Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was able to beat the game last week before it came out, and here are my thoughts.

-Great graphics...at some points. Even with 2 player coop, the game would lag or get choppy. Other parts in the game had some pretty crappy graphics. However, the cut scenes and ''majestic'' looking scenery really are a sight to behold.
-Would be nice if they had more weapons. While there are some pretty cool guns in this game, for the most part they have been overused.
-I like the variety of enemies, much better then in the other games.
-Game is challenging on legendary mode...but as soon as you play coop with another player, it becomes way easier.

All in all, its a great game. But I think its a tad overrated. The game is scoring nearly perfect scores in most reviews, but I just don't see the hype for all of it. I've played the Halo series religiously since its inception, but IMO there are other FPS that deserve better scores then this. While the game is fun, the environments, vehicles, and weapons seem to have been rehashed from previous installments. Don't get me wrong, I think its a fun game. But IMO it doesn't deserve the high scores that it's gotten.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #22
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be interested to hear what FPS games you would score higher than Halo 4...
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I'd be interested to hear what FPS games you would score higher than Halo 4...
In reality possibly Half Life 2 and then.................nothing. A lot of people are reluctant to give Halo it's credit for greatest FPS franchise of all time but it is.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #24
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ok boys, homework was completed, let's Halo for 6 hours.

We should get a big team slayer group together.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #25
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
In reality possibly Half Life 2 and then.................nothing. A lot of people are reluctant to give Halo it's credit for greatest FPS franchise of all time but it is.
Yep.

100% agreed. The Half life series is still the absolute benchmark for me as well. I really hope we see HL2 Ep3, or HL3, or HL3 Ep1.... whatever the heck they are gonna call in, in my lifetime.

Looooooong overdue.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #26
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The perks at working at a restaurant that sells lots of pop: I now have 84 double XP games available.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Justin 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #27
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Halo or Assassin's Creed 3?
Never played Halo (crazy, I know). Want a game for this aft. I don't really play online.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #28
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
The perks at working at a restaurant that sells lots of pop: I now have 84 double XP games available.
Want to get me one?
JurassicTunga12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
Want to get me one?
Sorry I can't. We had 12 cases and I used them all. Probably won't get any more for 2-3 weeks.

The promotion last for nearly 3 more months though so I'll probably max my account out (limit is 200). Though I may share if I'm feeling nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Justin 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #30
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The orgasmic pleasure of Halo multiplayer has fiercely resurrected itself in my life. I don't think I've played this much of it since the Halo 2 days, but all it takes is a few like-minded blokes, some time to kill, and the next thing you know it's 4am...
Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #31
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Surprised by the lack of talk over this game.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #32
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got this game for my birthday! Holy crap, this is amazing!

The added sprint button is great. The guns, the loadouts, everything.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #33
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Surprised by the lack of talk over this game.
We certainly enjoyed it and sales numbers look pretty good - but the new Black Ops is also just out now. Perhaps that has distracted some potential players/buyers of the game.

(In before the "COD vs Halo" silly epeen wars ala the Apple vs Android thread.)
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #34
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Bought both COD:BO2 and Halo 4...both great games and enjoying both quite a bit. I don't understand the hate COD gets though, while Halo gets a free pass.

Halo is far from revolutionary and a very similar game in 1, 2, 3, 4 and Reach.

Halo 4 is a great continuation of the series though.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #35
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
I don't understand the hate COD gets though, while Halo gets a free pass.
Hate to go back to the fanboy thing but you tend to get hate when you lead a market/make tons of money. I think they nearly cleared a billion dollars after just over a week last time. Be it COD, Nickelback, Apple, XBOX, PS3, Twilight, whatever - people will inevitably play the following cards/names with disdain:

"Catering to casuals, selling out, blind sheep, morons, who the frak lines up for this piece of garbage, get a life, etc."

To be fair, the professional reviews have been almost universally VERY positive.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #36
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All FPS games really do cater to causal. It is a genre where you basically have to know how to pull the RT. There is skill in versus I suppose but generally the FPS genre is a casual genre. I'm doubting the casual gamer picks up X-Com or an RPG.

I will always prefer halo over cod, just enjoy it more. I find cod is just more for multi player.

I personally haven't found much different in any COD game. I enjoy story over multi player in any game I play. But to be fair I am kinda getting sick of every other game being an FPS.

Last edited by miraisoup; 11-13-2012 at 04:24 PM.
miraisoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #37
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Bought both COD:BO2 and Halo 4...both great games and enjoying both quite a bit. I don't understand the hate COD gets though, while Halo gets a free pass.

Halo is far from revolutionary and a very similar game in 1, 2, 3, 4 and Reach.

Halo 4 is a great continuation of the series though.
How many Halo games have been released in the past ten years? Five? Halos 1-4 plus Reach?

How many CoD games have been released in the past five years? Six. CoD MW, MW2, MW3, W@W, B.O. and B.O.2.

The disdain people hold is because they make the games shorter and shorter and release them more often (which is the point of episodic gaming) but still charge $60-70 for them without any improvement in graphics or gameplay.

I don't care either way but I understand where they're coming from. They're milking the franchise for all it's worth.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #38
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
How many Halo games have been released in the past ten years? Five? Halos 1-4 plus Reach?

How many CoD games have been released in the past five years? Six. CoD MW, MW2, MW3, W@W, B.O. and B.O.2.

The disdain people hold is because they make the games shorter and shorter and release them more often (which is the point of episodic gaming) but still charge $60-70 for them without any improvement in graphics or gameplay.

I don't care either way but I understand where they're coming from. They're milking the franchise for all it's worth.
I get what your saying, but in truth, there has been more then 5.

Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, Halo Wars, Halo Reach, Halo 4. (And soon to be halo 5 & 6 as part of the reclaimer trilogy)

Now I love Halo games, but besides ODST and wars, none of the games are that different. ODST was also released at full price and was basically an expansion pack.

Now with COD you get 1, 2, 3 and world at war (all WW2) then COD: Modern warfare warfare 1,2,3 and Black Ops 1/2, which I will admit is quite a few games, but it does move around quite a few time lines (WW2, Vietnam, Cold War)

Anyway, not really sure about the point besides the fact that enjoying COD seems to be some terrible thing, while enjoying Halo is par for the course.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #39
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could certainly make the same argument for Madden, NHL, and the sports games. Heck, I guess you can say that sports in general do that every year but that's a whole different discussion.

The market/customers seem to continue to buy into it though - in bigger and bigger numbers (even while overall spending in the market seems to be slowing significantly versus previous years).

Now, the guitar hero/musical instrument game genre was definitely milked til the market collapsed.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #40
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Call of Duty is a dogsh** series, get that garbage out of the Halo thread.

Call me when it's 2007 so I can play Modern Warfare 1 if you guys are going to talk CoD.

Tags
halo 4