Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Mouse poison

Anyone here know where I could get mouse poison that works? I've seen some but it's apparently illegal to sell it to someone who doesn't have a licence to use it such as a homeowner. I need some but don't have a licence to use it. Can I buy it legally somewhere?

I'm good at catching the varmints inside but I'm looking for something for outside to kill them before they get into the building.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 09-20-2017 at 05:10 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Is that a local by-law or something? I see Warafin for sale at Canadian Tire in Calgary every year.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/wi...1964p.html#srp
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Lead poisoning. Shoot them with a 12 gauge.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

By the way, burn it down is NOT the answer.

Prarie boy, I was told that by someone in the business. Maybe he just wants the business. P.s., what does your username mean?
Old 09-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

lol I found a mouse inside my place last week, thought I managed to get rid of him I saw him run behind a tiny hole at the back of the toilet, which I immediately blocked and made sure he couldn't get back in.

Flash back to last night, I notice on top of the fridge mouse droppings, today I bought 10 snap mouse traps, baiting as we speak, hope I murder him and/or his family too.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit to OP....
I'm good at catching the varmints inside but I'm looking for something for outside to kill them before they get into the building.

So, not the snap traps.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:18 PM   #7
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Won't you just attract them with it outside, bringing more to your doorstep? I don't think you should poison outside a building since anything could get into the bait. The poison takes days to kill them, so in that time they'll find a way inside anyhow.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #8
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Edit to OP....

So, not the snap traps.
Rat poison is usually anti-coagulant. It kills rats (or anything else that ingests) slowly. That means if you have mice, they can eat and then will die slowly and in a number of days can die anywhere. Then potentially have dead mice in your walls or elsewhere that you dont want rotting corpses.

Birds eat mice, so if a bird eats a mouse that ate your poison, you will likely kill that bird with your poison. Someones cat could also eat that poisoned mouse and get sick and die.

Bird or other wild animals or pets or even kids could directly eat the poison and get sick or die as well.

Your unlikely to kill all the mice with poison anyways, so the problem will continue. You need to find the source of the mice and get rid it and all the mice.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Get a cat, and just give it back when all the mice are gone.
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #10
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe we used the Wilsons Wilsarin bait stuff. It dehydrates them, so if they die in your walls or some other spot you can't reach them, they don't stink. I think it's even safe for other critters if they get a hold of it, but don't quote me on that. I just went to Canadian Tire and asked a guy and it was what he recommended, as we have a couple of dogs. Haven't seen a mouse since we used it. I did stick it out of the way, just in case, but the dogs have never even sniffed in the same area or tried to crawl in/under to get to it.

ETA: we only went this route after I couldn't catch them in the traps, which is really unusual because I've never had any issues doing away with them with the snap traps. This m-effer managed to set the traps off without getting caught, and I wanted it gone.

Last edited by Minnie; 09-20-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #11
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I highly suggest you use traps instead of poisoning everything around you.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #12
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Adopt a barn cat.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #13
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had reasonable success with traps outside for voles and mice this summer, caught probably close to 20 in the first few days and intermittent catches after that. It didn't totally eliminate them but seemed to get the population back to more normal levels. Often I didn't even need to bait the traps, just put them at their holes or along their tracks.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #14
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Rat poison is usually anti-coagulant. It kills rats (or anything else that ingests) slowly. That means if you have mice, they can eat and then will die slowly and in a number of days can die anywhere. Then potentially have dead mice in your walls or elsewhere that you dont want rotting corpses.

Birds eat mice, so if a bird eats a mouse that ate your poison, you will likely kill that bird with your poison. Someones cat could also eat that poisoned mouse and get sick and die.

Bird or other wild animals or pets or even kids could directly eat the poison and get sick or die as well.

Your unlikely to kill all the mice with poison anyways, so the problem will continue. You need to find the source of the mice and get rid it and all the mice.
I think they generally have to eat 10% of their body weight to die, so while it likely wouldn't make them feel good, it's unlikely anything/anybody is going to die unless they're eating dead mice by the pound.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #15
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My Dad used to make traps like this:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #16
Hammertime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No need for the water to drown them. Just let them kill each other and let the best mouse live.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #17
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
No need for the water to drown them. Just let them kill each other and let the best mouse live.
With little mice swords, axes, etc..
Old 09-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #18
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

In all seriousness, the mice outside our place disappeared once a mama skunk moved into the neighbours yard. That's right, the answer is to get a skunk to move into your neighbours yard.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #19
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post

Most rodenticides will have a listed LD50 Rating, which is the lethal dose required to kill 50% of a population; the higher the LD50 rating, the more needed to cause stomach upset/damage to "non-targets."

Good general rule of thumb is to trap inside, bait outside. For reasons also mentioned in this thread, you don't want it to eat the bait and then die in transit within your walls...then you're looking at cutting into the wall to remove it or to let it decompose on its own, which depending on air flow/temperature can be a slow and unpleasant smelling process.

Best bet is sealing off any accesses that you can find outside, and then bait outside. Here in the States Contrac Blox (Bell Labs) have been an industry standard for some time, but I don't know where you can get them north of the border. I'm sure you could find someone selling them online - but get a tamper-resistant box/station to keep it in so that other animals don't get curious.

Or, just call a pro. Rodent baiting programs are relatively inexpensive.
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #20
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
My Dad used to make traps like this:

Came to post this.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mouse , varmint , yuck