Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #1161
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Anyone else Shaw internet down? None of my computers connect to the net. I'm using my cell phone network to get online now.
Probably moot now, but yesterday morning I did have some issues briefly, and it was around the time of your post. I'm in Tuscany. It seemed to resolve itself fairly quickly.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:58 PM   #1162
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We have Blue Curve (not sure if this matters) but our DVR's are having some issues. Every time I try to play back a recording it is laggy, glitches and hiccups throughout the program. I have called Shaw and they have gotten as far as telling me to reboot and that's about it. Next step for them was to send out a tech. Anyone experience this and is the only fix a replacement? I find this very doubtful that it would be a hardware issue since it is happening on all of our boxes.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:04 PM   #1163
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a gateway and mine was doing that last month. I figured a hard drive was dying, and sure enough, I unplugged my external one, and it worked again. I grabbed a replacement, and now no problems. So I'd lean towards a hard drive problem. If it's internal, Shaw should give you a new system...if you can convince them to try that. Maybe they can remote diagnose hard drive issues?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 03:41 PM   #1164
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can I use an external HD with the Blue Curve?

My FFWD also has stopped working for on demand. We had a tech install our last Blue Curve and he did the cheat code to be able to fast forward any program. That was awesome. I can't find this listed anywhere, how to do it.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:51 PM   #1165
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure on Blue Curve, but if the internal drive has errors, I think you will still have problems. My internal drive recordings were also glitchy until I disconnected the external one.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #1166
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ah, I see. Well, time to call Shaw I guess. Last couple of go rounds with tech support they had an hour wait for phone support so I tried the chat in the app and it was about as helpful as you would think.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:02 PM   #1167
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never mind, my code no longer works

Last edited by dino7c; 01-26-2021 at 05:04 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #1168
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm in the same boat for mobile plans. 3 kids that really don't need much if any data since they know Wifi is abundant makes the $0 plan with and added Gb of data look pretty good. Add on $45/mo for mine and my wifes phones and i'd be looking to save about $150/mo overall.

Too good to be true?
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #1169
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
I'm in the same boat for mobile plans. 3 kids that really don't need much if any data since they know Wifi is abundant makes the $0 plan with and added Gb of data look pretty good. Add on $45/mo for mine and my wifes phones and i'd be looking to save about $150/mo overall.

Too good to be true?
Same thing here. I use about 3gb/m on my phone so just want a small cheap option. That $45/m for 25gb + 2gb partner network seems to fit well. Shaw doesnt have a family plan which would be ideal, but you can get the $10/gb plan as well. Bit worried about speed (they say no issue, LTE). But it's at least $35/m cheaper than the cheapest $80/15gb plan on Telus.

Telus also said there's little/nothing they can do. Struggling to see why we wouldn't move over to Shaw.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:02 AM   #1170
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tradeoff with Shaw mobile is still the coverage and signal strength when in your home zone in basements and offices (just like the early days of Fido in the late 90s) in town.

As for cable, got Blue Curve recently and some things bug me over the old Gateway.
- Not being able to set recordings on the app anymore. Out and running late for a Flames game, with Gateway app I could setup the recording. No dice with Blue Curve, which is ridiculous given that our 5+;year old Gateway system could do this through the same app.

- The Ffwd and rewind button aren't synced with what is shown on the screen as you are rewinding or ffwd. I want to rewind something back 10 seconds like a Flames goal, but when I do and the picture on the screen rewinds to where I seem to want to go and push play, it hasn't rewound and goes back to basically the live feed. Same thing the next time. Then I let it rewind an extra few seconds and it's gone back further than what the screen shows. Very annoying.

-No "last channel" button on the remote like Gateway

-Another rewind Ffwd issue; on the Gateway, when you pushed pause, if you pushed Ffwd or rrwd it would do a slow mo frame by frame. No such thing on Gateway.

-Default the guide to show only the channels we have. Each time you have to open the guide twice to be able to select that option.

Still have a Gateway box and big box, Shaw has shut it down after a month for live tv but can still access all the PVR.

Hopefully Blue Curve gets some of the old functionality back as mentioned above, unless I am doing something wrong.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:30 PM   #1171
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just went to Blue Curve after having some old school Pace/Motorola boxes, so my experience is different but has been mostly positive. All of your criticisms are valid, but I have found a few workarounds for some of them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna
As for cable, got Blue Curve recently and some things bug me over the old Gateway.
- Not being able to set recordings on the app anymore. Out and running late for a Flames game, with Gateway app I could setup the recording. No dice with Blue Curve, which is ridiculous given that our 5+;year old Gateway system could do this through the same app.
Yeah - ridiculous that you can't set a recording on the app. I have simply set an auto recording with 1 hour of extra time tacked onto the end - just in case. I don't trust it when it says that it will auto-extend if the game runs late. I also have it set to only keep two games, so I'm not going in to manually delete Flames games.

