Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-12-2021, 06:31 PM   #3961
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Does it say the name of the person associated with the QR code so it can then be checked against a license?
When you scan the code, it shows your name and birth date, so it can be checked.

From my understanding, all of the information is contained in the QR code and it doesn't need to run an online check or anything to confirm.

There's supposedly some kind of key embedded in it that confirms it's a valid code, but I guess we'll see over the next couple of days if it's possible to change the info and generate a code that will scan successfully. Apparently, when it launched, the Quebec one could be fooled that way, but they quickly fixed it. Hopefully, the AB government learned from that, but given everything else they've done, I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #3962
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Does it say the name of the person associated with the QR code so it can then be checked against a license?

Yes...name and birth date.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 07:04 PM   #3963
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank god they may have got this one right.
Frequitude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #3964
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

My husband's cousin in SE Alberta is 35ish years old, a relatively big guy. He isn't anti-vaxx, just procrastinated about getting the vaccine said he was waiting until he had some time. With everything happening in recent weeks he decided to go in about a week and a half ago and get his first dose.

He was intubated today in the Lethbridge ICU, and it's not looking good. He caught Covid sometime over the last couple weeks. I'm so sad and frustrated by his and his families wasted time procrastinating about getting the shot. They were never against it, just weren't affected and didn't see the urgency. They understand the severity now, their community was relatively untouched until recently but now it may be too late for him. It's devastating.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 10:15 PM   #3965
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
My husband's cousin in SE Alberta is 35ish years old, a relatively big guy. He isn't anti-vaxx, just procrastinated about getting the vaccine said he was waiting until he had some time. With everything happening in recent weeks he decided to go in about a week and a half ago and get his first dose.

He was intubated today in the Lethbridge ICU, and it's not looking good. He caught Covid sometime over the last couple weeks. I'm so sad and frustrated by his and his families wasted time procrastinating about getting the shot. They were never against it, just weren't affected and didn't see the urgency. They understand the severity now, their community was relatively untouched until recently but now it may be too late for him. It's devastating.
Hopefully he is one of the lucky ones where the first dose, although not 14 + days out, can help the immune system. I have seen it in a few instances where the first dose has potentially helped and kept people alive.

God speed to him and keep us posted.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:46 PM   #3966
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Hopefully he is one of the lucky ones where the first dose, although not 14 + days out, can help the immune system. I have seen it in a few instances where the first dose has potentially helped and kept people alive.

God speed to him and keep us posted.
Unfortunately once it's reached the intubation stage there's no difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated patients.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #3967
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
  • 312,285 Total cases
  • 652 Cases on October 12
  • 295,166 Recovered cases
  • 2,901 Deaths

• 14,218 Active cases*
  • 1,027 In hospital
  • 236 In intensive care**

• 5,691,338 Total tests completed
  • 8,620 Tests on October 12
  • 2,472,922 People tested
  • 6,259,239 Vaccine doses as of October 12
As near as I can tell, there were 38 additional deaths reported yesterday. Good news is the cases are trending down, though testing was low yesterday.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #3968
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sounds like a record high for reported deaths. Do they publish a breakdown of vaccination rates amongst the deaths?
Old 10-13-2021, 04:46 PM   #3969
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank f-ck active cases are continuing their precipitous drop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
That sounds like a record high for reported deaths. Do they publish a breakdown of vaccination rates amongst the deaths?
Table 11 and on, although it's for the last 120 days of reporting.
https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...ccine-outcomes
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 04:49 PM   #3970
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Cases are dropping because?

Too soon for the vaccines to do anything. What else is happening?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:54 PM   #3971
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Restrictions, probably.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:02 PM   #3972
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

well some combination of vaccines, the restrictions, and dare I say it--natural immunity...

at any rate the rolling 7 day average is below 1000 for the first time since late August- sure a long weekend helps in there drops the numbers a little, but fairly clear we are on a downswing..for now
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:26 PM   #3973
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I'm actually seriously wondering. What kind of restrictions were in place?

Or did people start to be more careful cause the province finally admitted there was a serious problem.

I don't think you can really pin it on vaccines for a few more weeks, no?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:32 PM   #3974
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A lot of people probably started following their own "restrictions" once it was clear this province is run by morons.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #3975
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Or did people start to be more careful cause the province finally admitted there was a serious problem.

150,000 infections or so in wave 4 is about a 3.5% increase in immunity.
General decrease in contacts just by raising the public profile.

Vaccination probably helps somewhat as that Israeli study showed the vaccine was having an affect after 1 week post single dose but that was non-delta. (The study showed and increase in infection rate for the first 7 days, probably behavioural, followed by dropping infection rates which over came the initial rise after 14 days)

The key thing is that it doesnít take much to change the direction of growth. 10 people infect 9 vs 10 people infect 11.

Iím somewhat worried this is a false bottom and schools are going to explode increasing overall cases but I havenít looked for evidence to prove or disprove that.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #3976
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
2nd of January had 30 reported, which was the previous high. Unfortunately I haven't found anywhere that posts deaths by vaccination status. Seems it would be useful to show people that.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:15 PM   #3977
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Masking and reduced capacities in retail stores, vaccine passport for restaurants, theatres, etc. The passport is what moved the needle, honestly. Vaccinations will continue to drive the reduction.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 07:18 PM   #3978
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been 3 weeks since the latest restrictions were brought in, so I think it makes sense that we're seeing a drop now.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:51 PM   #3979
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

The amount of people who have gotten covid or gotten vaccinated recently isn't significant as a total percentage of the population, but it is significant as a percentage of those without immunity. Like ggg said, if you switch from 10 people giving it to 11 to 10 people giving it to 9 you switch to exponential decline from exponential growth. And giving 10-20% of the remaining unvaxxed natural immunity probably accomplishes that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

I’m somewhat worried this is a false bottom and schools are going to explode increasing overall cases but I haven’t looked for evidence to prove or disprove that.
Any reason you'd expect next month to be worse than last month? If cases are going down in the community it seems likely they'll go down in school.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #3980
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The amount of people who have gotten covid or gotten vaccinated recently isn't significant as a total percentage of the population, but it is significant as a percentage of those without immunity. Like ggg said, if you switch from 10 people giving it to 11 to 10 people giving it to 9 you switch to exponential decline from exponential growth. And giving 10-20% of the remaining unvaxxed natural immunity probably accomplishes that.

Any reason you'd expect next month to be worse than last month? If cases are going down in the community it seems likely they'll go down in school.
Iím reading too much Imgrund Twitter where the infection rates in schools are far higher then in the general community.

So what I havenít looked at is if cases are going down equally across all age groups or of kids are flat while rest of pop decreases.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote