Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Puerto Rico

Does anyone have travel advice for Puerto Rico? It's not somewhere I had ever considered, but I'm travelling with a friend who has been obsessed with it for years, so it's on the short list.

I've been looking around online and it seems like maybe it does have some nice beaches (for some reason I thought it wasn't great for beaches) and Old San Juan looks interesting. Is there a way to combine the two without moving hotels mid-stay? I'd rather stay somewhere at the beach, so we can have relaxing beach days and then go to Old San Juan (or other areas) for a day trip.

My favourite Caribbean destination is Barbados, but if I can have a nice beach and some interesting activities occasionally, I'm happy to try a different island.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old San Juan is super scammy. Neat to walk around, but watch your stuff. Our waiter helped himself to a massive tip by changing the slip, my wife's card got skimmed at another store and rang up for a few grand, almost got pick pocketed a few times and parking "assistance" pretend they own the spots and try to charge you for parking everywhere. Hint, they don't own the spots, they just want your money. I've been to plenty of sketchy countries, San Juan always stands out as, well ,not unsafe, just super scammy.

We rented a car and spent a few days. Went up to the rain forest which was pretty nice for hiking. Never did the beaches there. We were in transit to the BVI's so it was roe of a stopover.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can get to it, Isla Caja de Muertos is totally amazing. It has unique flora and fauna and amazing beaches. It's probably the only thing I liked about Puerto Rico.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been told that native Puerto rican males like both pirates and non-pirates booty - if you get my drift
Old 08-29-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I enjoyed Puerto Rico. No pickpocket/scammy issues for me. US dollars and plenty of English speakers made it relatively simple to get around. We stayed at the beach which was absolutely gorgeous. Took the bus into Old San Juan on a few occasions as it was straightforward and cheap. The town and the old fort are pretty neat (but hot when you are away from the ocean breeze).
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excellent board game. Definitely recommend picking it up.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:50 PM   #7
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I enjoyed Puerto Rico. No pickpocket/scammy issues for me. US dollars and plenty of English speakers made it relatively simple to get around. We stayed at the beach which was absolutely gorgeous. Took the bus into Old San Juan on a few occasions as it was straightforward and cheap. The town and the old fort are pretty neat (but hot when you are away from the ocean breeze).
What beach area did you stay at?
Old 08-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #8
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Excellent board game. Definitely recommend picking it up.
But the "colonists" are slaves!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, they're colonists. It's been retconned. Just trust me on this.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #10
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
What beach area did you stay at?
We stayed at a VRBO place on Isla Verde beach. Basically between the airport and the old town. Probably a 30 minute bus ride to Old San Juan, but really not all that far.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
We stayed at a VRBO place on Isla Verde beach. Basically between the airport and the old town. Probably a 30 minute bus ride to Old San Juan, but really not all that far.
Okay, that's great. I was actually looking at somewhere on Isla Verde.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #12
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Okay, that's great. I was actually looking at somewhere on Isla Verde.
Terrific. We were there 2 summers ago. Lots of hotels in the area and we stayed in a VRBO. Beach was really beautiful and the city there is just that, a city. Not overly exciting, but not far from the more interesting historical stuff.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #13
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

There are some caves on the sw corner of the island, the aricebo satellite is there and you can surf in Rincon/aguadilla area.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 01:47 PM   #14
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Condado is a good beach, lots of hotels along it, and a bus ride from OSJ.
billybob123 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #15
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I asked my friend who is from PR originally, and who still has property and family there, and this is what she recommended:

Quote:
If you are looking to stay right between beaches and Old San Juan, then the Caribe Hilton is your best bet. It has a wonderful, small, private beach, and is walking distance to OSJ (or about a $10 cab ride). It also has several pools, etc.

Also good for beaches and close to OSJ is the Condado area. There, you will find a variety of hotels, from Marriott to the ooh la la Vanderbilt to Holiday Inn to boutique hotels like The Olive. None of those are walking distance, but just a quick cab ride from OSJ, and all are either on the beach or have beach access.

The other option is Isla Verde. That is closer to the airport, about 30 minutes to OSJ (traffic varies) by cab. Lots of hotels there, almost all beachfront. Everything from Ritz Carlton to El San Juan to InterContinental to Wyndham. Lots of different price points. Even those not on the beach have beach access.

Finally, if you want something more resorts, there is El Conquistador in Fajardo (about an hour to an hour and a half from San Juan, depending on traffic). And the Bahia Beach resort, about the same distance. Absolutely gorgeous.

ETA: she recommends the following as things you may want to check out/see:

Parque Las Cavernas del Rio Camuy – Camuy River Cave Park

Guanica Dry Forest

Culebra beaches

Last edited by Minnie; 08-30-2017 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add links
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #16
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks Minnie (and your friend!) for all the detailed suggestions!
Old 09-20-2017, 07:22 AM   #17
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

When are you going? Watching my friend's FB updates and it sure sounds like they're getting absolutely pummeled in PR by the hurricane.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:39 PM   #18
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
When are you going? Watching my friend's FB updates and it sure sounds like they're getting absolutely pummeled in PR by the hurricane.
Actually, I'm not going at this time. I wanted to find out more about it because my friend was really interested, but with the recent hurricane activity, it has been taken off the list for the time being. I hope everything is okay for your friend's family.