Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #781
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really want to spend a few weeks in Mexico or the Caribbean this winter but my wife is nervous and doesn’t think she wants to go. I’m hoping the COVID-19 situation improves by decision time.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #782
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Oh FFS I just sold my place in Montana 11 days ago
Well good news, you have the proceeds from selling your place in Montana to buy a new place in Montana!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 12:08 PM   #783
DoubleF
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Well good news, you have the proceeds from selling your place in Montana to buy a new place in Montana!
I know you're kinda joking, but I'm actually curious to know if places like this will drop or shoot up in value in a few months time.

I'd assume right now vacation properties are actually a little higher right now as people find ways to vacation away from others due to the pandemic... but once that need is no longer required (ie: higher vaccination rates, herd immunity hope etc.) whether those prices will suddenly plummet as some people cash out of these properties that they bought on a whim.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #784
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I really want to spend a few weeks in Mexico or the Caribbean this winter but my wife is nervous and doesn’t think she wants to go. I’m hoping the COVID-19 situation improves by decision time.
You should let your wife know, if anything this is the time to go as the crowds are not there.

My family is cruising for 2 weeks in December. Our ship will prob have around 1200-1600 people on it while it normally has over 4000. I am going to have a frikking great time!
csnarpy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 12:53 PM   #785
Calgary14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Will travellers using the US land border still need a negative test when coming back into Canada?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:08 PM   #786
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Will travellers using the US land border still need a negative test when coming back into Canada?
Currently yes. The requirement from the Canadian government is that everyone who is over 5 and entering Canada by any means requires a negative PCR test 72 hours prior.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 03:27 PM   #787
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
You should let your wife know, if anything this is the time to go as the crowds are not there.
I know people who just got back from Italy and they say it was fantastic. Considering that before the pandemic overcrowding had reached crisis levels at many popular tourism destinations, for people who are vaxxed and comfortable travelling this is an opportunity to visit a lot of places before the crushing crowds return.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:20 PM   #788
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post

My family is cruising for 2 weeks in December. Our ship will prob have around 1200-1600 people on it while it normally has over 4000. I am going to have a frikking great time!
Not only that, with the vaccination mandates, there will be that many fewer obnoxious Americans on the ship.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #789
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Currently yes. The requirement from the Canadian government is that everyone who is over 5 and entering Canada by any means requires a negative PCR test 72 hours prior.
Not to be pedantic on this, but it is aged 5 or over. My 5 year old needed a test when we came back - I'd hate to see someone get stuck at the border because they didn't get a test for their 5 year old!
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:59 AM   #790
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quick summary of my trip to Europe - if you are pondering a visit to France, go!

Longer details:
We flew through London and spent a couple of days there at the end. Since October 4, they have done away with their amber list and are recognizing Canadian vaccinations. So you can go to the UK with proof of vaccination and a booked "Day 2" test and not have to quarantine. You also have to fill in a Passenger Locator Form that lists when you arrive/depart, where you are staying, how to get ahold of you, etc. One comment on London, based on what the family was telling me and my observations, is that they are pretty much over caring about COVID. Mask usage on transit is <50% despite being mandatory. No vaccine passports, no one seems to care. Their case counts are an order a magnitude higher than France/Germany for example.

Spent a week plus in Paris and a few more days in smaller towns in France. Everyone takes mask mandates seriously, and the "passe sanitaire" app is just part of life. You scan to get into a restaurant/museum/hotel and no one makes a big deal about it. The app is pretty sweet - it has your QR code, a reader, the latest stats broken down by region, the notification functionality of Alberta's meagre app. All sorts of good bits. The most amazing thing is that Paris was dead - we would go entire days without hearing an american accent. Restaurants/cafes were filled with French folks and not many tourists at all. Maybe the odd German. But no lines at any museum, no crowds at the usual sites, transit was easy, just a really relaxed vibe. It all felt so - normal. We just lived our lives and didn't stress. R was about 0.75-0.8 while we were there, and ICU utilization was about 1/3 or less. Even smaller towns people were doing the right things.

One further thing about Paris - tents set up all over town for testing, vaccination, etc. You could go on a half hour walk and see 2-3 locations.

Belgium we were in Bruges, Gent, and Brussels. Again, not too many tourists aside from Bruges oddly. Masks being worn, vaccination proof being asked for occasionally but not as consistent as France. Had to do a Belgian passenger locator form. Belgium's numbers were higher than France, but still well below AB.

Spent a couple of days in Germany, they accepted our French QR codes no problem. Cologne was quiet, but I don't think it is a very touristy place to begin with.

As far as testing goes - antigen test to go to the UK from Calgary - $40. Antigen test when we got to Paris while we waited for our passe to be approved - 25 euros, government sets the price. PCR test to get back into Canada in London - 69 pounds. Again, price set by the government. Would really like to see Canada start accepting antigen tests. No one even checked our tests coming back this time, we just said we had them in the ArriveCAN app. We doubled up our UK day 2 test with our return to Canada test to save some cash.

Planes were about 80% full trans-atlantic. Eurostar was 70% full I would say.

All in all, we assessed the risk, we managed the risk, and everything turned out pretty great.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #791
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
U.S. to reopen land border to fully vaccinated Canadians next month (according to a U.S. congressman)...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/us-ca...open-1.6208838
It looks like November 8 will be the date of reopening:

Quote:
Come Nov. 8, fully vaccinated Canadians will once again be able to cross into the United States by land for leisure trips, the White House says.

A White House official told Global News the new policy applies to international air travellers as well.

On Nov. 8, non-essential travellers crossing land borders from Canada or Mexico will be asked about their vaccination status, and only those who are fully vaccinated will be allowed through. Proof of vaccination will be required if selected for random screening.

COVID-19 testing will not be required to enter the U.S. by land or sea, provided visitors meet vaccination requirements, officials said. Proof of a negative COVID-19 test is still required to board a flight to the U.S., and proof of vaccination will be mandatory.
https://globalnews.ca/news/8268245/c...ov-8-official/
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:29 AM   #792
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

White House reporter Josh Wingrove @josh_wingrove of Bloomberg News is claiming that his sources have confirmed the U.S. *will* accept mixed vaccinations for entry. https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove

Unlike the November 8 news posted above, this is not yet official.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #793
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got my third dose just now - 1st AZ, 2nd & 3rd Pfizer. Should be good to travel at least until mid-2022, should the opportunity present itself. Really hoping I can actually go somewhere next year without it feeling like a bad idea or unnecessary risk.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #794
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do I have requirements correct, based on what it seems we now know, for Can/US travel after Nov 8

Land border to US: Proof of vaccination
Land border to Canada: Negative test within 72 hours and proof of vaccination

Air travel to US: Proof of vaccination and negative test within 3 days of departure
Air travel to Canada: Proof of vaccination and negative test within 72 hours of flight departure for Canada
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:06 AM   #795
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Do I have requirements correct, based on what it seems we now know, for Can/US travel after Nov 8

Land border to US: Proof of vaccination
Land border to Canada: Negative test within 72 hours and proof of vaccination

Air travel to US: Proof of vaccination and negative test within 3 days of departure
Air travel to Canada: Proof of vaccination and negative test within 72 hours of flight departure for Canada
Looks correct to me! Also to note that Canada does not accept antigen test results for entry (by land or air), while the U.S. does.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 11:13 AM   #796
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why TF is testing still required going to the US by air, but not by land or sea?
One step forward, one step back.

Actually, according to the Canadian Government, people shouldn’t be travelling anyway, internationally or domestically.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #797
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does this mean it is impossible to cross the border without a vaccine? Asking for an antivaxer US citizen living in Canada...presumably he must be able to get home somehow, right?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #798
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Does this mean it is impossible to cross the border without a vaccine? Asking for an antivaxer US citizen living in Canada...presumably he must be able to get home somehow, right?

I believe unvaccinated US citizens just need a negative test to enter the US.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 11:57 AM   #799
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I believe unvaccinated US citizens just need a negative test to enter the US.
OK, and would he be allowed back into Canada? I assume he has some sort of status, since he's been here over 10 years and married a Canadian. He's not a citizen, though.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:01 PM   #800
Lubicon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Why TF is testing still required going to the US by air, but not by land or sea?
One step forward, one step back.

Actually, according to the Canadian Government, people shouldn’t be travelling anyway, internationally or domestically.
Only reason I can think of is they US doesn't want to have to distinguish between transborder and international air arrivals. Just makes it simpler to say all arrival by air require negative test. By land you can only arrive from Canada or Mexico and I would guess 99% of land border crossings are by Canadian, US, or Mexican citizens so fewer countries to worry about.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote