Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2021, 10:16 PM   #281
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
5v5 through the two games:

Leafs:
CF: 98 (59.8%)
FF: 81 (61.8%)
SF: 53 (58.2%)
SCF: 44 (57.9%)
HDCF: 20 (70.0%)
xGF: 3.79 (65.1%)

Flames:
CF: 66 (40.2%)
FF: 50 (38.2%)
SF: 38 (41.8%)
SCF: 32 (42.1%)
HDCF: 9 (30.0%)
xGF: 2.03 (34.9%)

The Leafs had more 5v5 high danger chances tonight alone (12) than the Flames did over 2 games against a 3rd string goaltender. Averaging 19 shots a game 5v5 against a 3rd string goalie is unacceptable.

BSD played out of his god damn mind to steal 3 points and some people are happy with those road games? If those are both losses like they should've been, fans are calling for everyones head. But instead we're going to let ourselves get blinded by 3 unearned points because we got back-to-back God-like performances from our goalie?

Yea, no thanks.
Un-deserved points are my favorite kind.

It gets the stat boys so rattled.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:16 PM   #282
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It’s funny - some use the fact there have been 4 coaches with similar results as proof positive the Flames don’t hire good coaches. That may be true, but the other explanation is that the Flames players just don’t perform that well no matter who their coach is.
Four coaches is 6 years is not an endorsement of the quality of coaches - if they were good coaches, there would have been 1 or 2.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:18 PM   #283
RedMan12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Just wait Flames fans....

BT will trade a high pick or prospect at the deadline....

Team will either not make the playoffs or out 1st round...

And Ward will be back next season...

This is the way...
This is the way...
Since 2007

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

You lack rawness, you lack passion, you couldn't make it through war without rations.

RedMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:19 PM   #284
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is this any different than people who stick to “if only we had a different coach they’d be better” coach after coach?
That's a strawman. No one has been calling for "different coaches". People have been calling for a better coach. Notice the difference.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:19 PM   #285
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is this any different than people who stick to “if only we had a different coach they’d be better” coach after coach?
I guess the simple answer is:

The team would at least be entertaining to watch. Which they were, even in the year Hartley got fired for.

Watching them fail to use 80% of the ice ("the middle") is not very fun to watch.

But I'm sure that's because of mental toughness. lol

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:19 PM   #286
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Funny, most of everything I read in the PGTs whether they win or lose are complaints about the professional athletes' ability to complete 5 foot passes as if these professional athletes cannot complete five foot passes.
Well, they didn’t complete passes. It’s not that they are unable. It’s that they didn’t execute.

The systems - debate them, fine. But no system makes Gaudreau pass to Monahan when he’s blanketed. No system has Bennett pass to a Leaf along the boards.

And a lot of the passes which were botched were ones which posters here complain the system doesn’t permit. Across to the weak side, stretch passes, up the middle.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:24 PM   #287
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, they didn’t complete passes. It’s not that they are unable. It’s that they didn’t execute.

The systems - debate them, fine. But no system makes Gaudreau pass to Monahan when he’s blanketed. No system has Bennett pass to a Leaf along the boards.

And a lot of the passes which were botched were ones which posters here complain the system doesn’t permit. Across to the weak side, stretch passes, up the middle.
Botched plays happen.

But when every shift is a botched play, by four lines and three d pairs, every game it is no longer a botched play by these professional athletes. It is a style of play being pursued, if unsuccessfully.

The fact that Ward "liked" our 3rd period reinforces that.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:25 PM   #288
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
You can repeat this claim but that doesn't make it true.

This team has been one of the better comeback teams, whether that's games or seasons, the last six years. That is the opposite of mentally weak.
Completely disagree. It's far easier to play well when behind when the game is lost and if you come back - great!
Mental discipline and commitment is more apparent in
- Consistency game to game and within games
- How you start a game, are you ready to go?
- Ability to rise to the occasion in big games
- How easy is it to knock you off your game? Or do you remain committed?

That's mental discipline.
Come-backs? Meh. That's a whole lotta of the other team letting off the pedal coupled with doses of luck.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:25 PM   #289
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed.

But here's the thing: these guys are NHLers, they know how to play. When one guy is struggling, they are having a bad game or are in a slump. But when an entire team is struggling, for 20 games, and they are all constantly making bad decisions, I see a team that is thinking too much and/or is trying to do what they're being told to do, instead of just playing.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:25 PM   #290
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
That's a strawman. No one has been calling for "different coaches". People have been calling for a better coach. Notice the difference.
Actually, plenty of people have been calling for “any other coach”.

A better coach will no doubt get better results. But how much better with the same crew long term. GG got better results than Hartley over a season, with a similar lineup. Then they regressed. Peters looked like a “better coach” and he got results in one year. Next year, back to .500 under him. Ward took over and they improved, until the POs. This year they’ve settled back.

If this team plays 100% they can compete, but are nowhere near a top team. But can this team do that? Probably not since no team is 100% each and every night.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:26 PM   #291
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Are you saying this team is unwilling or incapable of playing the way the coach wants? Or any coach?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:26 PM   #292
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Un-deserved points are my favorite kind.

It gets the stat boys so rattled.
Stats or not those are not fun games to watch.

Never fun to see the Flames hemmed in their own zone for the majority of a game with them generating next to nothing on offence.

At least when the Hartley teams were hemmed in all the time they would be entertaining with quick counter attacks (but little sustained zone time). This team does neither of those things.

But sure we come away with 3/4 points but overall I don’t feel any better about this teams play than I did after the losses against the Oilers. We just got better goaltending but still looked like crap for the most part.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:28 PM   #293
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I have to admit, I’m starting to wonder about the psychology of
‘It’s not the coach, it’s the players’.

Because some people stick to it, coach after coach.

Is it resigning yourself to some inevitability, or creating the illusion that perhaps there is hope for change, simply because a decision on coaching typically happens on a once in a few years basis (barring extraordinary circumstances)

I’m suspecting it’s some kind of defense mechanism
Let's be honest. Both positions are valid. The data point can be used to make either argument, just a matter of choosing which one supports one's position.

Argument 1: The failure of this same core under 4 different coaches suggests coaching isn't the problem, the players are
Argument 2: The failure of 4 different coaches with this same roster suggests this team is hiring the wrong type of coach

Same data point. Opposite arguments. Both valid.

What I don't understand is how can be so locked in that you can't see how the information can be rationally used to argue for either position. So instead you default to "must be a defense mechanism".

Again for the record - I don't like the coach or the roster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:29 PM   #294
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, plenty of people have been calling for “any other coach”.

A better coach will no doubt get better results. But how much better with the same crew long term. GG got better results than Hartley over a season, with a similar lineup. Then they regressed. Peters looked like a “better coach” and he got results in one year. Next year, back to .500 under him. Ward took over and they improved, until the POs. This year they’ve settled back.

If this team plays 100% they can compete, but are nowhere near a top team. But can this team do that? Probably not since no team is 100% each and every night.
Of course not. BUt the difference between winning and losing in the NHL is marginal. The difference between playoffs or no playoffs will be just a few games - maybe one game - over a 56 game schedule.

If a better coach can get a few extra wins out of them, that is likely enough to make the playoffs. Which is better than the alternative.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:29 PM   #295
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Are you saying this team is unwilling or incapable of playing the way the coach wants? Or any coach?
You didn't ask me but I don't think this team is not committed to consistently doing what is required to win.

And/or they simply don't have the talent.

Pick your poison.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 02-24-2021 at 11:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:30 PM   #296
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Ref should have blown the whistle. There's no way he didn't lose sight of the puck.
It's not uncommon to come into the PGT and see posters blaming the refs for a loss... But blaming the ref for doing a good job? Now that's comical.
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:31 PM   #297
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Agreed.

But here's the thing: these guys are NHLers, they know how to play. When one guy is struggling, they are having a bad game or are in a slump. But when an entire team is struggling, for 20 games, and they are all constantly making bad decisions, I see a team that is thinking too much and/or is trying to do what they're being told to do, instead of just playing.
Or they just lack focus and drive. Or they haven’t bought in and they should.

Any system works, if it’s done well. And to do it well, you are right, it has to be second nature. IMO Ward’s flaw isn’t a system, it’s his ability to get players to commit to one. And he’s the latest of 4 coaches, including Hartley, to have that issue with the same guys. They could use a new coach. But they also need a jolt of reality - a coach isn’t a fix-all, they need to shoulder some responsibility. It’s too bad training camp was short, because Ward as a new coach could have used a lot more drill time.

This isn’t a problem unique to this group. Hell, the Cup winning team had to shed some talented guys who wouldn’t buy in. And there were guys who thought Johnson’s technics were goofy, but they didn’t them anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:33 PM   #298
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Let's be honest. Both positions are valid. The data point can be used to make either argument, just a matter of choosing which one supports one's position.

Argument 1: The failure of this same core under 4 different coaches suggests coaching isn't the problem, the players are
Argument 2: The failure of 4 different coaches with this same roster suggests this team is hiring the wrong type of coach

Same data point. Opposite arguments. Both valid.

What I don't understand is how can be so locked in that you can't see how the information can be rationally used to argue for either position. So instead you default to "must be a defense mechanism".

Again for the record - I don't like the coach or the roster.
Yes, absolutely. And I think both are valid also.

However, there is a fundamental difference between the two data points, with respect to dealing with them:

One is a simple binary decision - replace, or don't

The other is a long-term, evolutionary process that not only takes years, but is already in progress and is always in progress. And each and every one of the players is fluid - they can be better or worse, depending on utilization, confidence, line-mates, etc. So much, much more difficult to ascertain, and requiring a much larger data set to determine.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:36 PM   #299
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I don’t know about any coach, or even Ward, if he had had a better run up to this season. I do know they played how Hartley wanted, until they didn’t. They played how GG wanted, until they didn’t. They played a great style under Peters until they didn’t.

It doesn’t have to be the whole team to screw it up either. It doesn’t have to be intentional - I’m sure Johnny isn’t coached to work his way into the corner with the puck and he knows that isn’t where he wants to be. But sometimes habits are hard to break.

I’m all for a better coach and there are a few candidates if they want to come. But they’ve had 4 guys with years of NHL experience who can’t all have just gotten all those previous positions out of dumb luck. They must know something.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:41 PM   #300
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any system works, if it’s done well. And to do it well, you are right, it has to be second nature. IMO Ward’s flaw isn’t a system, it’s his ability to get players to commit to one. And he’s the latest of 4 coaches, including Hartley, to have that issue with the same guys.
Here is a list of players who are still with the team from Hartley's time:

Mark Giordano
Mikael Backlund
Johnny Gaudreau
Sean Monahan
Sam Bennett

That's it. That's literally it unless you want to include one game where Hartley coached Kylington against the Wild.

So do you believe it's Gio or Backlund who won't commit to a system?

Or let's assume it's the other three. Well they were all out there as a line today, meaning that the rest of the game they were not out there, and none of the other lines were executing successful breakouts and zone entries either.

Even Brodie is gone, replaced by Tanev.

We've had an almost complete roster overhaul, and I don't thinking changing three more players suddenly makes 18 other guys start making 5 foot passes.

The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: