Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #2881
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Just looking at Iggy's stats and wow, the Avs lost 8 of their last 9 games when they needed them most. That hurts.
To be fair, the Avs had <5% chance of making the playoffs when those last 9 games began. They weren't exactly the games they needed the most and Iggy just let them down.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #2882
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The other team that may be interested in Wideman could potentially be Florida.

Was a decent player for that organization in the past, and they have both Campbell and Mitchell expiring after this season.

Depending on if either of those two want to return next season they may see a fit for a bit of a veteran d-man, that could help the PP, and provide some leadership on the back end.
I think Tallon disliked Wideman actually. Wideman was only there for a season, and from what I remember reading, his ice time was reduced through the season there.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #2883
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
To be fair, the Avs had <5% chance of making the playoffs when those last 9 games began. They weren't exactly the games they needed the most and Iggy just let them down.
To be fair, Iginla was -22 this season and that was with 3rd line time at even strength. He was 13 goals against worse than Blake freaking Comeau! You have to suck pretty hard to better than double Blake Comeau in the minus column. Good lord, Alex Tanguay was a plus player for Colorado and he played less sheltered minutes than Iginla did. Iginla is done. It's time to move on. Colorado fans are trying to figure out ways to dump his contract on some unsuspecting slob of a GM. I sure hope it isn't ours.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #2884
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't believe people still look at plus minus stats when evaluating players
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #2885
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there are no other takes for Wideman, I'd do a Wideman / Iggy swap if all parties concerned were willing. Opens up a free spot in defence for other prospects, and we get a sniper for our powerplay. Sure Iggy can't skate well anymore, but he still has that one timer that could be useful in improving our anaemic powerplay.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #2886
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Why? You don't think it tells a story when a player has the worst plus/minus on the team? He has a negative goal differential that is 13 goals worse than any other forward on the team. You don't think that an "advanced stats" analysis would tell a similar story? Plus/minus is an easily accessible stat that says something about a player. You want to produce something that suggests that Iginla was a solid two-way player that contradicts his -22? Go ahead and produce it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #2887
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no way Treliving brings Iginla back. I understand the speculation and talk because there is nothing else to talk about, but let's be realistic - it will never happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #2888
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
And corsi is so August 2015. The new thing is FODER, which studies the medichlorian count in the femurs of hockey players. It's all I use to tell whether a defenseman is talented these days.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #2889
frodo_t_baggins
Backup Goalie

Exp:

https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/sta...45636203409409
Old 04-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #2890
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo_t_baggins View Post
isnt he like 40 ?
Old 04-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #2891
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
isnt he like 40 ?
Radulov is 29
Old 04-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #2892
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
isnt he like 40 ?
No, Slava is 57.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:49 AM   #2893
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Iginla can still play and be a useful player, but not on a team like Colorado or Calgary. Iginla needs to accept that he is a role player providing depth scoring. He needs to go to a team that doesn't score off the rush.

A team like Anaheim, San Jose, Boston, New Jersey - teams that play better defensively (though Boston is kind of weird that way this year) and who cycle more. Iginla is better on the cycle than he is off the rush, especially at his age. It is not that surprising that he is sticking out like a sore thumb in Colorado - first thing that goes in older players are their legs after all.

I personally would rather keep Wideman on the Flames than have Iginla return the more I think about it, unless Iginla could accept being a 4th liner. I don't see him contributing with Monahan and Gaudreau (outside of the power play), for sure not Bennett who is speedy with a non-stop motor, and Iginla's defensive deficiencies and slow speed would be a poor match with Backlund and Frolik.

4th liner Iginla + power play time < Wideman and at least a chance to step up big when injuries strike (like the prior season). This is kind of what I see anyways.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #2894
Knut

Exp:

It is Widemans final year. If you can not find a taker you ship him off at the Deadline with half his salary retained. Even if you are in the playoffs you can make this move. Likely the time to get the maximum return.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #2895
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Radulov on Johnnys opposite wing would be insane. I highly doubt he would come to Calgary however.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #2896
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I think Iginla can still play and be a useful player, but not on a team like Colorado or Calgary. Iginla needs to accept that he is a role player providing depth scoring. He needs to go to a team that doesn't score off the rush.

A team like Anaheim, San Jose, Boston, New Jersey - teams that play better defensively (though Boston is kind of weird that way this year) and who cycle more. Iginla is better on the cycle than he is off the rush, especially at his age. It is not that surprising that he is sticking out like a sore thumb in Colorado - first thing that goes in older players are their legs after all.

I personally would rather keep Wideman on the Flames than have Iginla return the more I think about it, unless Iginla could accept being a 4th liner. I don't see him contributing with Monahan and Gaudreau (outside of the power play), for sure not Bennett who is speedy with a non-stop motor, and Iginla's defensive deficiencies and slow speed would be a poor match with Backlund and Frolik.

4th liner Iginla + power play time < Wideman and at least a chance to step up big when injuries strike (like the prior season). This is kind of what I see anyways.
What!?

He scored 22 goals and got 47 points. He would be our third best forward.

I think you over value the talent on this team. In no way is he a 4th liner yet. He will probably never be a 4th liner.

Widemans biggest contribution to this team is making the opposing team go through a ton of shin pads by firing every shot he took directly into the shins of the opposing teams players.

Last edited by polak; 04-14-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #2897
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Radulov on Johnnys opposite wing would be insane. I highly doubt he would come to Calgary however.
As a fan of the team to the north, I approve of Radulov coming to Calgary.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #2898
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

I actually think Iginla would be perfect on a line with Bennett and Ferland. Bennett actually cycles very well and generates a lot of offense doing that. Yes he can score off the rush, but I really think of Bennett as a highly skilled grinder. Ferland is also good at cycling the puck and makes a lot of plays off the cycle. Both those guys could feed Iginla for prime scoring opportunities.

Bennett would also get both those guys involved physically, and both of them are much better when involved. Iginla is no where near the player he use to be and is a bit of a defensive liability, but he has two things that the Flames lack, finishing ability and size. I really think that would be a heck of a line.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:26 PM   #2899
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Depends.

If you get a more mature 29 year old Radulov who is actually committed to making it work in the NHL then you are getting a really good player.

He can be a 30 goal, 60 point player in the NHL. Issue was that he always would use the KHL as a way for him to shun any responsibility, now that he seems to be coming back on his own accord it will probably work.

Colorado would probably be the front runner as long as Roy is still the head coach, people say Washington because of the other Russians but no chance that happens with Trotz as coach there.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 04-14-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:26 PM   #2900
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Radulov is a terrible idea... except for the Oilers.
Closed Thread