Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default 700Mhz spectrum auction

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/03/07/ca...ng-agreements/
Nice to finally have a date, they've been talking about this wireless auction for what seems like over two years now.

Quote:
Industry Minister, Christian Paradis, held a press conference early this morning to outline the series of events that will lead up to a November 19th auction for the highly-coveted 700Mhz spectrum. Already in use in the United States, the 700Mhz band will facilitate wireless signals that more easily penetrate walls and deliver faster speeds in rural areas.
The speed of LTE is great but I'm more excited for this spectrum because of it's ability to reach longer and further.

Quote:
Citing renewed need for a competitive marketplace, Paradis ensured that all Canadian provinces will have at least four companies for customers to choose from. Similarly, at least four companies per region will be able to bid on the sought-after spectrum in November thanks to new rules around foreign investment.
So... basically Telus, Rogers, Bell and one new entrant?

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 09-18-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: updated auction date
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

So - as I understand it there are several "channels" within the 700Mhz band, so multiple carriers will have a piece of this. Is that right?

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Crappy for us using pro audio wireless gear in the 700 band. Most have been phased out already due to the states. Time to upgrade I guess.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weren't they hoping to save some of this spectrum for first responders radios and what not?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Go Wind go!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I wouldn't be so sure that Wind is going to purchase anything.

They can push LTE over their AWS spectrum, similar to what T-Mobile is doing in the States.

700mhz LTE allows carriers to push LTE to rural people at a much cheaper price, not to mention the obvious benefit of doing setting it up in urban areas for a lower price.

The problem Wind has is financial difficulty, and the constant pressure to remain the cheapest.

Their mother company is having money issues too, IIRC.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Go Wind go!
Yeah, same with me. I really don't give a crap about LTE for the speeds but this band of LTE has the ability to go further, is more reliable, and has the ability to penetrate walls that other signals can't.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

The wall penetration thing is big for me, as I live in a concrete box.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Why not just buy a cell phone repeater? They are cheap enough for the home. $300 will buy you something good.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #10
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Why not just buy a cell phone repeater? They are cheap enough for the home. $300 will buy you something good.
I've been trying to get a response from them as to whether I can expect reception to improve, but failing that a cell phone repeater is a good option. At the price differential between Wind and anyone else, a $300 repeater pays for itself in a year. I suppose I could buy one and just re-sell it if it turns out I don't need it later.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

So you're on one of the big 3 right now? If you watch Kijijii, you can find a great deal on cell repeaters from people who are selling them.

I picked up a repeater for $50. Cheap Chinese made, and made my own Yagi Antenna to do 850mhz. Works great. 5 bars service in the house.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The first of many big days for the 700Mhz auction is tomorrow!

September 17th is when companies have to submit their deposit to participate in this big LTE auction.

Wind Mobile confirmed with Mobilesyrup.com today that they will be involved!
http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/09/16/wi...0-subscribers/
Quote:
In an email to us they stated that “WIND Mobile would like to announce its intention to enter the 700 Mhz auction. We have long maintained that there is a dire need for additional wireless spectrum in Canada to ensure the long-term success of any independent wireless provider. WIND Mobile has grown into Canada’s fourth national carrier, with over 650,000 subscribers, and we have no intention of stopping now. We would like to take this opportunity to reaffirm our long-term commitment to Canada and we look forward to bringing true mobile freedom to more Canadians.”
No word from Mobilicity... and it will be interesting to see which (if any) foreign companies make a deposit. Rumours of Videophone from the UK were surfacing last week.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Wind makes a play and wins two blocks at least. It'll help them make a huge step towards a national network and and help Canadians stick it to the robellus quickest. Any foreign companies and startups will take years longer before they start utilizing the spectrum.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

The faster Wind gets 700mhz LTE deployed, the faster they'll increase their userbase.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Hopefully Wind makes a play and wins two blocks at least. It'll help them make a huge step towards a national network and and help Canadians stick it to the robellus quickest. Any foreign companies and startups will take years longer before they start utilizing the spectrum.
Yeah, for obvious reasons I'm really hoping Wind makes a huge splash come January. From what I've read (but I'm foggy to the details) this band of LTE should be fairly easy to roll out. It will instantly improve Wind's network. The signal is super strong, can penetrate deep walls (something AWS has struggled with) and for those that care... is LTE so it's fast fast fast.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

And it also means they can add more cities faster. Like Winnipeg, and then even smaller cities like Lethbridge and Portage.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Yeah, for obvious reasons I'm really hoping Wind makes a huge splash come January. From what I've read (but I'm foggy to the details) this band of LTE should be fairly easy to roll out. It will instantly improve Wind's network. The signal is super strong, can penetrate deep walls (something AWS has struggled with) and for those that care... is LTE so it's fast fast fast.
Bad thing is there aren't many 700Mhz LTE phones out at the moment and existing smart phones (with the exception of the Xperia Z, iphone 5 and a couple of others IIRC) will not be able to utilize the network. Though I guess by the time the network is actually stood up and ready most people will have upgraded to a more capable phone.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #18
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

yup, go wind go for sure!

If wind can get LTE, i'd be a pretty happy camper.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #19
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The deadline just passed so I wonder if/when we'll start hearing about which companies put up their deposit to participate. Really interested to see if Mobilicity will give it a go (doubt it) and which foreign companies from which markets seem interested.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #20
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf10584.html
Answered my own question.
Quote:
Publication of the list of applicants, beneficial ownership and associated entities information
September 23, 2013