I am very much a "timeshifter" with my hockey though, so having every game recorded is good. I often watch most or all of the game after the fact. Kid in bed, beverage poured, plus I can get through a game much quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna
- The Ffwd and rewind button aren't synced with what is shown on the screen as you are rewinding or ffwd. I want to rewind something back 10 seconds like a Flames goal, but when I do and the picture on the screen rewinds to where I seem to want to go and push play, it hasn't rewound and goes back to basically the live feed. Same thing the next time. Then I let it rewind an extra few seconds and it's gone back further than what the screen shows. Very annoying.
I don't even bother with the FFWD and RWD buttons, but rely heavily on the skip buttons. You can reprogram them to be 15 seconds back and 30 seconds forward, which is perfect for hockey. Commercial break? Skip ahead x3 for 90 seconds. Regular stoppages in play? Skip back 15 and forward 30. Intermission? Use the voice command to "skip ahead 18 minutes".

To reprogram your skip forward and back buttons, do the following DURING a reboot of the box (otherwise the box receives the signals and it doesn't work very well):

> Press EXIT - EXIT - EXIT - 0 - 0 - 3 - 0 on the BlueCurve TV remote

And I agree with all of your criticisms. One peeve of mine is that when I am recording a Flames game but want to watch the recording in-progress, it says "in home" and explains that I can only watch it when connected to my home wifi, which I am. I thought that this might be because my modem is bridged and I have my boxes connected to my own third-party router, but after some reading it seems that the message is inaccurate. On a Shaw forum somewhere someone said that it is a rights issue with the in-progress recording, and still doesn't work even if you are connected directly to the Blue Curve router (i.e. not bridged). Can anyone confirm?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #1172
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post

-No "last channel" button on the remote like Gateway

-Default the guide to show only the channels we have. Each time you have to open the guide twice to be able to select that option.
Have they changed the Blue Sky remote? I switched to Blue Sky when it first launched. My remote has a "Last" button on it which acts as a last channel button. It is slightly different though in that it doesn't jump right back to the previous channel but instead it shows the 6 or 7 most recent channels and you select the one you want to go to. I actually really prefer that to just a single lady channel.

Also with the guide, I have mine with a default set to "Free to me" and when I push the "Guide" button on the remote it opens right to that setting. I don't need to push anything twice.

What I dislike about Blue Sky vs Gateway was that the Gateway seemed to record other channels by default which the Blue Sky does not do. Ie. If you are switching between two channels during commercials you could always rewind either channel with Gateway but Blue Sky doesn't allow that.

Also with Bluesky you can't pause on one TV and move to a different room/TV and continue the program. That was a nice feature on Gateway.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #1173
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Also with the guide, I have mine with a default set to "Free to me" and when I push the "Guide" button on the remote it opens right to that setting. I don't need to push anything twice.
Actually I just checked. Go to: settings > preferences > general > default guide view > free to me

That'll get the guide to show just the available channels on the first press.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 08:29 AM   #1174
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I'm getting a message that I'm not subscribed to my all my usual channels. Why would that be? My bill is paid every month.

Shaw Help has not responded yet.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:34 AM   #1175
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

My and my mother in law's cable is also out
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #1176
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/service-u...-or/ta-p/33030

Trouble shooting instructions are in this link - hoping this works.

edit: it worked for me

Last edited by calf; 02-05-2021 at 10:20 AM.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 12:10 PM   #1177
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

My son's Dick Tracy like communicator/tracker he uses to keep in touch with us when he's out and about in the neighborhood is starting to fail. It uses for tracking and data a CDMA sim that is linked for an extra $10 a month to my wife's Rogers account.

It's his B-Day next week and I went into a mobile shop and walked out with an iPhone SE for $0 down, $0 plan $25 a month for the device. Pretty crazy for only $15 a month more, he can have an iPhone.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:50 PM   #1178
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
https://support.shaw.ca/t5/service-u...-or/ta-p/33030

Trouble shooting instructions are in this link - hoping this works.

edit: it worked for me
Yep, refresh through the Shaw app worked. Thanks for the link.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #1179
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else having connection issues? Just lost internet and TV. NW Calgary (Tuscany).

so much for WFH and the kids are freaking out - one in the middle of a Zoom meeting for work and the other in the middle of spring class (university).

Just went down at about 2:15pm
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #1180
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Anyone else Shaw internet down? None of my computers connect to the net. I'm using my cell phone network to get online now.
Mine did around the same time, I just waited about 3 minutes and it recovered, my router takes longer to reboot than that.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote