Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2023, 07:43 PM   #1941
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yahoo! Sports give the Flames a C. But then also gave the Oilers a C-.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/202...2Fcanadasports
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 10:43 PM   #1942
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

wrong thread

12 13 14 2 34

Last edited by Reign of Fire; 06-29-2023 at 10:54 PM.
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 03:57 PM   #1943
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Upside has our own NHL Draft Results page in our mega spreadsheet format - compares our rankings (E-Mac column) and to Bob McKenzie's as well (BM column), sorted by team in another tab, as well as other features...

Please enjoy:
https://bit.ly/2023NHLdraftresults
Old 07-04-2023, 08:02 PM   #1944
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Think this is finally, actually, probably the last Upside post in this thread lol

- some of the undrafted gems remaining, where we had 'em ranked...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1676408299078701057

Couple of Sandman profiles of these lads:
Samuel Urban, 18 yo, 6'1",183lbs, catches left. He was impressive in the U-18's for Slovakia, with a 3.74 GAA, and a .908%. He got 4 games with Sioux City of the USHL (2.80 GAA, .918%), 3 games in Slovakia's U20 league (2.02 GAA, .935%), and 14 games in Slovakia's Second-tier league (4.51 GAA, .897%). Seems to play a polished technical game, with good mobility, a tight post game, and excellent up-and-down movement. Scouts say he needs work, as things start falling apart when games get harder, and when he plays better competition, but his stats look ok to me. He looks to be a true butterfly goalie who falls back on his technique, and doesn't improvise much at this stage. 5th/6th round.

"D Mazden Leslie was given a "C" rating earlier this year by Central Scouting, meaning they feel he will picked in the 4th-6th rounds of the Draft. How can a D who put up 50 points in 66 games for a team (Vancouver Giants) that had the second-worst goals-for, and finished 16th overall in the WHL, be given such a mediocre rating? While Leslie has size (6'1") and obviously has offensive chops, he has trouble in other parts of his game that make scouts doubt if he will ever make the NHL. First off, his skating and stickhandling are average- he has an ok short-burst, but his acceleration and top-speed are questionable. Loses power in turns. At the beginning of the year, he didn't have much defense in his game to speak of, but in reading interviews with him and his coach, some credit must be given, as Leslie openly acknowleges this fact, and has steadily improved this part of his game throughout the year. By the time the playoffs rolled around, the coach was giving him more favorable reviews. It seems that Leslie has problems with his decision-making, and problem solving- I've read that he makes mistakes when his first option doesn't turn out, and coughs up pucks when his second option fails. He is able to stifle rushes coming back, right when they start in the offensive zone, and he's reportedly good aginst the rush in the neutral zone as well, but he still makes questionable choices, and can pinch at ill-advised times. He has become far better in his positioning, and in using his stick to break up plays, but his own-zone play is a work in progress. The good part is that Leslie is most comfortable with the puck on his stick, and carries with confidence, and can do both in transition. 64 PIM is an indication of a chip on his shoulder. His passes are hard, crisp, and accurate, and he makes clean breakouts. In the attacking zone, he has an eye for offense, and has a strong shot that he gets through traffic to create offense off of tips and rebounds, and to make goalies work. Runs the PP point well, and he has no problem pinching to become another forward. A few years back, we took a chance on a raw D Jeremie Poirier, who is now paying dividends, and this kid might have a chance to do that for a team that takes a chance on him. I do believe, however, that he'll go in the third round, because as I said above- 50 points on a poor offensive team, and the next two D-men behind him in scoring on the team had 27, and 15 points respectively- so he didn't have all the help in the world."
Old 07-04-2023, 09:06 PM   #1945
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap, Jordan Tourigny wasn't drafted? That's outrageous! I think most outlets had him ranked in the 3rd round!
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2023, 09:55 AM   #1946
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Holy crap, Jordan Tourigny wasn't drafted? That's outrageous! I think most outlets had him ranked in the 3rd round!
He's an interesting one for sure. Craig Button had him at 31 in the September rankings, Future Considerations had him 34 at the start of the season and then he just kept sliding. Even central scouting went from 63rd among North American skaters in January down to 123 in April. By the final rankings he wasn't in Button's top 100. The only rankings that I tracked that even included him were:

Future Considerations: 56
Hockey News: 64
Dobber: 79
Daily Faceoff: 104
Baracchini (Hockey Writers): 115
Horn (Hockey Writers): 133
Upside: 143
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2023, 10:00 AM   #1947
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smallish d man from a heavy o league whose counting stats took a pretty big step back in his sophomore season.
Seems like a player on a negative trajectory, I can see why he was passed up. I have never watched anything on Tourigny though.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 10:02 AM   #1948
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Actually to follow up on my previous post I think my conclusion is that teams drop guys who are sliding from the start of the season a lot more than writers do.

This year I tracked a bunch of rankings throughout the season and some other guys that fell hard were:
Alex Ciernik (avg rank prior to January: 29, final avg rank: 65, actual: 120)
Cameron Allen (prior to January: 20, final: 73, actual: 136)
Timur Mukhanov (prior to January: 35, final: 79, actual: 163)
Emil Jarventie (prior to January: 43, final: 95, actual: 217)
Tyler Peddle (prior to January: 49, final: 99, actual: 224)
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:

Tags
2023 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft