Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #1721
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And unfortunately for you Southgate will select him and not be sacked.

Suffering is basically an English Tradition.
sad but true.

-----

https://twitter.com/user/status/972510889298612227

simply embarrassing.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #1722
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
You didn't miss much. Liverpool controlled most of the ball, but United did an excellent job of controlling space all game
Yup, Jose summed it up well. United controlled the first half and scored.
Liverpool then controlled the ball but United always in control without the ball. All that possession and zero shots tells its own story.

Basically Mourinho drove the bus over Klopp's head a couple of times before parking on it.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #1723
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
sad but true.

-----

simply embarrassing.

I went to West Ham v Watford last season. It all kicked off in one of the stands. They lost 4-2 but that wasn’t the issue behind the fighting. The fighting was between those who decided they should be allowed to stand all through the game, the stewards, (who weren’t even West Ham employees) and those with children who wanted to sit and were pissed off because their kids couldn’t see.

It looked like a wave of violence from where we were in the stand behind the goal.

My friend gave me his tickets because he couldn’t go so I went with my son.

The move to that stadium has been and will be looked upon in future as great for the owners that have coined it in, and awful for the fans.

It is a terrible stadium for football. And the location is the pits. The whole match day experience is like a damp squib. The fans are not allowed to take the nearest route from Stratford station and can’t even go into the Westfield Centre for a pre match feed. You walk for ages to get to the stadium with no pre match activities and end up in a soulless ground (and I’m an Arsenal supporter!)and in a seat miles from the pitch no matter how much you pay for it.

The stewards must be crap there because I don’t know how individuals can make all the distance they have to to gain access onto the pitch.

My friend is Football crazy and has supported West Ham all his life. He brings his children there.

He isn’t renewing next season. I feel bad for him and all their real fans.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 11:59 AM   #1724
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
sad but true.

-----

simply embarrassing.
Talk about awkward for the Burnley players though.

I mean, here you are, just showing up for work and its like your co-worker's crazy ex-wife walks in and just starts screaming and throwing things around the office.

Its not your fault, you just showed up for work and did your job, but the whole atmosphere just turns tense and awkward....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #1725
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
You didn't miss much. Liverpool controlled most of the ball, but United did an excellent job of controlling space all game.

This season's Liverpool/United matchups were the most boring I can remember.
I'm guessing I can figure out how it went, but if Liverpool have an 'Achilles Heel' that is it. They have a lot of trouble unlocking teams that park the bus.

Its not a flaw unique to Liverpool by any means, but if you want answers to why we lose or draw lower-end teams its because they park and are difficult to break down and United do the same thing, just with better players.

Look at what happened to City, they attacked and lost. United sat back and locked it up and it worked.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #1726
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post

...The move to that stadium has been and will be looked upon in future as great for the owners that have coined it in, and awful for the fans.

It is a terrible stadium for football. And the location is the pits. The whole match day experience is like a damp squib. The fans are not allowed to take the nearest route from Stratford station and can’t even go into the Westfield Centre for a pre match feed. You walk for ages to get to the stadium with no pre match activities and end up in a soulless ground (and I’m an Arsenal supporter!)and in a seat miles from the pitch no matter how much you pay for it...
When I went in 2015, I was in awe of how tight-knit the area around Upton Park felt. Scarf and flag sellers were everywhere the moment you left the tube station. Grabbing a pint at the Boyelyn, you could hear singing and chanting everywhere. The pre-match atmosphere was electric, and I felt really connected with the history of football- that was something I yearned for. The stadium itself was tight around the pitch, and it basically was a cauldron of noise. Even sitting higher up in the second level, the view was wonderful. That's why I became a West Ham supporter. I showed up knowing next-to-nothing about the club, and I left totally captivated by the whole experience.

I was at the London 2012 Olympics, and while Olympic Park is very nice, it feels a bit sterile with the gleaming, modern Westfield shopping centre being the only notable infrastructure in the vicinity.

I think the soul of West Ham as a football club really has been damaged.

The question is what to do about the state of the club? I fear relegation, but it could be a needed impetus for change. You can't pretend "everything is fine" with a 60000+ seat stadium in the Championship.

I'm glad that West Ham is trying to move beyond it's Green Street Hooligans days. We saw some of that today, but I think that ugly side to the club isn't as prominent as it once was.

A modern, large stadium is needed given the economics of the Premier League today. I don't think the London Stadium should be abandoned, but the seats all need to be moved closer to the pitch like the Etihad after the Commonweath Games or even Madison Square Garden where both tiers were entirely replaced in phases.

Also, the board has gotta go. From leaking potential transfers on social media to bashing young players, the board has not acted in the best interest of fans or players.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else could be done, but that would be a start.

There used to be a "five year plan" for West Ham to reach the Champions League. Imagine that!

Last edited by Kipper is King; 03-10-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Kipper is King is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kipper is King For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #1727
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
There used to be a "five year plan" for West Ham to reach the Champions League. Imagine that!
How many years ago was that?

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #1728
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
How many years ago was that?
Actually, I was wrong. It was a seven year plan as of 2010.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...m-1872412.html

Gosh, we're just so close.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #1729
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Actually, I was wrong. It was a seven year plan as of 2010.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...m-1872412.html

Gosh, we're just so close.
No, no, no! You just misunderstood.

It wasnt a 7-Year Plan for the Champion's League.

It was a 7-Year Plan for the Championship.

Easy mistake. I can totally understand that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #1730
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was reading a bit about the potential issues today for West Ham. They (supporters) had been planning a march and were upset, and then some other group was angry about this and somehow it got all political with “antifa” and all that junk involved. It was a little beyond me because I don’t know who all these groups are. They came to some agreement though, and the club tried to nullify the whole thing by making today Bobby Moore day (or something of that nature). It’s basically a complete mess, to the point I almost feel bad even making fun of them.

The FA should just dock them 15 points. It’s tough, but I think fair!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #1731
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joe Hart can't start this summer

Right now order should be pickford, butland, playing with 11 outfield players, seaman, foster, Hart

If butland gets his form up a bit I bet he starts

Kinda weird how the squad is so open right now with less than 10 league games left

I'd say only guaranteed starters right now

Walker at rwb or rb
Stones at cb
Dier as dm
Sterling
Kane
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:47 AM   #1732
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Right now order should be pickford, butland, playing with 11 outfield players, seaman, foster, Hart
ha! Seems about right.

In all honesty, I don't see how picking Hart as one of the three goalkeepers would in any way be justified. Yesterday was his first game since November and he immediately screwed it up. I don't even know why Moyes started him ... Adrian was on the bench, so it wasn't injury-related. It makes little sense to go with Hart over Adrian when both are healthy. Stupid Moyes.

Personally I'd take Nick Pope to Russia alongside Pickford and Butland. He has been excellent for Burnley and his 11 clean sheets are 5th in the league (behind De Gea, Ederson, Lloris and Courtois). I'd also take one of their CBs (Tarkowski).

Found out yesterday that Ashley Barnes is eligible to play for Austria. Hope it happens, we are starving for strikers.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #1733
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Joe Hart can't start this summer

If butland gets his form up a bit I bet he starts

Kinda weird how the squad is so open right now with less than 10 league games left

I'd say only guaranteed starters right now

Walker at rwb or rb
Stones at cb
Dier as dm
Sterling
Kane
Hey! Hungary had their crazy-old sweatpants goalie so the day has not yet come where David Seaman cant once again play for England!

"All In for Seaman!!"

Wait...that doesnt sound right...

Old 03-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #1734
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really, TSN? The Brier?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #1735
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Really, TSN? The Brier?
I feel your pain. The goddamned Briar!

Curse you Curling! Its just Life-Sized Shuffleboard on ice! Get over it!

Old 03-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #1736
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kane off with an ankle injury.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #1737
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Does he need a Kane to walk?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #1738
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Welp. Thats the World Cup then.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #1739
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

It didn't look too bad it is the same ankle as last year, so fingers crossed

Luckily next league game is 3 weeks away
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #1740
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, probably a good thing. Can rest up during the international break.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote