Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #61
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
High-end and burger, are words that should never be combined.

The best burgers are always the greasy spoon, out of a bus, at a carnival type. A high end burger, is like taking a 1970 Challenger, and putting a Nav system, leather seats, and ABS on it. The vinyl burning your legs, as you listen to the Alman brothers on your AM radio, whilst locking up you brakes in a stagnant puddle, adds to the experience, not takes away from it.
Burgers are kind of like pizza and sex - even when it's bad it's still pretty good. I was talking with someone the other day about playing hockey growing up and how the burgers in all the small town arenas were always so good.

I love Rocky's, Fatburger, the Bacon Mushroom Melt from Wendy's - they're all an orgy in my mouth. The high-end theme is just something the three of us do to give it a focus rather than just running out and grabbing the nearest burger.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #62
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you feel ashamed for eating a burger with a knife and fork in a fancy restaurant, you should.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #63
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you are willing to head just out of town, my favourite burgers near Calgary are:
  • Barpa Bill's in Banff
  • Chuckwagon Cafe in Turner Valley

The best burger I have had within the city limits is from FARM (the restaurant attached to Janice Beaton). However, I don't know if that is normally on their menu, since they have a very small and changing menu.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jtfrogger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #64
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The best burgers are always the greasy spoon, out of a bus, at a carnival type. A high end burger, is like taking a 1970 Challenger, and putting a Nav system, leather seats, and ABS on it. The vinyl burning your legs, as you listen to the Alman brothers on your AM radio, whilst locking up you brakes in a stagnant puddle, adds to the experience, not takes away from it.
Not if you use "high-end" as in above average tasting not necessarily with a high price. Rocky's isn't that expensive, but a lot of folks here like it.

Any place that gives me an actual beef patty and not a thawed out frozen processed disk wins in my books.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yasa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #65
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Nice, make sure you take pictures! I've never seen one bigger than about 50 oz.
Reminded me of an episode of Man Vs. Food...

Old 07-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #66
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Diner Deluxe has a nice burger. A great menu overall.

I really like Rocky's Burger Bus - my only complaint is the the patty isn't quite seasoned enough. It's actually a little bit on the bland side.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #67
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I've never eaten at the Breslin (although I've heard it's good), but I just can't fathom lamb ever tasting as satisfying as good beef.
I'm a big lamb fan, but this didn't actually have an overly-lamb taste... just tasted like awesome.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #68
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 for the BMM from Wendys... it's nowhere near an amazing high-end burger... but as far as fast-food chains go, it's my pick.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #69
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

For me a high-end burger is like an Aston Martin. You get the speed and you can enjot itit in comfort. I love having a beer with my burger and you can't do that at Five Guys or Rocky's (not legally anyway). Those are both great burgers but sometimes it's nice to eat them sitting is a comfortable chair, drinking out of a glass, without kids screaming in your ear.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #70
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might get ripped on this, but Joey Hi-Rise burger has been great every time I've had it.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #71
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
A related question -- when I go to the US, and have the option of ordering a burger patty that is NOT well done, I always wimp out. Will having pink inside the burger actually cause me harm? Or have I been completely brainwashed by the Canadian government, where virtually anything that is made with ground beef must be cooked through.
The bacteria that is dangerous is found on the outside of the beef.
You can have a blue rare steak, because the outside of the meat is cooked, even when the inside is almost raw.
Because ground beef mixes the external parts of the beef (which may contain danergous bacteria), with the rest of the meat, it should reach an internal temperature of 160 F to ensure it's safe. It's possible to consume ground beef at lower internal temperatures, but you increase your chances of getting a food-borne illness.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #72
Akai-Sesui
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Surprised no one's mentioned Murietta's burgers yet.
10 bucks for a pretty big delicious burger, with a mountain of fries and salad on the side. That's good value too!

I like the lamb burger even more.
Akai-Sesui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #73
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

What is a high end burger??? There is nothing high end about burgers. I love them, but I wouldn't consider them high end.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #74
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
What is a high end burger??? There is nothing high end about burgers. I love them, but I wouldn't consider them high end.
Quality.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #75
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
A related question -- when I go to the US, and have the option of ordering a burger patty that is NOT well done, I always wimp out. Will having pink inside the burger actually cause me harm? Or have I been completely brainwashed by the Canadian government, where virtually anything that is made with ground beef must be cooked through.
I eat Medium burgers every time I go out and order a burger - I've had no issues and have probably had 20 - 30 over the years prepared that way. Whenever friends/relatives visit from Canada, no one orders anything other than well done and wait for me to get sick
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #76
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
The bacteria that is dangerous is found on the outside of the beef.
You can have a blue rare steak, because the outside of the meat is cooked, even when the inside is almost raw.
Because ground beef mixes the external parts of the beef (which may contain danergous bacteria), with the rest of the meat, it should reach an internal temperature of 160 F to ensure it's safe. It's possible to consume ground beef at lower internal temperatures, but you increase your chances of getting a food-borne illness.
Also, children and the elderly, like most food borne illnesses are much more susceptible to e coli food poisoning. I always cook burgers for myself med, and well done for others. I'm in the meat business however and have full confidence in my own product. If you'd like to try one by ground chuck or sirloin and make it yourself. I would never order one from a restaraunt in the USA, I've seen enough Bovine University videos to know better.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 07-18-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #77
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
I eat Medium burgers every time I go out and order a burger - I've had no issues and have probably had 20 - 30 over the years prepared that way. Whenever friends/relatives visit from Canada, no one orders anything other than well done and wait for me to get sick
Kind of reminds me of this. It's a longish read, but well-written and entertaining. Strangely, it hasn't turned me off my desire to one day try steak tartare...
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #78
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steak tartare is delicious....if you're afraid of the bacteria though, try tuna tartare first.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #79
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 for lounge burger and charcut
Old 07-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #80
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akai-Sesui View Post
Surprised no one's mentioned Murietta's burgers yet.
10 bucks for a pretty big delicious burger, with a mountain of fries and salad on the side. That's good value too!

I like the lamb burger even more.
Mentioned it in the OP - it's on the list but haven't gotten there yet. Good to know it's worth a try.

On a side-note, the first stop on my stag in June was the Murietta's in Canmore.....not sure I should be paying a visit back there anytime soon.....
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote