Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #21
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I find it a bit strange that one of the big 3 can't give the city of Calgary a better deal than that.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
How is their data? The guy at future shop told me not to get it, it's really slow.
I just ran a speedtest, 120ms ping, 4.9 mbps down, 3.3 up (from home, W. Hillhurst area). I've had as high as 5 down, and as low as 500 kbps down. Depends on traffic.

I have zero complaints on Wind. I have yet to find a dead zone in Calgary or Ottawa. That being said, I live and work in the inner city. A friend living in West Hills/Springbank lives in a dead zone and has to walk 5 min from home to make calls.

I'm on the 2011 hmp so my $40 gets unlimited everything. Now, their $40 gives unlimited data, Canada LD, text, but no VM, though a promo on now is free VM.

Their roaming rates are similar to what a paygo plan from the Big Three is - 20 cents a min from Can/US, 15 cents per text. NEVER ROAM ON DATA. It's obscene. I have data roaming disabled but a glitch on my phone still lets it roam to Home Away, so I installed Data Controller. Works like a charm.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #23
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Does anyone know if an unlocked HTC Incredible S works on Wind?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #24
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We're in signal hill and right in a dead spot. The wife still uses it as her cell line. It's fine pretty much everywhere else in the city.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #25
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Anyone know if an unlocked iphone would work on their network?

I pay $300-$500 a month on rogers, and can't wait to GTFO. From the sounds of it, even if I was roaming on to another network with the max Wind plan, I'm still ahead.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even though I'm locked in a 3 year contract with Fido, I hope Wind takes off and shows up all the other carriers. Their plans are such a bargain compared to the crappy big 3. Too bad my house is out of the Wind zone.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #27
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post

I pay $300-$500 a month on rogers, and can't wait to GTFO. From the sounds of it, even if I was roaming on to another network with the max Wind plan, I'm still ahead.
I looked into this. NO you can't use an unlocked iPhone

Question

Do you have the iPhone? Do you have the Google Nexus S?

Answer

We do not have the iPhone. Apple’s current iPhone is not compatible with the WIND network (AWS/1700 Megahertz/BandIV). When we hear an AWS iPhone is in the works, believe us, we'll be knocking Apple's door to get the scoop!

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #28
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

I freaking hate the wind we've had lately. Thankfully they're starting construction on the houses across the lane, so it should provide some relief.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #29
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Got a wind phone in September, the week after I got it I spent 2 days in Montana and raked up over $200 in data roaming fees (without using the phone).
I've since turned off the data roaming and as others have said the bill is what they advertise. Every month.
Data is pretty good, I watched the entire series of Firefly on Netflix last week with no problems.
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #30
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

YYCinLAX has the correct answer, but to expand on it a little... most of the information that the next gen of iphones will support AWS is coming from T-Mobile, who are losing a lot of subscribers because they don't have iphones. So
those quotes need to be taken with a grain of salt, because that could be just T-Mobile trying to give people a reason to stick with them.

However, both Verizon and AT&T have been buying up AWS spectrum as part of their LTE networks, and so will likely require that the iphone support AWS, so that's good news.

The other possibility of iphones on Wind is if they buy up additional spectrum in the next spectrum auction, which will be in 2013. However, right now they're saying that they're going to boycott the auction, because they feel it still favours the established carriers. However, Mobilicity is planning to bid aggressively in the upcoming auction, and I can't imagine Wind simply choosing not to compete.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #31
GoFlamesGo89
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
YYCinLAX has the correct answer, but to expand on it a little... most of the information that the next gen of iphones will support AWS is coming from T-Mobile, who are losing a lot of subscribers because they don't have iphones. So
those quotes need to be taken with a grain of salt, because that could be just T-Mobile trying to give people a reason to stick with them.

However, both Verizon and AT&T have been buying up AWS spectrum as part of their LTE networks, and so will likely require that the iphone support AWS, so that's good news.
The opposite is also true, T-Mobile will be rolling out 4G/LTE service so their network will be backwards compatible with existing iphones.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/07/t-mobi...y-end-of-2012/
GoFlamesGo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #32
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Switched over about a year ago and love it. $29/month for unlimited everything makes up for any dead spots they may have.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #33
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like to pass wind.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #34
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

wind is too windy
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #35
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:

WTF?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #36
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks for all the input here. I will probably be making the switch to Wind tomorrow and get the Nexus.
SeoulFire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeoulFire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #37
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Holy crap. the galaxy s3 is being released today.
looks pretty damn impressive.

4.8 inches with a quad core cpu and gorilla glass. Thinner and lighter than an iphone 4s.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #38
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's a thread on the Galaxy S3. It's already been released in Europe and I didn't think it was being released in North America until June 20th at the earliest... where are you seeing this?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #39
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not android, or anything but iPhone savvy guy here.

I'm thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy (not the latest, the 4GS whatever it's called....been out for a while) for my daughter. I've had her on Wind for a good year and a half or so on a cheap little Samsung with the $25 plan. It seems to work well for a teenager, although she complains of dead spots here and there.

Anyway, my question is would the $25 plan still be a good idea with this phone? I mean, can I disable data functions on it so that she's not racking up a bunch of $$ away from wifi at home? I think it'd be nice to have the phone for her, and keep the $25 plan without jumping to $40. Advice appreciated.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #40
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

when i think that i have to negotiate and argue for a 50 dollar plan with 500 megs of data, 500 minutes of day time with unlimited evenings/weekends, and only 2500 outgoing texts (not unlimited) with 1000 mins of LD it makes me want to cancel my account.

1 more year of a contract and im done with these crooks. doesnt matter telus bell or rogers. its embarrassing how they are raping me and everyone else.
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote