Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-08-2024, 04:17 PM   #1
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default My reading challenge

I’ve set a goal to read 10 books this year. It’s a far cry from my wife’s 50 in 2023 but I could never match her. I’ll post short reviews here to show my progress and to motivate me. You’ll notice a preference for politics, science, travel, and WWII and non-fiction.

Book 1 - Enough by Cassidy Hutchinson: I rate this 7.5/10. Cassidy was fresh out of university when she was hired at the White House as special assistant to Trump and his chief of staff, Mark Meadows. As a WH insider she testified at the hearings into the January 6 attack on the US. Capitol at great risk to her safety and career. Her heroism pretty much ruined her life. She was the victim of physical threats for revealing Trump’s involvement. Cassidy is very smart and her testimony spoke volumes about the then-president’s attack against the nation - even against then-VP Mike Pence, whom Trump supporters wanted to have hanged; they even built a gallows and brought a rope. Oddly, I finished this book Jan. 6, 2024, the anniversary of the attack on the Capitol. We’re traveling to the Amazon in a few weeks so maybe that’s one to consider for an upcoming book.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2024, 10:59 PM   #2
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great job. Looking forward to it. My resolution last year was to read more books, actual physical ones. Managed about 12-15 books. Aiming for repeat this year too. Have a backlog of about 10-12 books next to the bed. Am thinking of going ereader after that but may be tough as some excellent paper out-of-print books available that aren’t digital.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2024, 11:23 PM   #3
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great thread!! I always love reading but in how many years, I have not had the ability to actually sit down and read a book. Just can't concentrate. Love reading articles, online, news, magazines and more.

Maybe I will try and take up the challenge !
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2024, 03:40 AM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I totally thought you were going to confess to being dyslexic or something.

This is better.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2024, 10:06 AM   #5
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Your wife does 50??? I'm lucky to read 4 books a year.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:00 AM   #6
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good stuff, MG - looking forward to your reports.

I've started off the year on a space/astronomy kick mixing in the usual doses of epic fantasy, SciFi, ancient wisdom, with even a dash of poetry (mostly haiku related).
Old 01-14-2024, 11:58 AM   #7
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Your wife does 50??? I'm lucky to read 4 books a year.

Comics dont count Dion!
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2024, 12:14 PM   #8
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Great thread!! I always love reading but in how many years, I have not had the ability to actually sit down and read a book. Just can't concentrate. Love reading articles, online, news, magazines and more.

Maybe I will try and take up the challenge !

I also used to be a voracious reader... then really backed off and also had hard times getting back to it. Turned to "the device" and whilst online reading can be ok, there's no substitute IMO for a "real" book.
I'd suggest getting 2-3 books where at least one of them has short sections or short chapters where you can get value from a 5-10min read session. Lots of self-help or personal finance books are structured to support the ~10min read session.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 02:21 PM   #9
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Book No. 2 completed Jan. 18, 2024: In Hitler’s Bunker, by Armin Lehmann

People who know me well won’t be surprised at this selection. I love WWII in Europe stuff and am fascinated with the fanaticism around Hitler and Nazi ideals. This book is stamped from a library in Tasmania; I purchased it at a book sale when we were in Australia in November 2022.

The author was an avid Nazi supporter who served as a courier in Berlin in the last months and days of the Hitler regime. He served in HItler’s bunker so witnessed the demise of the man and Nazism. Only age 17 at the war’s end, Lehmann earned various medals for bravery and service.

Some 30,000 German teenagers died in Hitler’s defence in the Russian onslaught of Berlin, but Lehmann managed to survive despite being severely injured on multiple occasions. Lehmann was one of the teens who were invited to greet Hitler on his birthday April 20, 1945, 10 days before Hitler’s death and some three weeks before the war ended. You may have seen photos of Lehmann greeting Hitler.

This book tells the story of Lehmann’s youth with a brutal SS father who even to his death supported Nazi ideals. It relates Lehmann’s odyssey through the ranks of the Hitler Youth, his gradual realization of the full horror of what he had been part of, and recounts his quest for the truth. It’s a story of how he, instead of running from his past, eventually found peace by confronting it. He eventually became an American citizen.

Not to get too political, but i see parallels between Germany in the 1930s and ‘40s and the U.S. today. I loved this book and give it 9/10.

Book 3: stay tuned as I progress on my quest to read 10 books this year. (My wife has completed five books so far this year. I mention that because someone was suitably impressed.)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 04:30 PM   #10
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came to read MoneyGuy's post about how he can't read and faked his way through school, left disappointed.

Last edited by GioforPM; 01-18-2024 at 04:34 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 11:06 PM   #11
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I havent read a full novel since grade 12. My 11 YO daughter read every Harry Potter book in the last 16 months. That's like over 4000 pages. I feel shame
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 08:50 AM   #12
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I used to read about 3 or 4 books a year.

Last year I hit 58.

Two key things:

- Kobo
- Libby app connected to the Calgary Public Library

Good luck!
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 08:59 AM   #13
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few years ago I read A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout. A true story about a woman from Red Deer who used to travel to Africa for humanitarian work. In Somalia, her and her colleague were kidnapped. She was physically abused, raped, tortured, etc before being released a year and a half later. Some pretty graphic details in the book. She went on a tour about her experiences and even returned to Somalia years later to continue her humanitarian work. I hate saying it was an excellent read given her experience, but it really was captivating and inspiring to read of her strength to get through it.

Unfortunately it didn't seem to have a happy ending in real life. Apparently the colleague and her disputed the facts of what happened and had a big falling out. As well, she had a pretty big following on social media, but it was pretty clear that she was having mental health issues that was exasperated by a bunch of perverted dudes with kidnapping/rape fetishes messaging her constantly. She said that every man she tried to date ended up being some pervert who had a fetish for her experiences, so she gave up on having romantic relationships. A few years ago she just disappeared off socials and the public eye, and I haven't heard from her since. Hope she's doing okay.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 09:25 AM   #14
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’ve set a goal to read 10 books this year. It’s a far cry from my wife’s 50 in 2023 but I could never match her. I’ll post short reviews here to show my progress and to motivate me. You’ll notice a preference for politics, science, travel, and WWII and non-fiction.

Book 1 - Enough by Cassidy Hutchinson: I rate this 7.5/10. Cassidy was fresh out of university when she was hired at the White House as special assistant to Trump and his chief of staff, Mark Meadows. As a WH insider she testified at the hearings into the January 6 attack on the US. Capitol at great risk to her safety and career. Her heroism pretty much ruined her life. She was the victim of physical threats for revealing Trump’s involvement. Cassidy is very smart and her testimony spoke volumes about the then-president’s attack against the nation - even against then-VP Mike Pence, whom Trump supporters wanted to have hanged; they even built a gallows and brought a rope. Oddly, I finished this book Jan. 6, 2024, the anniversary of the attack on the Capitol. We’re traveling to the Amazon in a few weeks so maybe that’s one to consider for an upcoming book.
If you want a recommendation, this was an enjoyable read.

The Ice Master: The Doomed 1913 Voyage of the Karluk

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:31 PM   #15
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I havent read a full novel since grade 12. My 11 YO daughter read every Harry Potter book in the last 16 months. That's like over 4000 pages. I feel shame
How many pages of Calgary Pick threads did you read? That's gotta count in some way
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 10:49 AM   #16
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
If you want a recommendation, this was an enjoyable read.

The Ice Master: The Doomed 1913 Voyage of the Karluk
I looked it up. It’s the kind of book I’d enjoy and, bonus, it’s available through TracPac (inter-library loans). Thanks for the lead; it may show up here.
Old 01-20-2024, 05:57 PM   #17
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gotta say cool thread. I'm enjoying the short summaries of various books.

Best ereader recommendations from ya'll? Not looking for an ipad/tablet. Looking for pragmatic recommendations and not a google advertisement; budget ~$100 for used (ie Kijiji or Marketplace).

Considering something about size of ipad mini perhaps. Don't want to be tied down to some subscription service. Needs to be able to download just as easily from the library as from ??? (not sure where else on internet).

Overall... looking to be educated and seeking recommendations to move digital. (Except for those out of print gems that one comes across every now and then... and that are piled next to my bed).
Old 01-20-2024, 09:35 PM   #18
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Project Gutenberg is a good site for free ebooks
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 09:43 PM   #19
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp: