living room with your own bathroom on what is essentially a naval vessel. Its one of the reasons why I liked the defiant, they had actual bunk beds in their cabins and they were tiny.

I've often thought there was a story about the waiter that served Romulan Wine in Star Trek 6, or in the same movie the poor bastards in the kitchen. Actually Star Trek 6 touched on it when they had again bunk beds and shared cabins in that movie.

The people have a totally different story then the usual. mopping the decks, replacing endless cores. Boring repetitive work that nobody wants to do. (Show needs an episode where they have to unplug a toilet though). The added element of a really arrogant incompetent bridge crew to me is fun. yeah at times in this series, the main characters venture into the whole, I get why you're never getting out of the lower decks. because you annoy everyone you come into contact with.

Overall I like the show, but it is going to become competitive.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 09:49 PM   #298
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Random article about a massive effort to reprint every ST comic ever, regardless of publisher.

I don’t read ST comics but this is pretty cool.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/09/10/mos...ay-fall-short/
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #299
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hahahah, this week’s episode of “Lower Decks” was outrageous in the best way possible! This may have been my favourite episode yet. Was it perfect? Absolutely not. It can still be a bit of a disaster. But it was consistently funny throughout the episode. Each plot was silly in it’s own fun way. Curious to hear if others share my viewpoint.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:53 PM   #300
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabaracci_31 View Post
Hahahah, this week’s episode of “Lower Decks” was outrageous in the best way possible! This may have been my favourite episode yet. Was it perfect? Absolutely not. It can still be a bit of a disaster. But it was consistently funny throughout the episode. Each plot was silly in it’s own fun way. Curious to hear if others share my viewpoint.
Loved the silliness. I love the Star Ttek universe, but this comedy feel. Still the same star trekish space oddities and problems, but a comedy, not a drama.

Did you catch the “jellico” reference?