Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Who should start Wednesday
Elliott 128 31.37%
Johnson 108 26.47%
Gillies 172 42.16%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #241
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
No one is thinking this, it's simply a chance to give the kid some experience and see what happens.

Elliott has lost 5 times to the Ducks in the last 16 days, giving up 18 goals in the process. You know what is a 'no way it's gonna happen' situation? The idea that Elliott is going to suddenly turn it around.

This idea that it could ruin Gillies forever is absolute nonsense. I don't know what it is about Flames fans but everyone assumes doom and gloom with everything. News flash: sometimes players actually succeed when given a chance.

Young goalies get into games all the time. And yes, into playoff games too. Ken Dryden had played 6 whole games for the Canadiens before being made their starter for the playoffs. He ended up winning the Conn Smythe. (not saying Gillies is Ken Dryden, just saying young goalies get thrown in all the time).

Even if Gillies did #### the bed, so what? That happens to goalies too. They live to fight another day or they were never NHL caliber in the first place.

Let the kid play.

And imagine if he stands on his head and actually gives the team a spark!
Wow.

Literally could not be more incorrect.

Carry on though.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #242
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've stepped back off the ledge since yesterday/this morning. Johnson may not even be 100% yet, just start Elliott. As terrible as he's been these playoffs, he's the best horse we got. Give him a chance to redeem himself. And if he blows it again, we'll never have to see him in red ever again as we punt him out of town.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #243
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
lol

you managed to make the parameters tight enough that I doubt there were any chances for that to have happened in the last 10 years.

Young goaalies start games. Even in the playoffs. You know it as well as I do.

Also, the AHL isn't that different from the NHL. Sure , the game is faster and the shots are harder but the difference isn't that great. We're not talking about a child here - he's 23.

He isn't made of sugar. The sun would come up the next day, win or lose.

But let's all keep living in fear as Flames fans: "please Mr Treliving, don't put our pour kids in danger, they might skin their knee or something."
Name them.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #244
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

GG may well start Elliott, but I think it would be a huge mistake. There may not be a right answer, but he is the wrong one.

His performance dictates he is the wrong choice, and its the wrong choice when considering the psychology of the team.

Unfortunately Johnson was weak in his last few starts, but bad play a month ago is less of a risk than bad play yesterday. Who cares if he hasn't been playing as much as Elliott if Elliot has been playing badly recently.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #245
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really overcomplicating this...One question with a statement first:

The Flames are not going to win the series, sorry less than 2% chance and that is not taking into account their record playing in Anaheim.

Who gives the Flames the best opportunity to win game 4? Okay, start him.

Differing opinions on who that tender is and GG is probably waffling a bit, but from what I have seen in his last full game Johnson was shaky and really fighting the puck. Is he enen 100%?

Elliott just #### the bed, so if it's between those two goaltenders then it's a coin flip.
iamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #246
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

All 3 in game 4
Old 04-19-2017, 01:43 AM   #247
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Elliott.

Im sorry but throwing a kid into a dumpster fire is Oiler-like stupidity. The Flames are a dumpster fire. So why would you chance wrecking Gillies future in a game that simply doesnt matter?

Strangest sentiment from these boards...ever.
no... Elliott is a dumpster fire. The Flames players have been pretty good and the results would be better if the goaltending was better. I picked Gillies out of frustration with Elliott and Johnson, but now I kind of want to change my vote and see Johnson get a shot.

He's been pretty bad in 2017, but he certainly had his moments earlier in the year and it would be kind of cool to watch a Calgary kid get to live out a dream that I am sure he had playing hockey in the basement like a lot of us did.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 01:46 AM   #248
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Johnson deserves it.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:45 AM   #249
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Okay, how many goalies with fewer than 10 NHL games under their belt have been brought into an NHL playoff elimination game in the last decade? Name them.

There's a reason teams don't do that. And there's a zero per cent chance the Flames do it, because the team is run by professional hockey people.
On a Wednesday night and an 8pm start? None
But if we relax your self imposed parameters a touch, there is John Gibson.
In the second round of the 2014 playoffs with his team trailing the series 2-1 Gibson (20), who had only played in 3 NHL games to that point, started on the road in LA (eventual Cup champions) and recorded a 28 save shutout.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #250
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Elliott.

Im sorry but throwing a kid into a dumpster fire is Oiler-like stupidity. The Flames are a dumpster fire. So why would you chance wrecking Gillies future in a game that simply doesnt matter?

The Flames are a dumpster fire in large part due to having no confidence in their goalie. Maybe a change would do them some good. Glilies is a professional. Win or lose, one games outcome isn't going to determine the rest of his career.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #251
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could potentially understand the Gillies love if he was actually good in the AHL this year, but he wasn't. 34th in GAA, 22nd in save percentage and way behind Rittich in both columns. He didn't look like a plug in his one NHL game, but he's still a ways away.

And yes - he's been better lately in the AHL, but still only a 915 save percentage since Feb 1 (or Mar 1). If you really want to squint and go for a super small sample size, I guess you could convince yourself based on the .930 save percentage in this last 4 starts.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 07:55 AM   #252
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Flames start Brian Elliott, obviously.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #253
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfi racing View Post
Go ahead and fire up the time machine.You could bring back Kipper,Vernon,Brodeur,Roy,Belfour,Bower, Broda or any great of the past at their best and in their prime,even go ahead and play all of them in the same game.The result for this series will be exactly the same,it's over tomorrow night.
If we come back in this series all the people who made posts like this should be banned
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #254
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames will likely stick with Elliott, given Gulutzan's tendencies, but he certainly hasn't really earned that spot. Love to CJ get the nod.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:02 AM   #255
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Elliott.

Have you watched the games so far? Flames are a dumpster fire? You are out to lunch and those comments completely take away any credibility for the rest of your post. I agree Gillies is the wrong call.

Matt Murray and Cam Ward were 2 young AHL goalies that took their team to the Cup by coming in during the playoffs.

I still think Johnson should play but I think they sink or swim with Elliott which is a mistake imo.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:02 AM   #256
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Start Elliott. AINEC
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #257
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elliot, maybe he redeems himself, maybe not, and punches his one way ticket out of town.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #258
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Elliot, maybe he redeems himself, maybe not, and punches his one way ticket out of town.
I think that ticket is already punch tbh and it's probably mutual.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #259
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Regardless who plays tonight if its Elliott or Johnson I don't see them back next season.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #260
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The opinion that somehow Elliot is the reason Calgary is down 3-0, is an opinion that can only be held by someone who is an armchair fan that has never actually played the game. Sorry to be so harsh, but really the Ducks have controlled the play in this series in all facets of the game. Flames brass are getting a good look at where changes are needed if this is a team that wants to contend over the next 5 years.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote