Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #61
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thank you for the detailed response! I'm looking for an HTPC for the garage so looks like the kangaroo will be for me
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:33 AM   #62
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Thank you for the detailed response! I'm looking for an HTPC for the garage so looks like the kangaroo will be for me
Interesting.
Linux is the usual choice for small form HTPC's, (quite possibly mostly because it takes the fewest resources) and this one might have the guts to use something else. There are audio issues with Linux on this box, so far, so Windows 10 (that it ships with) is likely the right answer.
Keep us posted!
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #63
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
No worries. I actually researched the Pi vs Kangaroo for my own uses.

The Kangaroo has pretty much identical computing hardware as the base model Surface 3 tablet. So if you want to get an idea of how Windows will perform on that hardware you could hop on down to Best Buy or Microsoft store and play with a Surface 3.

Also a common complaint with the Kangaroo as an HTPC is it has no physical audio out besides via HDMI . If you are just planning on hooking it up to a TV and using the TV's speakers it shouldn't be a problem.

If you want to use headphones, then you are pretty much stuck using bluetooth headphones. If you want to use some external speakers connected directly to the Kangaroo, you are stuck using USB speakers.

Apparently the latest Kangaroo dock concept shown at CES has a 3.5mm audio jack, but who knows if and when that will be released.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:58 AM   #64
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Memory Express NE store has the pi3 in stock for $59.99

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX61461

Pretty decent deal if you want one today and no shipping cost.

They also have the starter kit which includes power supply, case, and pre-loaded sd card for $89.99

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX61462
Old 06-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #65
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Indes how did you make out with this? I'm looking to do an HTPC and was considering the Pi. I have 2 Roku's now so I want something that can do both Kodi and Plex as I want to keep the Roku's. Looks like there is a PlexBMC add on that might work.

Anyone use a Pi with OpenELEC and/or used PlexBMC?
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #66
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Openelec works great on the Pi2. I expect it would be excellent on the Pi3. I actually tried both Openelec and OSMC, and went with OSMC instead, but that pretty much comes down to personal preference only.

I have never tried Plexbmc, but it is my understanding that it works good. Here is a link with some good info regarding plex integration through Kodi using Plexbmc. Amber is a great skin for the Pi, and integrates Plexbmc very nicely.

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-and...plexbmc-addon/

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 11:19 PM   #67
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bumping an old thread for a boost with my home project.

I got a CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Ultimate Start Kit 32 GB Edition.

My goal would be to have this plugged into my bedroom for the following features, as simple as possible, with no swapping SD cards or anything:
- Netflix/Crave/etc.
- Media playing that recognizes my wireless NAS for movies
- Emulators that can play off of files from the NAS (or SD if necessary)
- Streaming Steam games via Moonlight from my desktop

Is this all possible at once or am I going to fiddle around with multiple configurations?

I'm pretty techsavvy, but new to the Pi and a bit overwhelmed, especially with very limited personal time nowadays. Any starting recommendations or answers is appreciated!
TSXCman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #68
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I tried getting Netflix working on the Raspberry Pi 2 about a year, year and a half ago but finally gave up. There are a few sites that show you how to set it up but none worked for me. I had previously set up Plex on it and now I've got Kodi set up on it with Private Internet Access vpn. Haven't used it in ages though.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:18 PM   #69
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Bumping an old thread for a boost with my home project.

I got a CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Ultimate Start Kit 32 GB Edition.

My goal would be to have this plugged into my bedroom for the following features, as simple as possible, with no swapping SD cards or anything:
- Netflix/Crave/etc.
- Media playing that recognizes my wireless NAS for movies
- Emulators that can play off of files from the NAS (or SD if necessary)
- Streaming Steam games via Moonlight from my desktop

Is this all possible at once or am I going to fiddle around with multiple configurations?

I'm pretty techsavvy, but new to the Pi and a bit overwhelmed, especially with very limited personal time nowadays. Any starting recommendations or answers is appreciated!
You could do it all, but generally you'd have different OS's for different purposes - one for a media centre, one for a game centre, etc.

But this is doable for sure. I'd suggest getting a mouse/keyboard interface.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #70
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump of an old but still relevant thread.

I have recently become interested in the RPi and I have a number of uses in mind.

Can anyone comment on how their experiences are now? Do you routinely update the OS or the applications that you are running?

Did it turn out to be a hobby project or is the RPi now a key part of your home computing environment?

Thanks to all - a very informative thread!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:13 AM   #71
leah12
Draft Pick

I've been looking to buy an emulator to play NES and SNES games. I searched kijiji and there's a bunch of stuff on there, but I met someone tonight who advised me that I'd have to buy the raspberry pi 3 kit, a 128GB SD card, and a wireless controller, plus pay him to program the device with the old school games. He advised me to buy this instead:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX64890

It is pricey, but apparently much more capable of playing playstation and n64 games, and it comes with a wireless controller. I wouldn't have to buy the 128GB card either as it comes with a 500GB hard drive. Does anyone on here have any advice for me? Is it worth it? Many thanks.
leah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:35 AM   #72
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah12 View Post
I've been looking to buy an emulator to play NES and SNES games. I searched kijiji and there's a bunch of stuff on there, but I met someone tonight who advised me that I'd have to buy the raspberry pi 3 kit, a 128GB SD card, and a wireless controller, plus pay him to program the device with the old school games. He advised me to buy this instead:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX64890

It is pricey, but apparently much more capable of playing playstation and n64 games, and it comes with a wireless controller. I wouldn't have to buy the 128GB card either as it comes with a 500GB hard drive. Does anyone on here have any advice for me? Is it worth it? Many thanks.
Some good info about Canakit and Retropi in here
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=158661
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 05-30-2017, 10:08 PM   #73
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I received delivery of my Pi 3 board and accessories about two days ago, its been a (fun, sometimes) challenge getting things working. I bought a Canakit 3 and a eleduino 7" screen, and some retro controllers and a cool case for the pi. Some of the controllers are difficult to set up, bluetooth is dodgy so far, wifi works well.

I was choosing between buying these various components and a nintendo switch. Having played with the switch, I thought I'd get more enjoyment out of the Pi. The new mario kart and zelda aren't enough for me to justify the switch at the moment. And I love tinkering with things, and I love old games from the nes, snes, n64, dreamcast, mame (especially) etc.

Its a lot of work to figure things out, so lots of tinkering. I'm still having problems getting a bluetooth speaker to work with retropi, and in general am having a lot of problems figuring out how to get controllers to work cleanly. Overall, its not anywhere near to a plug and play experience but I'm getting through it.

This is very much a hobby project, it is not for everyone. Next step is to get Kodi running.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #74
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I am now fully up and running with Retropi, Kodi, and NOOBS.

If anyone dives into this and needs some help let me know.

I have curated a list of games from Mame, SNES, NES, and Sega Genesis which work great on the Pi and give a little over 1000 games to play without making the lists too large to sort through. And I'm happy to share.

I have had no luck getting the Dreamcast working, and tried the N64 but the Pi 3 just seems underpowered for that other than SMB64.

Last edited by Kjesse; 06-06-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 06:44 AM   #75
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you swap micro cards for the O/S and apps, or are you running them dual boot, or can you swap apps on the fly? Thanks!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #76
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ there are links earlier in this thread to triple and quad boot images.
I used one to load retropie, Kodi and Raspian. You can navigate seamlessly through any one of the environments.
I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but there isn't any easier way.
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 10-02-2017, 07:58 AM   #77
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

An interesting add-on for the Raspberry PI 3 is now on pre-order at some stores.

Google AIY Voice Kit

https://aiyprojects.withgoogle.com/v...oject-overview

I am seeing the kit for less than $40 CAD for pre-order on pi supply. You of course can just download the SDK and use your own hardware.

Add Google Assistant with voice recognition to your Pi 3

Quote:
This project demonstrates how to get a natural language recognizer up and running and connect it to the Google Assistant, using your AIY Projects voice kit. Along with everything the Google Assistant already does, you can add your own question and answer pairs. All in a handy little cardboard cube, powered by a Raspberry Pi.

Don’t own a kit? You can also integrate the Google Assistant into your own hardware by following the official Google Assistant SDK guides, or you can read below for links to purchase the AIY kit.

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-02-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #78
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just picked one up off of some guy from Kijiji for NES/SNES games. Loving this thing. Any advice on

a) How the heck do I go about adding/removing games (will happily pay any of you)?
b) Recommendation on a good set of controllers to buy. The ones that came with it are terrible knockoffs of SNES ones with bad feel and button response.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #79
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Just picked one up off of some guy from Kijiji for NES/SNES games. Loving this thing. Any advice on

a) How the heck do I go about adding/removing games (will happily pay any of you)?
b) Recommendation on a good set of controllers to buy. The ones that came with it are terrible knockoffs of SNES ones with bad feel and button response.
So I'm guessing you bought it from the guy already setup, do you know if it's running RetroPie? It's very likely it is if you're not sure, and if that's the case you should be able to hook it up to a wifi network in the menu if it's on a Pi 3. Then you access the \\retropie file share from your computer and drop the games there. You can also add games to a USB stick, this page details how to have it autorecognize and pull games from USB and accessing the \\retropie share

https://github.com/retropie/retropie...nsferring-Roms

As for controllers. the iBuffalo controllers are the best wired SNES replicas you can buy, and they're not that much more expensive than the cheap knockoffs

https://www.amazon.ca/Buffalo-iBuffalo-Classic-Gamepad-BSGP815GY/dp/B06XWD8QQJ
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #80
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been meaning to try this one https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product.../10400755.aspx?

Reviews say they are amazing controllers but they are Bluetooth so you would need to know how to connect them in the Pi.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote