Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-14-2022, 04:47 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default 'Super-Fast' car charger that also provides passthrough for AndroidAuto?

Just bought a new 2021 Nissan. Asked for Android Auto, but wasn't aware they had "wired and wireless" versions. Mine is wired, and the usb port for connecting my Fold 3 to use it only provides trickle charging.

Does anyone know of a charger that fits in the lighter socket and pumps out a faster charge over USB-C, but also provides a separate passthrough port that I can connect into the car USB for using Android Auto?

Hopefully that makes sense. Think of it like I'm looking for a charger that fits into a lighter socket. I want to plug my phone into it for high speed charging, and I also want to plug my car into it to provide a passthrough connection to my phone for Android Auto.

Edit: Or perhaps another option is maybe just getting a wireless dongle for the car that converts my wired into wireless Android Auto? I see some devices like this out there, but they look kinda gimmicky...

Last edited by FanIn80; 02-14-2022 at 04:49 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:30 AM   #2
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do none of the USB ports have a charge symbol on them? They should charge at a normal rate.

Yeah dongles should also work, https://www.caraudionow.com/best-app...less-adapters/

Edit: scrap what I said about the charger, you need to use the auto port duh, I'm so smart. No splitter that I have heard of.

Last edited by Raekwon; 02-15-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 11:45 AM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They do exist, this is from Amazon US. Some reviews say it works, others don't:

https://www.amazon.com/USB-C-Extra-P...1L91CCHC/?th=1
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 03:08 PM   #4
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best to wait, maybe, for the Google certified Motorola branded wireless AA dongle. It should be widely available shortly
Motorola MA1

https://9to5google.com/2022/02/01/mo...amazon-target/
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 03:41 PM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's kind of hilarious/sad how bad car manufacturers are at this. How hard would it be to provide up to 5A(or even 2A) in a USB port? Not hard at all.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 03:58 PM   #6
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh man, don't even get me started on car manufacturers and infotainment systems. Like, how do you install a system and then do ZERO code/feature updates to it? I realize my phone is a lot smarter than a car stereo, but still; build in some availability to update code/features/etc. Feckin thieves.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 05:48 PM   #7
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Oh man, don't even get me started on car manufacturers and infotainment systems. Like, how do you install a system and then do ZERO code/feature updates to it? I realize my phone is a lot smarter than a car stereo, but still; build in some availability to update code/features/etc. Feckin thieves.
I'm glad that my car managed to get an OEM Garmin system so I can update the maps using an SD card, because it would otherwise be stuck in the 2000s like the Volvo navigation system in the earlier models.

Although I have been looking into creating a new infotainment system for the car using a 6.5" screen, and Pi 4 running Android.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 09:55 PM   #8
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I'm glad that my car managed to get an OEM Garmin system so I can update the maps using an SD card, because it would otherwise be stuck in the 2000s like the Volvo navigation system in the earlier models.

Although I have been looking into creating a new infotainment system for the car using a 6.5" screen, and Pi 4 running Android.
Yeah I was thinking about seeing if I could turn one of my old Pis into a dongle of sorts
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:49 AM   #9
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Yeah I was thinking about seeing if I could turn one of my old Pis into a dongle of sorts
This is what I was looking at doing, one of the members in our DIY group has been putting this setup together:
Spoiler!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 11:50 AM   #10
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Just bought a new 2021 Nissan. Asked for Android Auto, but wasn't aware they had "wired and wireless" versions. Mine is wired, and the usb port for connecting my Fold 3 to use it only provides trickle charging.

Does anyone know of a charger that fits in the lighter socket and pumps out a faster charge over USB-C, but also provides a separate passthrough port that I can connect into the car USB for using Android Auto?

Hopefully that makes sense. Think of it like I'm looking for a charger that fits into a lighter socket. I want to plug my phone into it for high speed charging, and I also want to plug my car into it to provide a passthrough connection to my phone for Android Auto.

Edit: Or perhaps another option is maybe just getting a wireless dongle for the car that converts my wired into wireless Android Auto? I see some devices like this out there, but they look kinda gimmicky...
There should be cables that allow you do "split" so that you can send data one way and connect another charging another way. But those kinda suck.

Does your phone have no ability to do Qi charging?

https://www.amazon.ca/Auckly-Wireles...ps%2C98&sr=8-6

Plug the qi charger to the cigarette lighter and then wired to do Android Auto.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote