Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #701
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Avenue - top 10 Calgary

http://globalnews.ca/news/3275690/av...ants-for-2017/

Alloy
Anju
Blink
Model Milk
Native Tongues
Pigeonhole
River Café
Rouge
Ten Foot Henry
Whitehall
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #702
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Avenue - top 10 Calgary

http://globalnews.ca/news/3275690/av...ants-for-2017/

Alloy
Anju
Blink
Model Milk
Native Tongues
Pigeonhole
River Café
Rouge
Ten Foot Henry
Whitehall
Of note, the restaurants are not ranked this year. Just listed in alphabetical order.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #703
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Has anybody been to Buttermilk? Any thoughts on it? Is it popular/busy? Food any good?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #704
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw a new restaurant sign go up in my 'hood....

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...ste-of-halifax

King of Donair!!!!
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #705
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tried a little Uzbekistan restaurant off of 17th ave SE called Begim.

Something different for sure, but I really enjoyed it. Pretty "rich" food though. If you feel like going outside of the box, this place falls into that category.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #706
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blink is perpetually overrated.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #707
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post

Something different for sure, but I really enjoyed it. Pretty "rich" food though. If you feel like going outside of the box, this place falls into that category.
Thanks. I had to look up the menu:

http://www.begim.ca/
Old 03-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #708
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love some of these list's and "Best restaurant" winners that we see all the time.

The irony is that a lot of these places are generally so over hyped and such trends. I read either a Globe and Mail piece or a National Post piece recently on the struggling dining scene in Calgary due to the economy. They interviewed several places who had been a part of these lists. They all talked about the issues at play which include the economy, expense accounts, $15 minimum wage, NDP, staff turnover, taxes, city regulation etc. All of these reasons are valid concerns without a doubt but the irony is that a lot of these places just aren't that good when it comes down to it and customers vote with their wallets.

The truth is that there are MANY establishments who are dealing with the exact same items and even worse and have thrived in Calgary for 30 or 40 years and dealt with MANY downturns over their course of their lifetime.

Having been in the business myself and my family for many years I can assure you that it comes down to ownership, customer service, consistency, value and staying true to you and your customers. It's a tough business in a lot of ways but the ones that survive are the ones who actually know what they are doing and not just the latest trend.

I am not saying anything bad about any of the places listed in the thread above but with a lot of other lists I have seen, a lot of the places that were on them, are no longer in business.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:03 PM   #709
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I love some of these list's and "Best restaurant" winners that we see all the time.

The irony is that a lot of these places are generally so over hyped and such trends. I read either a Globe and Mail piece or a National Post piece recently on the struggling dining scene in Calgary due to the economy. They interviewed several places who had been a part of these lists. They all talked about the issues at play which include the economy, expense accounts, $15 minimum wage, NDP, staff turnover, taxes, city regulation etc. All of these reasons are valid concerns without a doubt but the irony is that a lot of these places just aren't that good when it comes down to it and customers vote with their wallets.

The truth is that there are MANY establishments who are dealing with the exact same items and even worse and have thrived in Calgary for 30 or 40 years and dealt with MANY downturns over their course of their lifetime.

Having been in the business myself and my family for many years I can assure you that it comes down to ownership, customer service, consistency, value and staying true to you and your customers. It's a tough business in a lot of ways but the ones that survive are the ones who actually know what they are doing and not just the latest trend.

I am not saying anything bad about any of the places listed in the thread above but with a lot of other lists I have seen, a lot of the places that were on them, are no longer in business.
Pretty sure people that work for minimum wage wish this was true now and not in late 2018 as is the actual plan.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #710
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
Pretty sure people that work for minimum wage wish this was true now and not in late 2018 as is the actual plan.

Ohh I fully agree with you and the fact that the $15 min wage isn't coming for a while.

On of the things I have noticed is that when the economy was booming, everybody had money and expense accounts downtown, a lot of the resto's around town were busy.

Now a lot of the places who aren't busy, are doing the Groupon's, have closed down are all looking at excuses and external factors as reasons for their situation. Very few places are actually looking at their own issues.

Perfect example was a pub I frequent down in the SW in a nice area. The place does decent business but their quality has gone down and the prices keep increasing. I was there the other day for the Flames game and it happened to be wing night. It was busy but the idiot "Manager" had zero clue how to seat tables. He loaded up all the 6 top tables/booths with deuces and 3's when it was't busy. Well as soon as 5 pm hits and everybody shows up after work, there isn't a lot of room left for the larger tables of 4-8's and the line grew longer and longer. He kept telling everybody it would be 5 minutes and after 25 minutes a few waiting tables left he proceeded to say to a waitress "fuc*** people have zero patience, don't they know its wing night??"

Garbage experiences like that are why some people don't repeat establishments. This isn't the only joint in town offering Flames hockey, $.35 wings and Bud Light on special.

Also this guy could have done the tables waiting and his waitresses a massive favor of clearing some tables as soon as people left instead of trashing waiting customers and looking at the waitresses's ass.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #711
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone checked out The Still? I noticed they are in the same spot Loungeburger used to be near the dome, hope they can make a go of it
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #712
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Has anyone checked out The Still? I noticed they are in the same spot Loungeburger used to be near the dome, hope they can make a go of it
Yah I have been.

The beef dip I had was terrible. Meat wasn't tasty or warm and the dip was cold too. Also I ordered a ceaser salad with it, and it was Kale. Disgusting. If you are going to make your ceaser salad Kale, at least put it on the menu that way so I won't order it.

Took a long time to get our food and it still came out 1 at a time to our 6 top..

We won't be going back.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #713
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

One place that's perpetually underrated is Brasserie in Kensington. Always fantastic.

Also in Kensington, Vero Bistro is consistently excellent.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:02 AM   #714
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
One place that's perpetually underrated is Brasserie in Kensington. Always fantastic.

Also in Kensington, Vero Bistro is consistently excellent.
We were just at Brasserie last night for dinner, really enjoyed our meals. Got to love those fried chicken skins, great way to start off.

Vero is still our #1 in the neighbourhood, fantastic meals every time we've been. Love the atmosphere of the small location and the wait staff are always excellent.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #715
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmm...this is making me think it's time for another visit to Vero.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #716
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Brasserie is only underrated by people who haven't been there.

The worst thing about that place is that I don't try anywhere else in Kensington because of how good they treat us. One of the best, if not the best chef tables in Calgary.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #717
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post

I've noticed that place and always got a chuckle out of it. Uzbek restaurant and the only times I have seen it is at night and there always seem to be black Mercedes' parked outside and nothing else. Brings to mind Russian mob images. the menus does look pretty good however!
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #718
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Ox and Angela has a good feature - $35 each for 10 tapas. Great chocolate cake for only $6.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #719
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm waiting to hear about The Big Taste reviews from you guys! Anyone been out?
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #720
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Ox and Angela has a good feature - $35 each for 10 tapas. Great chocolate cake for only $6.
I don't see this on their website. Is this only for a particular night or a happy hour special?
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business