Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #281
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It appears that the "data analysis" was about the quality of this thread. As it appears to have only considered Canadian cities. There would be some debate about whether we are 2 or 1 in Canada. Outside of work visas there is no real reason to leave the IS.

This piece though is the type of piece you would write if you are using this bid process to advertise how awesome your city is for other business to relocate to
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:08 AM   #282
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
In the event we do get this I'm not sure Calgary has a sufficient enough supply of crow to be distributed to posters in this thread.
Let's pump the brakes a little until we have someone other than a member of the committee that Calgary Economic Development put together to promote the city's bid saying we are a top contender.

This akin to asking a mother if her daughter should be prom queen.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #283
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will step up and eat crow if hq2 lands here in calgary. I may even eat pubes if it lands anywhere in Canada...to me that article pointed out nothing new, with no hard data other than confirming we are close to the mountains
Old 09-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #284
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It appears that the "data analysis" was about the quality of this thread. As it appears to have only considered Canadian cities. There would be some debate about whether we are 2 or 1 in Canada. Outside of work visas there is no real reason to leave the IS.

This piece though is the type of piece you would write if you are using this bid process to advertise how awesome your city is for other business to relocate to
Assuming you meant 'U.S.', there is another pretty compelling reason to locate outside the U.S. Health care costs for the company would be way less as it would essentially fall on the shoulder of the taxpayer in Canada rather than the employer having to provide the plan for it's workers (assuming Amazon has a plan for employees). Yes there would be some costs but not full on insurance. For 50 000 workers that could add up significant saving.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 09-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #285
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
In the event we do get this I'm not sure Calgary has a sufficient enough supply of crow to be distributed to posters in this thread.
Next day delivery with Prime.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #286
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Assuming you meant 'U.S.', there is another pretty compelling reason to locate outside the U.S. Health care costs for the company would be way less as it would essentially fall on the shoulder of the taxpayer in Canada rather than the employer having to provide the plan for it's workers (assuming Amazon has a plan for employees). Yes there would be some costs but not full on insurance. For 50 000 workers that could add up significant saving.
Also Canada has a favourable exchange rate which means you can pay your employees less.

If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't locating in Canada also give better access to Canadian trading partners? We signed a trade deal with the e.u. so there could be some advantages in there.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #287
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't locating in Canada also give better access to Canadian trading partners? We signed a trade deal with the e.u. so there could be some advantages in there.
Only if you make/mine stuff in Canada. Plus, it already has an HQ for Europe in Luxembourg .

Last edited by accord1999; 09-21-2017 at 03:32 PM.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #288
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Also Canada has a favourable exchange rate which means you can pay your employees less.

immigration too. Trump has definitely thrown uncertainty in getting highly skilled foreign workers in the country.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #289
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also Calgary house prices are cheaper than Vancouver and Toronto and an ok public transit system. The crime rate is the lowest of the major cities in western Canada and has a lower tax rate than other provinces.

Lots of advantages in Calgary.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #290
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so for those of you that are thinking calgary has a shot at this are you envisioning HQ2 to be located downtown or some type of campus setup somewhere like quarry park?
Old 09-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #291
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
so for those of you that are thinking calgary has a shot at this are you envisioning HQ2 to be located downtown or some type of campus setup somewhere like quarry park?
My guess would be a DT campus eventually in the west village

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #292
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
My guess would be a DT campus eventually in the west village
That's my guess. There's an entire district waiting for them in the West Village, and it's right next to downtown (with train access to anywhere in the city). Amazon would be the PERFECT anchor in that spot.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #293
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
That's my guess. There's an entire district waiting for them in the West Village, and it's right next to downtown (with train access to anywhere in the city). Amazon would be the PERFECT anchor in that spot.
Plus they can package up and ship the creosote world-wide! Win/win here folks.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #294
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
I hope people from Tuscany, McKenzie Town and Falconridge complain relentlessly about how they don't want a huge campus in their backyard. Even though it's the West Village.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #295
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't there still the matter of creosote cleanup there? Wouldn't that be cost prohibitive?
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #296
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Isn't there still the matter of creosote cleanup there? Wouldn't that be cost prohibitive?
Not if a CRL funds the infrastructure and clean up. I think it was about 100 million for clean up plus 300 million in infrastructure.

The issue will be how much of a property tax discount you have to give to attract Amazon and if given the size of the CRL that doesn't leave enough money to do all of the infrastructure.

The good news is you aren't spending 800 million on a building that generates no tax so the numbers at a minimum work out better than CalgaryNext.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #297
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who cares!

They just need a Powerpoint. Call it:

AmazonNEXT
Work | Work | Work
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #298
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

is there enough physical space for amazon in that area?
Old 09-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #299
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
is there enough physical space for amazon in that area?
Probably not.

The other issue is that it's already got residential space and all the associated trappings, so you wouldn't be able to leverage it the way you could if it was in the middle of nowhere. Put it somewhere barren and unpopulated, and you also get to build 20 apartment towers around it, two safeways, a home depot, etc etc etc.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #300
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That creosote has to get cleaned up one way or another. We can't just keep putting it off. Moving an Amazon campus into the West Village is the perfect reason to pull the trigger on that cleanup.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post: