Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #21
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still buy Blu Rays and even CDs. I don't buy nearly as many these days but I still like having physical movies and music and I have lots of movies that you just can't find on Netflix. I am looking to either digitize my DVDs and/or condense them into a CD wallet.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #22
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

having your own library of movies or books or music is something you should not let go or give away. Its a true privilege. The 'pay me $$$$ per month for the rest your life' model has its advantages for staying current - but i still put physical copies of what i really want to keep in my own library. Added bonus - there are still places on this earth where you can't stream - so having your own copy of something gives you the ability to enjoy it there.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #23
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I have a small Criterion collection that will likely get bigger over time - mostly just collect foreign/obscure/older classics like others have mentioned.

Books on the other hand, I've got about a thousand and ever growing.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #24
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at Sunrise today picked up Magnolia for $5 on Blu Ray. Some good deals there hope it survives
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #25
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

For you guys who collect how often does each movie of the collection get watched? What drives the collecting? Having it or using it?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #26
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
For you guys who collect how often does each movie of the collection get watched? What drives the collecting? Having it or using it?
I have about 1,400 movies watched maybe half so far. I like the idea that I can watch the movie when ever I want where ever I am. Some movies like The Dark Knight Rises or Man of Steel or even Dawn of the Dead aren't on Netflix (last I checked). Plus I like how it looks displayed for example having all movies in the Nightmare on Elm Street in a town all lined up, it's like my own personal library. I also collect Steelbooks for the covers and display them , and I like knowing I have a rare collectable certainly adds to my movie watching experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 08-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #27
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not everything in my collection gets watched more than once, but I definitely have my favorites that I'll revisit every now and then. These days I'm obsessed with finding obscure, long out of print horror, cult, and foreign films. Shout Factory is a company that has been putting out some great bluray reissues over the last few years. Their HD transfers and sound upgrades are excellent for the most part, and they always add cool bonus features like brand new making-of docs, interviews, and commentaries. They also do reversible cover art that features newly commissioned artwork on one side and the original poster art on the other. I buy a lot of stuff from those guys, either through Amazon or directly from their website:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 08-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #28
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Not everything in my collection gets watched more than once, but I definitely have my favorites that I'll revisit every now and then. These days I'm obsessed with finding obscure, long out of print horror, cult, and foreign films. Shout Factory is a company that has been putting out some great bluray reissues over the last few years. Their HD transfers and sound upgrades are excellent for the most part, and they always add cool bonus features like brand new making-of docs, interviews,commentaries. They also do reversible cover art that features newly commissioned artwork on one side and the original poster art on the other. I buy a lot of stuff from those guys, either through Amazon or directly from their website:

Shout Factory had my favorite booth at SDCC this year. Picked up Army of Darkness, Streets of Fire, Fargo Steelbook and They Live Steelbook. Have you heard or Arrow Video they have so many boxsets and really do a good job. While most movies are region free some are only region 2 as it's a UK company http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #29
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Not everything in my collection gets watched more than once, but I definitely have my favorites that I'll revisit every now and then. These days I'm obsessed with finding obscure, long out of print horror, cult, and foreign films. Shout Factory is a company that has been putting out some great bluray reissues over the last few years. Their HD transfers and sound upgrades are excellent for the most part, and they always add cool bonus features like brand new making-of docs, interviews, and commentaries. They also do reversible cover art that features newly commissioned artwork on one side and the original poster art on the other. I buy a lot of stuff from those guys, either through Amazon or directly from their website:

I found out recently that Shout Factory has a streaming site. The selection isn't great, but there are a few gems, and it's free.

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/

I used to collect a lot of movies, but now I only buy stuff I know I'm going to watch more than once. I got a Mel Brooks collection for cheap a couple of weeks ago. I'll rip them to my NAS so they're available any time.

I also like buying complete series of TV show like the Wire and Battlestar Galactica. They can be found on streaming services but you never know when they'll get removed.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #30
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like with other things I've collected over the years, the having supersedes the using. I don't have too many Blu-rays I've never watched, maybe a handful in collection of about 100-150 movies and a handful of complete TV series.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #31
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I visited Seattle there was a place called Scarecrow video which was a huge movie rental store and looked to be very busy. In LA it was mentioned earlier they have Ameoba records which is another massive music/movie store which is doing very well.

Have you guys found something similar in Calgary maybe not on that scale but are there still independent places to buy movies in Calgary outside the big box stores? Do you think one would be able to survive in Calgary? I have visited CD Trader at Brentwood mall and while small they have a good selection of Blu-Rays and DVDs are there any other that you collectors visit?
Old 08-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #32
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
My 9 year old is obsessed with King Kong, Godzilla and monster movies. The movies haven't been great in the last couple decades but I appreciate what Jackson tried to do with Kong.
I didn't hate it, but it's one of those movies I should've rented. The pacing was pretty bad, and it's not one I've ever re-watched.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #33
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I started buying Blu Rays when HMV went out of business. I decided to fill out a few of my favorites and classics but ended up with a ton of stuff I don't want just because they were basically $2 each at the end of the chain. (Buy 20 for $40, etc.)

Now I think I'm going to watch and then get rid of them all, along with most of my record collection. It's just taking up too much space and it's too expensive to buy regularly.

The one thing that might be worth collecting because it's a much narrower category is 3D Blu Rays as they don't even make 3D televisions anymore so this is one of those experiences like quadrophonic records that's unique and can't be experienced again in other forms (aside from downloaded SBS movies).

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-21-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:59 AM   #34
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posting some pictures of my recent hauls:

Got my special HDZeta edition of Batman V Superman:

Spoiler!

The Best Buy Guardians 2 Steelbook:

Spoiler!

VHS hunting for some classics:

Spoiler!

Suicide Squad HDZeta special edition:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Lastly my entire collection:

Spoiler!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #35
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just get movies that I have enjoyed and may want to watch again at my leisure.

Being able to stream them when you want is ideal, but then you must be connected to the internet in some way, it uses bandwidth (becoming much less of an issue), find if it is being offered on a service, and be signed up to that service.

Having it on physical media has some advantages. (until it won't let you skip the !%@$# trailers, the disk gets rot or scratched, etc).
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:32 PM   #36
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post

Lastly my entire collection:

Spoiler!
Nice collection! I use those exact same bookshelves.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:10 PM   #37
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nice collection! I use those exact same bookshelves.
Thanks! Ikea for the win! They recently dropped in price so I picked up another shelf and filled it immediately with all my excess movies.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:39 PM   #38
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I've been buying DVD box sets of old Sci Fi tv shows from the past.

Spoiler!
Old 08-30-2017, 12:40 PM   #39
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks! Ikea for the win! They recently dropped in price so I picked up another shelf and filled it immediately with all my excess movies.
But don't you hate it when you've completed putting the shelf together and realize the bottom trim piece is on backwards!
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #40
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Posting some pictures of my recent hauls:
You need to finish that basement, son! Someone with a movie collection that vast needs to have a wicked home theater room.

Really nice collection.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote