Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #1
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Connecting to YYC from a US destination through Vancouver

Looking for some guidance here. I usually fly direct, but the direct flight back to Calgary from Seattle is ridiculous for some reason this time around. There is a quick flight to Vancouver from Seattle then on to Calgary that would save me close to $1000.

Can anyone tell me about the customs process in Vancouver? I'm assuming I would have to clear customs, collect my luggage, then go through security again domestically. I have 1.5 hours between flights. Does that give me enough time or am I pushing it?

Any help would be appreciated.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:51 PM   #2
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

An hour and a half should be enough assuming there are no delays. But yes, you're correct. You clear Canadian customs with your luggage, then you will have to go through screening again before heading to your domestic gate.

Any delay from Seattle to Vancouver and you're missing your flight, most likely. Luckily there are a ton of YVR-YYC flights so they'll just bump you to the next one as long as it's all on the same reservation and you missed it due to a delay.

Personally I will give up the convenience of direct flights to save a bunch of money. I don't mind air travel at all and I'm usually patient and don't mind a bit of extra time to get home if it means I can afford to take an extra trip every year!

I also have NEXUS so I don't have to worry about lines... Best $50 I've ever spent.

Last edited by malcolmk14; 09-20-2017 at 08:53 PM.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nexus blows, totally overrated. Don't get it.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #4
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Looking for some guidance here. I usually fly direct, but the direct flight back to Calgary from Seattle is ridiculous for some reason this time around. There is a quick flight to Vancouver from Seattle then on to Calgary that would save me close to $1000.

Can anyone tell me about the customs process in Vancouver? I'm assuming I would have to clear customs, collect my luggage, then go through security again domestically. I have 1.5 hours between flights. Does that give me enough time or am I pushing it?

You got it right. Visit CBSA, pick up your luggage, drop off your luggage and go through screening. I think 90 minutes should be okay but it seems kind of tight. I've only done that process once but I didn't have any luggage and had a 4 or 5 hour layover so that I could visit a friend during that time and have lunch.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I see Westjet has a 2 hour 14 minute layover. That should get us through I think.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've connected in Vancouver in 30 mins. No issues.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

More then enough time. Vancouver customs is usually very good.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #8
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I've connected in Vancouver in 30 mins. No issues.
I did that once.

Next time it took me 2.5 hours.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #9
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
More then enough time. Vancouver customs is usually very good.
Unless they're filming for an episode of Border Security! Prepare to miss your flight if so!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:40 PM   #10
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post

I don't know about all the time, but Vancouver will create a shortcut line for people who have connecting flights from the US. The shortcut line doesn't have to go through domestic security so it's pretty great.

The one drawback is that you can't do NEXUS there so if you have NEXUS, you'll have to fill out the customs card when you normally don't expect you have to.

But the line is short. if you go the NEXUS way you have to go back in through domestic security.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #11
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I fly through Vancouver quite a bit and don't think it's ever taken me more than 45 minutes to get through domestic security. I think you'll be fine.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:39 AM   #12
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
I did that once.

Next time it took me 2.5 hours.
I've done it many times in the 30-40 minute time frame. There are tones of flights from Vancouver to Calgary. The last thing I would be doing is booking a 1.5 hour+ layover in Vancouver.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #13
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My experience has been that its more of an issue on the way out of Canada. They squeeze you into a permanent-temporary part(no Nexus as well) of the Vancouver airport to go through US customs on the outbound flight.

The direct flights from Calgary are much more pleasant and you save a lot of time.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #14
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I've done it many times in the 30-40 minute time frame. There are tones of flights from Vancouver to Calgary. The last thing I would be doing is booking a 1.5 hour+ layover in Vancouver.
Oh for sure. That was a one-off. It just surprised me since I'm so used to getting through that one in under an hour.

Although that being said I don't book anything under a 90 minute layover anyway, unless it's something like between Van/Vic.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #15
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

In 2012 I flew from Hawaii to Vancouver then to Calgary. I remember having to get luggage and go through customs and security again. I also remember having to walk for days from flight to luggage and from luggage to security, and then again from security to departure gate. So, make sure your flight from Vancouver is well after your flight into Vancouver.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #16
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I have many issues with the city of Vancouver, but their airport isn't one of them. Flown in and out many times for international connections and never had an issue. It's also probably the nicest airport in the country and far better than any one I've been to in the US
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #17
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just did this a couple of weeks ago. Had a 1:15 layover in Vancouver, but my flight into Vancouver was delayed by 50 minutes. As soon as I landed in Vancouver and turned on my phone, I had an email from Air Canada that I was going to miss my connection, and I had automatically been booked on the next flight.

I figured I'd haul ass to see if I could still make my original flight. Jumped off the plane, went through customs, then through domestic security, ran to the next gate, and was actually able to get on the original flight to Calgary 25 minutes later.

It probably would have taken a fair bit longer if I didn't have NEXUS, but over an hour layover is enough if your original flight doesn't get delayed.
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote