Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
wranglers 20 years ago today... the Saint John Flames win the Calder Cup.

It was the last professional hockey championship won by the Flames' organization, and the last time an AHL team in the Maritimes brought the Cup home. May 28, 2001.

The full video of the decisive Game 6 can be found here.

I had the opportunity to speak to the man on the call, Andy Campbell, for a half-hour in advance of this anniversary. He shared some great stories about the people on that team and his experience becoming a part of the organization.

https://thewincolumn.ca/2021/05/28/t...oadcast-booth/

A couple select excerpts:

Spoiler!
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #2
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

It's to bad our farm team moves around so much, it's kinda hard to keep track anymore.

But I remember Saint John being synonymous with the Flames at one point.

It's now Stockton, before that Abbotsford, Quad Cities, Scorch, I forget that one lol.

Good memories on the win from the Maritimes though.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes it was kind of nice to have a farm team and clocationthat was stable and truly felt linked to the team.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Martin Brochu and Levente Szuper.... there's some names I haven't heard in a LONG time, wow.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:02 PM   #5
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Of note... This article never would have been written had CP poster Flamesguy_SJ not told me Andy Campbell, with whom I previously worked on a UNB story in his current capacity as media coordinator for the UNB Reds, was also on the call on May 28, 2001.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 05-29-2021 at 10:12 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 01:21 PM   #6
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a great team and a great night that was. I was fortunate to be about the same age as all the guys and Varlamov lived downstairs from us and became a good friend.

We partied like rockstars that night. Just a great group of guys.

Tomorrow is actually also the 10th anniversary of the Saint John Sea Dogs winning the Memorial Cup.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TimSJ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 03:50 PM   #7
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss the Salt Lake City Golden Eagles
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #8
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Awesome logo!
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:22 PM   #9
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Must say... I'm a little disappointed not to see any acknowledgement of this anniversary from either the Flames or the Heat.

Seems like it would be a cool part of history to recognize. Members of that Saint John team also played roles in Calgary making the final in 2004.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:49 PM   #10
P-DAZZLE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
It's to bad our farm team moves around so much, it's kinda hard to keep track anymore.

But I remember Saint John being synonymous with the Flames at one point.

It's now Stockton, before that Abbotsford, Quad Cities, Scorch, I forget that one lol.

Good memories on the win from the Maritimes though.
Idea: Petition to rename Glen Falls or the Adirondack region to Scorch, NY.
P-DAZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #11
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Martin Brochu and Levente Szuper.... there's some names I haven't heard in a LONG time, wow.
Szuper Duper was his nickname
Old 05-28-2021, 05:38 PM   #12
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I miss the Salt Lake City Golden Eagles
Big fan of the moncton Flames
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:56 PM   #13
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some players I have fond memories of on that team.

Always loved Steve Begin.
Montador was a huge part of the 03-04 run.
I still have a Blair Betts PG jersey. He'd go on to have a nice little career as a 4th line centerman in NY and Philly.
Daniel Tkaczuk..what could've been had he not had that concussion.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The lineup

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/...002602001.html

This story was posted three years ago that explains what happened to Daniel Tkachuk.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...ith-no-regrets

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 06:35 PM   #15
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Szuper Duper was his nickname
I remember Szuper Man.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:51 PM   #16
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Marc "Missing Persons" Bureau.

Never found out why he bolted the team.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:04 AM   #17
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
It was the last professional hockey championship won by the Flames' organization, and the last time an AHL team in the Maritimes brought the Cup home. May 28, 2001.

The full video of the decisive Game 6 can be found here.

I had the opportunity to speak to the man on the call, Andy Campbell, for a half-hour in advance of this anniversary. He shared some great stories about the people on that team and his experience becoming a part of the organization.

https://thewincolumn.ca/2021/05/28/t...oadcast-booth/

A couple select excerpts:

Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Of note... This article never would have been written had CP poster FlamesFan_SJ not told me Andy Campbell, with whom I previously worked on a UNB story in his current capacity as media coordinator for the UNB Reds, was also on the call on May 28, 2001.
I was a season ticket holder from 1999 (at the tender age of 11) through to when the team left in 2003. Used to mow lawns at my church through the summer to pay for the tickets.

The year they went to the finals, we got a schedule printed out with our season tickets. I taped it to the inside of my desk at school and crossed out each game and marked whether they won, lost, or tied. I moved recently and found it, which was pretty cool.

Also, since you mentioned Szuper, I caught a game puck that same year. You could turn it in at customer service and they'd get it signed by a player and ship it to you at home, and I was SO torn on whose autograph I wanted: Chris Clark or Levente Szuper. Up until VERY recently, the world's only Levente Szuper signed puck kept me company on my desk at work.

That team, and that 2001 run, made a huge impression on me. It's basically what led me to become a true Calgary Flames fan after the team left SJ - it certainly didn't hurt that the 2004 Finals had a ton of SJ representation between both squads (Stillman, St. Louis, and Dingman all played in SJ).

I posted these on Twitter, but here's a couple of my most cherished items from that season: lithograph of Marty Murray on Parade Day, the aforementioned printed schedule, the official team photo with the Calder Cup, a t-shirt I caught at intermission and got the team to sign over the course of the year.

Spoiler!
Flamesguy_SJ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flamesguy_SJ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 07:26 AM   #18
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s team was great fun to cheer for, they went 12-0 against the Hamilton Bulldogs who was the Oilers farm team at the time (real dark time)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #19
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Living near Hartford at the time and caught this squad playing the Wolf Pack a few times that season. I remember following this run through the 'Other scores' in the Hartford Courant--not sure the AHL had a comprehensive website back then? Or maybe I just never used the internet (I was 13 during this run).

A few things:
1. Man, Marty Murray seemed to be in our system forever. I used to confuse him with a guy we had for a minute named Michael Murray--no relation but both played for Saint John between 95 and 97.

2. This 2001 squad was tough! I forgot we had Doug Doull who went on to have a cup of coffee in 2004 with Boston. He really had zero business being in the NHL but that era before the lockout was a weird one for enforcers. Also had Dave Roche who was a sneaky good tough guy. Didn't he knock out Probert when he played for Pittsburgh?

2a. Speaking of tough guys and sign o the times. The Wilkes-Barre roster was stacked: Denis Bonvie, Darcy Verot, Billy Tibbetts, Trent Cull, Jason MacDonald--wow.

3. I have zero memory of Derrick Walser and Darrel Scoville. Both these guys were young and looked like they played top D minutes. Were they ever considered top prospects? They both went on to play for Columbus a few seasons later.

4. There is a blog that follows backup goalies (drawing a blank on the URL) and there is a post that discusses guys who were called up and only 'dressed' as a backup and Levente Szuper is featured. There is also a picture of him floating around sitting on the CGY bench. Again, surprised in all those early 2000 years of CGY mediocracy, that he he never got a game in.

5. Does anyone know of any online resources where you can find detailed vintage AHL boxscores? I bet if you dug deep on internet archive you could probably find something. It's a shame that these are probably lost forever. I wonder if the AHL HQ has something like that--would be cool to dig through those. This is probably a needle in a haystack question.
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #20
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastFlamesFan View Post
Living near Hartford at the time and caught this squad playing the Wolf Pack a few times that season. I remember following this run through the 'Other scores' in the Hartford Courant--not sure the AHL had a comprehensive website back then? Or maybe I just never used the internet (I was 13 during this run).

A few things:
1. Man, Marty Murray seemed to be in our system forever. I used to confuse him with a guy we had for a minute named Michael Murray--no relation but both played for Saint John between 95 and 97.

2. This 2001 squad was tough! I forgot we had Doug Doull who went on to have a cup of coffee in 2004 with Boston. He really had zero business being in the NHL but that era before the lockout was a weird one for enforcers. Also had Dave Roche who was a sneaky good tough guy. Didn't he knock out Probert when he played for Pittsburgh?

2a. Speaking of tough guys and sign o the times. The Wilkes-Barre roster was stacked: Denis Bonvie, Darcy Verot, Billy Tibbetts, Trent Cull, Jason MacDonald--wow.

3. I have zero memory of Derrick Walser and Darrel Scoville. Both these guys were young and looked like they played top D minutes. Were they ever considered top prospects? They both went on to play for Columbus a few seasons later.

4. There is a blog that follows backup goalies (drawing a blank on the URL) and there is a post that discusses guys who were called up and only 'dressed' as a backup and Levente Szuper is featured. There is also a picture of him floating around sitting on the CGY bench. Again, surprised in all those early 2000 years of CGY mediocracy, that he he never got a game in.

5. Does anyone know of any online resources where you can find detailed vintage AHL boxscores? I bet if you dug deep on internet archive you could probably find something. It's a shame that these are probably lost forever. I wonder if the AHL HQ has something like that--would be cool to dig through those. This is probably a needle in a haystack question.
1. I believe Marty Murray actually had a couple of separate stints with the Flames. He was on that 1997-98 SJ team that went to the finals against the Phantoms. When he and Michael Murray played on the team together, they had Ma. Murray and Mi. Murray on the backs of their jerseys to tell them apart.

2. I wanted Roche to break the franchise single-season goal scoring record so bad! He came pretty close - 32 vs 35 (Cory Stillman in the first season in Saint John). I think he played on the top line with Murray & Varlamov.

2a. Billy Tibbetts could only play the games in Pennsylvania because he had a previous statutory rape conviction and couldn't cross the border. From his Wiki:

Quote:
In 1994, Tibbetts plead guilty to statutory rape, based on a 1992 interaction between a 17-year-old Tibbetts and a 15-year-old girl.[1] His sentence was suspended for 42 months.
As a result of the convictions, Tibbetts had to register as a sex offender and could not play games in Canada.[5]
Woof.

3. If memory serves, they were the top pair that year. I feel like they were both pretty small for defenders. Even though he might have been young at the time, Scoville always struck me as an old player.

4. Szuper was great. The other goalie that year (Brochu) came in from a stacked Portland Pirates team the year before and never really impressed me much, until the playoffs - had a shutout in the first game of each of the first three series, and the last game of the final.

5. Your best bet is honestly a local library, or your newspaper if they have an archive available.
Flamesguy_SJ is online now   Reply With Quote