Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2020, 11:23 AM   #301
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It portrays the IRA quite negatively..
How do you portray the IRA positively?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:00 PM   #302
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
How do you portray the IRA positively?
I haven’t read any comics glorifying the IRA so I can’t answer that. But it’s not really to relevant to why I asked him.

Extreme might be a better word. Basically punisher went on a long tirade explaining why he hates the IRA and called them a bunch of ####s or whatever. I asked him because he is Irish and wanted to know if the things Punisher said were his views or purely the views of a character he wrote.

He gave a good yes and explanation as to why the IRA were a failure and a bunch of pansies or whatever Punisher called them.

He’s known for writing some seriously effed up, politically incorrect stuff so I was curious where he stood personally.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:37 PM   #303
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try and watch an episode of each and will probably just end up picking one. I don't have a large appetite for TV shows, but I really like the idea of a CP tour through prime.
I always think the person who asks CP for movie/tv/podcast/music suggestions should return to tell the brain trust who what absolutely right, and who the a-hole is that led them astray.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #304
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For Prime, I really like Little Fire Everywhere, Man in the High Castle, Bosch, Preacher, Sneaky Pete, The Boys, The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, American Gods and Goliath.

I have also heard really good things about Good Omens, Upload, Carnival Row, Hanna and Hunters
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #305
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Bosch is an old-school procedural. It's a slow burn, but personally that's what I love about it...the characters, the mood, the architecture.

If you're the type who prefers constant action, rapid-fire dialogue, things blowing up, characters with superpowers... it's probably not for you.
I like none of these things. I loved the Wire.

Bosch is boring as hell and Titus Welliver just doesn't do it for me.

:P
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #306
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Bosch. You will not regret it.
Is this show about appliances? Is the dishwasher the main character?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #307
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I always think the person who asks CP for movie/tv/podcast/music suggestions should return to tell the brain trust who what absolutely right, and who the a-hole is that led them astray.

I'll do it, but it's going to take me the whole month and everyone will have forgotten about it, but I'll still do it.

e: Before I bite off more than I can chew, it'll be a review of the first episode of each and which serie(s) I pick as the one(s) to stick with.

Last edited by Matata; 09-04-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #308
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fleabag was great. I would consider it HBO caliber as a minimum, and done without an HBO budget.

Also a lot of good international programs and films. There was a FIFA corruption based drama in Spanish called El Presidente. They made a boring story into a hilarious side show.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #309
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

First couple episodes of The Boys S2 was okayyyy. Not as enjoyable as the first so far. Urban seems to have veered in Captain Jack Sparrow territory with his character. But I’ll keep watching.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:01 AM   #310
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
First couple episodes of The Boys S2 was okayyyy. Not as enjoyable as the first so far. Urban seems to have veered in Captain Jack Sparrow territory with his character. But I’ll keep watching.
Episode 3 felt back on form though.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #311
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Episode 3 felt back on form though.
Patton Oswald voicing The Deeps lungs was freaking awesome.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 08:09 PM   #312
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Fleabag was great. I would consider it HBO caliber as a minimum, and done without an HBO budget.

Also a lot of good international programs and films. There was a FIFA corruption based drama in Spanish called El Presidente. They made a boring story into a hilarious side show.
Fleabag is absolutely among the heavyweights of prestige TV. No idea about the budget but the cast is first rate.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 11:35 PM   #313
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

WTF. Want season 1 of The Boys released all at once? I was planning on watching all night.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 09-07-2020, 07:20 AM   #314
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I think releasing the first 3 episodes, then one a week is a great compromise.

The three gets you to binge and get your fix; but it's still a small enough quantity that you can discuss with friends, online, and read the reviews and theories. Then the one a week for the next five weeks allows for that discussion to continue.

That's what missing with the dropping all the episodes at once, you're missing having fans grow, you're missing the interaction, you're missing letting the fanbase grow organically as people discuss and others overhear/join conversations.

The best part of shows like Lost, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones was talking about last week's episode, what it meant, and theorize what's going to happen all week. Then do it all over again the next week.

When they drop all at once, you miss too many subtleties, you miss thinking about the show, and you miss discussing with people.

I watched all three when they dropped. One Friday night and two Saturday. I needed them watched before Saturday night as it was the birthday of the friend of mine who introduced me to The Boys. I figured he'd be caught up, so I needed to be.

Alas, he was away, and therefore didn't see any.

Next time we can talk about 3-4 episodes, no big deal. If I was caught up on the entire season, and he didn't see any, likely we wouldn't have much more than a conversation about highlights and less so about the minutia.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #315
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't hate the 3+ 1 weekly today nearly as much as I did two days ago. I mean, I'd prefer a 3+3 or a 3+2 or whatever, but I am liking the anticipation. Easy for my friends who didn't watch it immediately to get caught up, and we can progress through the rest 'together'.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #316
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I think releasing the first 3 episodes, then one a week is a great compromise.

The three gets you to binge and get your fix; but it's still a small enough quantity that you can discuss with friends, online, and read the reviews and theories. Then the one a week for the next five weeks allows for that discussion to continue.

That's what missing with the dropping all the episodes at once, you're missing having fans grow, you're missing the interaction, you're missing letting the fanbase grow organically as people discuss and others overhear/join conversations.

The best part of shows like Lost, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones was talking about last week's episode, what it meant, and theorize what's going to happen all week. Then do it all over again the next week.

When they drop all at once, you miss too many subtleties, you miss thinking about the show, and you miss discussing with people.

I watched all three when they dropped. One Friday night and two Saturday. I needed them watched before Saturday night as it was the birthday of the friend of mine who introduced me to The Boys. I figured he'd be caught up, so I needed to be.

Alas, he was away, and therefore didn't see any.

Next time we can talk about 3-4 episodes, no big deal. If I was caught up on the entire season, and he didn't see any, likely we wouldn't have much more than a conversation about highlights and less so about the minutia.
Solid opinion.

I thought I'd be pissed about it, but I think we have to really step back and re-evaluate the 'instant gratification' from full seasons being released all at once.

This is an interesting release format and I kind of like it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #317
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Time to resurrect "The Boys" thread.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #318
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Spoiler!
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #319
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Prime released a trailer for a new show called Utopia starring John Cusak, Rainn Wilson, Sasha Lane and Desmin Borges. It is based on a British show of the same name.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:24 PM   #320
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just watch the original, some of the best TV ever made.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post: