Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #21
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, thats the place you need to be.

1. Press 'ENTER' to setup Windows XP.
2. Agree to the license agreement\
3. Press 'R' to repair the selected Windows XP installation.'

Note the caution:
***CAUTION*** if you do not see the option to repair the selected Windows XP installation DO NOT choose the option to continue installing a fresh copy without repairing as that will overwrite your data and cause unrecoverable data loss.

I would have taken the time to find a link similar to this if I wasn't at work, but you seemed to have done well for yourself.

Note: While it could very well mean that it was due to SP2, I don't know that for sure.

Make sure that you perform Windows Update as all the updates that you have previously done are now gone! Unfortunately you have to get all the updates before you grab SP2, if you have problems getting SP2 you may want to backup all the data from the computer and completely reinstall windows, this time performing a full format (NTFS).
Old 03-31-2005, 02:03 PM   #22
Incinerator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyCook@Mar 23 2005, 01:15 AM
I've recently burned a DVD-RW from my DVD recorder on my tv, now I want to upload these hockey videos/highlights onto my computer...

can anybody help me figure out what I need to do for this?
Try this:

DVD Ripper

Another one

Both are free trial versions
Old 03-31-2005, 02:11 PM   #23
Incinerator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Pagal4321@Mar 30 2005, 10:48 PM
Alright guys, seems like I will have a use for this thread after all.
Being home sick I figuered might as well do a bunch of random tests on my computer so just defragmented my C:, ran Spyboy S&D and then ran Ad-Aware.
Now Ad-Aware esspentially froze up, left it running for at least an hour and never finished. MSN Messenger was also giving me errors about not being able to story message history. I then tried to update my Firfox, and that installation also froze. I then decided to turn off the computer safely, so it shut down no problems.

Now when I go to turn it back on it gives me a screen saying Windows can not start up properly. So gives me the choice to start it in safe mod, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good settings, or start it normally. If I do last known good settings or normally, it goes to the WINDOWS XP screen with the little bar on the bottom, then reboots. If I try any of the safe mode options, it starts loading files, then reboots.
I'm running Windows XP w/ SP2, AMD Athlon 64 2800, 512 MB DDR Ram, Gigabyte Mother board.....
Anyone know of what's wrong with my computer or even any solutions?
Certain spywares corrupts Adaware and Spybot S&D, try MS (Giant) Anti-Spyware if your computer is still functional (I assume it is since you can still post here). But Do the Trent Micro HouseCall before you download MS Anti-Spyware if you can. If you managed to get rid of everything smoothly get yourself a copy of NOD32 Anti-Virus. Norton is the biggest piece of crap ever. McAfee is decent but not as good as NOD32. AVG Free is ok for what it is but I wouldn't entrust my PC's security to it.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:55 PM   #24
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unforutnately he can't even start up windows, he is using another computer to post here. Things aren't looking good for him.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:22 PM   #25
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup looks like the HD is toast. Need to slave it, plug it into another computer, burn what files I can then re-format. using my dad's business computer/university computers to post. It's getting fataing annoying all these computer problems.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:07 AM   #26
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by fotze@Mar 31 2005, 04:35 PM
I use mozilla firefox and every once in a while all my bookmarks disapear and I have to start from scratch, it's getting damn annoying.

Are they stored somewhere possibly and I can import them? What would the file extension be so I can search for them?
bookmarks.html and bookmarks.bak (I'm not sure what you can do with the 2nd file as I've never had to try anything with it)

These files are usually located on C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.oam\

the folder after profiles depends on how you've setup Firefox. default.oam is likely the name of the folder if you haven't setup other profiles, if you have then there should be other folders to poke around in, but the bookmarks files will be under one of the folders that you see in the Profiles folder.

hth
Old 04-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #27
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starting just this morning my computer has started minimizing programs that take up the whole window on it's own. It consistently happens every 5 minutes or so. Like I said, this only happens to programs that take up the whole window (I've loaded up several games just to test it and it's done it to every program I tried). There's no way it's a certain button or something I'm pressing because it minimizes the window even if I just let the program sit idly.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #28
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only full screen windows? Hmm that is a bit weird. I've never seen a virus or malware do this, but it can't hurt to scan for them.

Scan for viruses using your virus scanner, if it isn't up to date with the latest virus definitions, then go to Housecall on Trend Micro's site for a free online virus scan.

I am wondering though if somehow a setting got changed in your display settings. On my crappy ol' computer I can't run Unreal with a full screen because I don't have a decent graphics card. Perhaps your settings got changed to a lower screen resolution and the program's or games you are trying need better graphics display.

Let me know if either one of these helps you out or gives a different result.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #29
Mike__
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've got a problem with my internet connection. I have shaw cable at the moment and got 2 computers connected using a Linksys DSL/Cable Router. Anyways, a couple days ago I accidently uplugged a wire from the router and put it back. At first, the internet connection for one computer would work but not the other but now it has switched the other computer would work but not the first one.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 04-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #30
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Sounds like you plugged the wire into the wrong port.. the cable coming from your cable modem should go into the special port on the Linksys for the internet connection, not in one of the ports that's labeled with a #.

If you plug it into the wrong port, your router acts as a simple switch. So the first computer to boot grabs the IP address from Shaw and works fine (though not protected at all), the second boots and can't get an IP because Shaw only gives one.

Plug the network cable coming from the cable modem into the correct port on the linksys and all should be fine.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:20 PM   #31
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just an addition to Photon's comments.

The wire coming from the Cable modem should plug into the "WAN" or "Internet" port on your router. If your router is a couple of years old, you may have an "Uplink" port. You don't want to use this one.

If, once you get the wire into the correct port, this error still occurs, simply unplug the power supply from the back of your router, count to 14 (but not too fast) then plug it back in. This should reset the router without losing any settings that you may have changed.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:04 AM   #32
Mike__
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yah I tried plugging it into the WAN port and no luck. Both computers had no connection. Right now it's in the Uplink port so I can get here and get some advice but it only works for one computer.

Could it be with my connection settings?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #33
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by fotze@Apr 10 2005, 10:44 AM
Here's a stu[id quetion, how can you tell what type of computer you have. I got this thing 3 years ago and can't remember what speed it is. I have Win2000
Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information

or

Right-Click on My Computer.

or

turn your computer off, when you first turn your computer on there should be a message telling you to push a particular button to enter setup. (Usually [del] or [F2]) Hopefully your BIOS is friendly enough to tell you.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:38 AM   #34
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike__@Apr 10 2005, 10:04 AM
Yah I tried plugging it into the WAN port and no luck. Both computers had no connection. Right now it's in the Uplink port so I can get here and get some advice but it only works for one computer.

Well you can do one of two things. You can login to the router and clear your DHCP table. Actually do that first. I'm going to assume you know how to do that. Probably your router is set to give you addresses for a certain amount of time and that time hasn't expired. I've seen this happen. If you cannot logon to your router, or clearing the DHCP table doesn't help, then you should probably have a reset button on the back of the router. With the router on, press this button and hold it down for about 6 seconds (you'll need something pointy like a pen). This will reset all settings and connections.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:03 AM   #35
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by fotze@Apr 10 2005, 11:44 AM
Here's a stu[id quetion, how can you tell what type of computer you have. I got this thing 3 years ago and can't remember what speed it is. I have Win2000
google a program called everest home edition by lavasys

it'll list more about your system than you care to know...

rico
Old 04-11-2005, 10:16 AM   #36
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by ricosuave+Apr 11 2005, 09:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ricosuave @ Apr 11 2005, 09:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-fotze@Apr 10 2005, 11:44 AM
google a program called everest home edition by lavasys

it'll list more about your system than you care to know...

rico [/b][/quote]
I had forgotten about that program, and Belarc Advisor too!

Thanks for the reminder
Old 04-11-2005, 08:35 PM   #37
Mike__
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Buff+Apr 11 2005, 08:38 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Buff @ Apr 11 2005, 08:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mike__@Apr 10 2005, 10:04 AM

Well you can do one of two things. You can login to the router and clear your DHCP table. Actually do that first. I'm going to assume you know how to do that. Probably your router is set to give you addresses for a certain amount of time and that time hasn't expired. I've seen this happen. If you cannot logon to your router, or clearing the DHCP table doesn't help, then you should probably have a reset button on the back of the router. With the router on, press this button and hold it down for about 6 seconds (you'll need something pointy like a pen). This will reset all settings and connections. [/b][/quote]
I'll give it a shot but I have a feeling it has something to do with the connection to my other computer. There are 3 LED lights for each port. Link/Act, Full/Col and 100. For the cable that connects my other computer to my router only Link/Act lights up. Is that normal or what? I tried pinging my computer IP on the other one and it says Timed Out.

Also checked ip config and everything seems to be in order. So I'm guessing either the cable is faulty or the settings are messed up for the other computer. BTW I did try switching ports and no luck so the ports are fine.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:27 PM   #38
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit:
Before you read the following, I just reread the problems, and correct me if I'm wrong but the cable connecting from the modem to the router is connected to the uplink port on the router? This will not allow you to have both computers access the internet unless you are paying for 2 or more IP addresses from your ISP. Uplink is kinda like a pass-through, or rather by using the uplink instead of the WAN you are using your router as a hub/switch instead of a router. The reason why one and not two computers can connect is because you probably only have one IP address from your ISP and one computer gets the IP while, obviously, the other doesn't. Your router may be configured to give out addresses but it probably won't with this configuration.

You need to have the cable connecting the router to the modem to be in the WAN port. This allows you to have some firewall protection and have two computers connect to the internet without only one IP address from your ISP. The cables connecting to the other computers can be in ports 1,2,3 or 4 (or more if you have a larger router) Your router should be configured to give out addresses and the computers should receive them with this setup. Try reseting the router with the reset button if this isn't working like I say it is. If this is the way you have it setup and you are still having problems then read the following:

Ok, I'm just going to ramble out a few questions here.

Only one computer can get an address and get on the internet? Is it always the same computer or does that change?

Assuming it is only one computer, was the computer that can't connect on the other end of the cable that got disconnected from the router? Is the NIC an on-board NIC or installed (PCI NIC)? Is it possible that when you accidentaly disconnected the calbe that the cable gave a good tug on the NIC? If so then the NIC could possibly have been slightly pulled out of its PCI slot. I have seen this happen once before.

What is the IP address of the computer that can connect? (Don't give me the address that Shaw gives you, for your safety.) Is the address something like 70.xxx.xxx.xxx? or is it something like 192.168.xxx.xxx? If it is similar to the first number (it may start with 24 or 64 instead of 70) then your router isn't properly handing out addresses? If it is the second then your router is properly giving out the addresses and either the cable or the computer that isn't working is the problem.

This is probably something simple but it is hard to solve the problem without actually being able to physically play around and see the setup for myself, sorry if I'm not asking the right questions, but hopefully we'll get this solved soon!
Old 04-14-2005, 01:38 PM   #39
Mike__
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Buff@Apr 11 2005, 08:27 PM
Edit:
Before you read the following, I just reread the problems, and correct me if I'm wrong but the cable connecting from the modem to the router is connected to the uplink port on the router? This will not allow you to have both computers access the internet unless you are paying for 2 or more IP addresses from your ISP. Uplink is kinda like a pass-through, or rather by using the uplink instead of the WAN you are using your router as a hub/switch instead of a router. The reason why one and not two computers can connect is because you probably only have one IP address from your ISP and one computer gets the IP while, obviously, the other doesn't. Your router may be configured to give out addresses but it probably won't with this configuration.

You need to have the cable connecting the router to the modem to be in the WAN port. This allows you to have some firewall protection and have two computers connect to the internet without only one IP address from your ISP. The cables connecting to the other computers can be in ports 1,2,3 or 4 (or more if you have a larger router) Your router should be configured to give out addresses and the computers should receive them with this setup. Try reseting the router with the reset button if this isn't working like I say it is. If this is the way you have it setup and you are still having problems then read the following:

Ok, I'm just going to ramble out a few questions here.

Only one computer can get an address and get on the internet? Is it always the same computer or does that change?

Assuming it is only one computer, was the computer that can't connect on the other end of the cable that got disconnected from the router? Is the NIC an on-board NIC or installed (PCI NIC)? Is it possible that when you accidentaly disconnected the calbe that the cable gave a good tug on the NIC? If so then the NIC could possibly have been slightly pulled out of its PCI slot. I have seen this happen once before.

What is the IP address of the computer that can connect? (Don't give me the address that Shaw gives you, for your safety.) Is the address something like 70.xxx.xxx.xxx? or is it something like 192.168.xxx.xxx? If it is similar to the first number (it may start with 24 or 64 instead of 70) then your router isn't properly handing out addresses? If it is the second then your router is properly giving out the addresses and either the cable or the computer that isn't working is the problem.

This is probably something simple but it is hard to solve the problem without actually being able to physically play around and see the setup for myself, sorry if I'm not asking the right questions, but hopefully we'll get this solved soon!
Ok well the cable from the modem was connected to the uplink port only so that I can connect to the internet to get some help. I did try the WAN port and the same things happens, only one computer gets the connection.

Yes the computers cables are connected to the numbered ports. 2 and 3 to be exact. Still no connection.

Same computer everytime, i checked ip config for the other computer and it has an ip address as well.

Not to sure what an NIC is but that could be the cause as the wire was somewhat pulled out. I would check but not sure what it was.

I'm not at my house at the moment but I'm pretty sure the I.P address is similar to the second one. I'll check once I get home but from what i remember it is similar to the second one.

Thanks alot for the help Buff, I understand I'm taking out alot of time out of your day, it is much appreciated.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:07 PM   #40
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you restarted the computer that can't connect?

Oh, and a NIC is a Network Interface Card, it is where you plug the network cable into on the back of your computer.

When you check the address on the computer that can't connect and it starts with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx.... well this sucks to get rid of sometimes. If restarting your computer doesn't get rid of this address and get you an address from your router, try turning the cable around... a dumb trick that shouldn't make a difference but it works. (by turning the cable around I mean plug the end that is in the computer into the router and vice versa for the end that was in the router)
Closed Thread