Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2024, 12:34 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Icon35 The youth movement is on in NYI

We've missed the playoffs (again), but things are looking up on Long Island.

All those years of deficit spending caught up to this team in a big way. A big wake-up call was when Grant told me, when I was once considering leaving the CPHL, that we were so asset-poor that he'd consider folding the franchise.

A couple years later, I'm really proud of some of the changes I've made to this team. We have a bona fide young star on the roster in Clayton Keller, but beyond that, we've actually built a group of top prospects. These guys are at the forefront of what we're trying to build.

Logan Stankoven
Dmitri Simashev
Hendrix Lapierre
Thomas Bordeleau

Beyond them, we're excited about guys like Sam Lipkin, Aleksi Heimosalmi, Vasily Atanasov, Mike Kesselring, Bogdan Konyushkov, Max Szuber, Kirill Kudryavtsev, and James Stefan, plus the likes of Darren Raddysh, Mike Carcone, and Connor Ingram who can slide up into our lineup next season.

I described my team a couple weeks ago to another GM this way: The NYI have spent the last five seasons recovering from my first three seasons. The first step was getting out from all those trade conditions; step two was building a prospect pool.

The next two steps to take over the following 8-12 months will be to end our future cap deficit — we've already traded nearly $10 million of next year's cap in an attempt to stay competitive — and, finally, to hold onto all our own picks for a period of 3-4 years.

I'm not looking to become a prospect hoarder like those nerds in Minnesota. I think you have to play this game a different way to win. You need quality veterans like Nazem Kadri, Vlad Tarasenko, Nick Schmaltz, and Brett Pesce. But it's immensely valuable to have young guys like Stankoven and Lapierre who you can plug into your lineup on the cheap and eventually promote into those premier roles.

We still want to make the playoffs in 2025. I would imagine 2026 will be more of a transitional year as we look to add a top prospect in the draft. Beyond that ... who knows?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 07:59 AM   #2
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's good to learn what type of team you want to build. And not moving out future cap or draft picks for you is a great plan.
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote