Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #21
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames' didn't say a single word to him? So he showed up and spent the entire time not saying a single word to anyone from the Flames?

Probably a bad translation. Or he's a f'ing liar.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #22
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would imagine he considered the NHL a givin, and earning your way onto the team in pre-season wasn't in the cards. Odd that someone who did absolutely nothing in his short time found it acceptable to vent off about how it shaped out for him.

I wonder if the cold reception from the Flames had anything to do with how he approached the team. He could have made it very clear very early that he was going to be an issue, as his actions with his old team show he likes to blaze his own path. If he looked around at the invites and long-shots that he was playing with (and likely showed more than him) he would probably see similar treatment and interviews.

Best of luck... and at least you can sleep soundly knowing whether or not you're cut out for the NHL.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #23
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
The Flames' didn't say a single word to him? So he showed up and spent the entire time not saying a single word to anyone from the Flames?

Probably a bad translation. Or he's a f'ing liar.
that part is in relation to his assignment to Stockton. Article says he doesn't know why he was sent down and what he should work on.

reading the articles and comments over here, he just sounds bitter. Also says he hasn't given up on the NHL. Frankly I think he just believes he's way better than he is.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #24
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
that part is in relation to his assignment to Stockton. Article says he doesn't know why he was sent down and what he should work on.

reading the articles and comments over here, he just sounds bitter. Also says he hasn't given up on the NHL. Frankly I think he just believes he's way better than he is.
I'm sure doing nothing against rookies, and searing the team that signed you on the way out the door pretty much sealed that option off for him. Especially considering his comments seem to infer that he had some expectation of warmth and individual coaching - regardless of what he put on the ice.

"Thank you for the opportunity, I look to work harder and return to the NHL with a vengeance" probably would have gone over a tad better.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #25
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

He did not look good in prospect game but I chalked that up to jet lag.

It is possible the coaching style here is different than in Europe, sounds like those same criticisms are made by the Oilers Euro players in the other thread. I don't hold it against Ehliz that it didnt work out here, not a lot of guys from Euro leagues can come over and have success right away, especially as a smaller guy.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #26
Joli
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Ehliz has been complaining about how he was treated by the Flames:

https://www.sport1.de/eishockey/2018...calgary-flames

Translation by google

Other snippets of the interview I have seen was that there was no "human warmth" and he was treated like an interchangeable number.

never trust news articles on www.sport1.de!

it is the biggest online sport news platform in germany but the worst as well.
the so called "journalists" of sport1 often make up stories or just dont tell the whole truth.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Joli For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #27
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I would guess it's a combination of a player going to the Olympics and thinking he's close and maybe misinterpreting some comments to think he had a better shot than he did.

Telling him it's wide open, and you can earn a spot is promising and true for probably a dozen players should they blow the doors down.

But if you hear spot is mine out of that you could be disappointed.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #28
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
never trust news articles on www.sport1.de!

it is the biggest online sport news platform in germany but the worst as well.
the so called "journalists" of sport1 often make up stories or just dont tell the whole truth.
true, but Kicker and others report the same and his comments are direct quotes. Plus there's the statement from the Ice Tigers, blasting his decision to sign for Red Bull.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #29
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We are criticizing the Oilers for one of their prospects saying the exact same thing.

Different context of course because the Oilers are no good
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
true, but Kicker and others report the same and his comments are direct quotes. Plus there's the statement from the Ice Tigers, blasting his decision to sign for Red Bull.
Direct quotes but if you have an agenda or a narrative you want to write, you can probably elicit those responses with the right leading questions.

I'm sure there may be some truth to it - maybe they didn't explain it well enough. Maybe they were overly polite in the discussions. Or he didn't want to hear what they were saying.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #31
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
He did not look good in prospect game but I chalked that up to jet lag.

It is possible the coaching style here is different than in Europe, sounds like those same criticisms are made by the Oilers Euro players in the other thread. I don't hold it against Ehliz that it didnt work out here, not a lot of guys from Euro leagues can come over and have success right away, especially as a smaller guy.
The big difference between this situation and the oiler one, is Pakarinen was actually on the NHL team, he played parts of 4 seasons in the NHL. If they weren't giving him any actual coaching, that's idiotic.

Ehliz on the other hand, was probably the worst player in the rookie games, and had basically been cut from the NHL camp before the main team even came back from China. He expected individual coaching when there were still 50+ players in camp? That's pretty unrealistic, especially when you're clearly the worst or one of the worst players in camp. It's his job to stand out in camp, not the coaches' job to groom him for an NHL spot.

He got sent to the AHL, which is where players go to work on their game, and couldn't make any impression there either. I'm sure he would have got coaching down there, if he's stuck it out, or shown anything in the chances he got. He didn't seem to realize that every game at that level is an audition, and if you want more you have to earn it.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #32
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

whomever answered the phone, put me on hold for almost 10 minutes and then told me they still had some medium Bertschi's left. He offered to put it on hold for me and I said thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I look forward to their stymied and confused reply.

"Um...who?"
Old 11-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #33
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

27 or 47? I appreciate the hopeless dedication of anyone with a Sven 27 jersey.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #34
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I just read the article on Kicker and there's definitely not a translation issue. He clearly states that nobody gave him an explanation when he was sent down to Stockton and that he wonders why they signed him in the first place. He also says there was no explanation in Stockton as to why he wasn't playing.

The article implies that he signed a contract with the Flames and then was sent down to the farm team, kind of feeding the narrative that his assignment to Stockton came out of nowhere. This is where I don't think Ehliz is being forthright. I'm pretty sure I recall an interview during the rookie camp or in main camp where he stated that he understood he'd probably start in Stockton to adjust to the N.A. game.

The guy signed a two-way contract. If he was then shocked that he started in Stockton, then he's not being realistic. The fact that the preseason games he did play in saw him consistently on the 4th line should have clued him in as well. I mean, if he thinks he outplayed Dube, Hathaway and Czarnik (realistically the guys he was competing with) he's not living in reality.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #35
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I got the impression from his social media feed leading up to training camp that he felt he was "living the dream." He was almost star-struck with excitement. Probably soon discovered the road to The Show is a difficult one.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditty View Post
I just read the article on Kicker and there's definitely not a translation issue. He clearly states that nobody gave him an explanation when he was sent down to Stockton and that he wonders why they signed him in the first place. He also says there was no explanation in Stockton as to why he wasn't playing.
I guess he's incapable of asking a question, or having an agent do it.

BTW, I was in Germany, including the region he's from and everyone (and I mean everyone) speaks English very well. It's a required second language in schools. So it's not like he couldn't speak to the coaches or GM. Treliving and Pascall strike me as pretty straightforward guys with their players.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #37
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've heard from other former NHL fringe players that their coaches never discussed with them why they weren't playing. I think the reality must be that if you're far enough down the totem pole the reality is your coach is concentrating on the players he thinks he can get through to. Maybe not really fair or ideal, but that's the reality of finite time, attention, and talent...
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 12:51 AM   #38
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Apparently there is a huge difference between the way coaches-players interactions occur in North America vs Europe. European coaching is much more flat and transparent and you get a lot of feedback as a player. North American coaching is much more top down and you get a lot less feedback.

I could see how this is frustrating for some European players when they come over. And perhaps part of the onus is on the team to help European players adapt.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 12:59 AM   #39
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Apparently there is a huge difference between the way coaches-players interactions occur in North America vs Europe. European coaching is much more flat and transparent and you get a lot of feedback as a player. North American coaching is much more top down and you get a lot less feedback.

I could see how this is frustrating for some European players when they come over. And perhaps part of the onus is on the team to help European players adapt.
Bolded for truth. Have heard this many times over about most NA sports.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:40 AM   #40
Flames1848
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I guess he's incapable of asking a question, or having an agent do it.

BTW, I was in Germany, including the region he's from and everyone (and I mean everyone) speaks English very well. It's a required second language in schools. So it's not like he couldn't speak to the coaches or GM. Treliving and Pascall strike me as pretty straightforward guys with their players.

Everyone learns english here at school. And in the DEL many Coaches speak english in the locker room. Ehliz = Özil