Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #21
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
National identity is dumb.

Provincial identity is even dumber.
It's worked wonders for Quebec.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #22
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Why stop there? I don't trust the Northern Albertans either.

City-States.
You trust the suburbs?
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #23
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I vote yes! I want a $100 bill with Jason Kenney's face on it!
Old 11-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #24
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I vote yes! I want a $100 bill with Jason Kenney's face on it!
I'll support this if all UCP party members get drafted into Alberta's new military and give service to their country!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #25
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel alienated,however, I don't see any viable options. Separating really isn't the answer - as others have mentioned, we are landlocked, so it would be even harder to get our oil to tide water. Joining the US? What would happen to our health care, for example? Even if we managed to keep it, I could see a flood of Americans moving to Alberta to get health care - the system would be overwhelmed and would fail. Even if it isn't a great solution, staying within Confederation is still our best option.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #26
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Western Alienation is a genuine artifact, especially historically, I would say that it is less material now than it was even 30 years ago, let alone its hay day in the 1920s. All the same, a healthy brand of regionalism is important for any community in order to protect their needs.

Still, I am 100% in support of senate reform. The fact B.C and A.B only have 6 seats a piece in the senate as apposed to the 10 of N.B and N.S have, let alone Ontario and Quebec having 24 each, is strong evidence that the Federal Power of Canada does not equally represent every region.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 11-16-2018 at 12:22 PM.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #27
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
I feel alienated,however, I don't see any viable options. Separating really isn't the answer - as others have mentioned, we are landlocked, so it would be even harder to get our oil to tide water. Joining the US? What would happen to our health care, for example? Even if we managed to keep it, I could see a flood of Americans moving to Alberta to get health care - the system would be overwhelmed and would fail. Even if it isn't a great solution, staying within Confederation is still our best option.
Separation is not a solution, it is the cause of another problem. All the same, strong regional representation politically, and culturally is important.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #28
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Unfortunately version one of the Alberta politics thread doesn't exist any more, otherwise I'd link to my post there which I believe essentially said any discussion of Alberta separation is asinine. I think my post had a little more meat to it, but this will do.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #29
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think separation would make it harder to get pipelines. If Alberta separated, we would have jurisdicition over BC shipping goods through our province to the rest of the country. It would get ugly for a while, but they would let us build a pipeline through BC in order to access the rest of canada without going around through NWT.

Plus, we would have money from not having to pay federal taxes / transfer payments.... I think we should at least float the idea to see if anyone in Ottawa cares/notices.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I'll support this if all UCP party members get drafted into Alberta's new military and give service to their country!

Nah, within a couple of days of separating and joining the US, we'd have a marine division, army division, and a air wing of fighters

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #31
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Problem with joining the USA is that the moment we became US citizens a good chunk of people would move to southern states. I know I would. If it ever got to the point of a large movement I would probably support it. I don't see a bright future for Canada as a whole.
Been there, done that.... The southern states are garbage. Most of the residents there even think so. You couldn't pay me enough to move back to one of those third world #### holes.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #32
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Nah, within a couple of days of separating and joining the US, we'd have a marine division, army division, and a air wing of fighters
Even more reason to leave.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #33
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
I don't think separation would make it harder to get pipelines. If Alberta separated, we would have jurisdicition over BC shipping goods through our province to the rest of the country. It would get ugly for a while, but they would let us build a pipeline through BC in order to access the rest of canada without going around through NWT.

Plus, we would have money from not having to pay federal taxes / transfer payments.... I think we should at least float the idea to see if anyone in Ottawa cares/notices.
Yeah, the leverage of "sorry, but everything CP and CN carry through Alberta pays a tariff now" would probably be enough to get a pipeline through.

I actually think even a credible threat of separation probably gets us a better deal. It's not like we're getting huge benefits from confederation now. We get to pay more than our share of the bill though, so that's nice...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #34
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yes, having 8 provinces actively fighting against us does not help but neither does independence - we would be Kuwait without a port.

Becoming the winter version of Puerto Rico.... thats an option.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #35
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our Albertan hockey and Olympic teams would suck.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #36
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
You trust the suburbs?
I will lead the Ward 6 War for Independence. We will adorn our gates with the heads of our inner city latte sipping enemies.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #37
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I will lead the Ward 6 War for Independence. We will adorn our gates with the heads of our inner city latte sipping enemies.

Inner City wards are very adept at guerilla warfare, able to get around quickly on our fixies and folding Brompton bikes. Camouflage is an issue as the cans of PBR we clip to our belts would stick out quite a bit.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #38
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't really see the arguments as cultural...more economic.

1) no equalization payments

2) less transfers to other provinces from progressive taxation transfers. People in Alberta make more money and a higher percentage work. Lots of your federal taxes end up being a second equalization program

3) more good paying government jobs would reduce the cyclicality of our economy and reduce unemployment. Right now Alberta has the lowest proportion of government jobs per capita in the country

4) more domestic industries would lead a more diverse economy and more job creation. Sectors like banking and Telecom and groceries are basically a further subsidy of Ontario and Quebec by Alberta because of where they are headquarters. If we had our own country, we have more job creation for our own companies in these sectors.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #39
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Alberta had a port I'd vote to be gone in a second.

As it stands I don't feel any pride in being Canadian anymore. This country doesn't function, there's no coherent national identity. That's no more evident in the large amount of "Canadians" taking glee in Alberta's pain right now. We're a loose conglomeration of territories that basically came together by acciddent
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #40
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Just wanted to get an idea of your thoughts on Alberta alienation and independence.

Are you frustrated with the federal ineptitude of files important to Alberta?

Would you vote a provincial party that ramps up the rhetoric on Alberta Independence through and after the election next year?

Would you be in favor of holding a peblicite on Alberta separation?

Do you feel aggrieved as an Albertan?

What would it take for this topic to become top of mind for you?
Lol?
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote