Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Home network question

Ok. So I'm network illiterate.

What I would like to do is have my chromecast use unblockus or some other vpn to watch US Netflix. I don't want it to affect my other devices though.

Do I need to have two routers? I don't mind the expense of that makes it easier. The problem is, I'm not sure I can just hook up another router.

Can anyone give me a little advice??
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Easiest way to use unblockus with a chromecast is to setup some static routes for the google DNS addresses and route them nowhere or through your own gateway.

Basically

Destination IP 8.8.8.8
subnet 255.255.255.255
router IP 192.168.1.1

Repeat for 8.8.4.4

I ran this way for a long time when I used unblockus, no issues.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Easiest way to use unblockus with a chromecast is to setup some static routes for the google DNS addresses and route them nowhere or through your own gateway.

Basically

Destination IP 8.8.8.8
subnet 255.255.255.255
router IP 192.168.1.1

Repeat for 8.8.4.4

I ran this way for a long time when I used unblockus, no issues.
If I understand you correctly, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are the google DNS?

And will everything then run off of unblockus?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes, 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 are google's DNS, they are hard coded so by changing the route once they cannot be seen the chromecast will default to the router gateway (or routed to the gateway depending on what you do). The chromecast was a pain in the butt with a VPN. I believe I had to initially set it up without the VPN in place, get it working on my network and then switch everything over to the VPN.

Just read your post again...I think to use the Chromecast on unblockus you would have to change the DNS settings on your router as there is no way (that I am aware of without rooting) to change the Chromecast. So there are two things to do, set the router DNS settings to whatever Unblockus uses and the static route to reroute the hard coded DNS settings in the Chromecast. In this case yes, everything else will run through unblockus. Now I remember why I stopped using unblockus, couldn't get Centre Ice from Rogers to work with it.

I guess something to try is route 8.8.8.8 directly to Unblockus. I would need to check on this a little more.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I temporarily solved the problem. My wife really wanted US Netflix for my toddler who less to watch Disney cartoons. I really don't care. I use my network to watch gamecenter and play in the ps4, which I don't want set to US.

I have an old ps3, so for now I changed the DNS to a free US one and voila, it works. Kinda nervous about what a hacker may have access to though
Old 01-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #6
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I use an old laptop and use a Chrome plugin called ProxMate to watch US netflix now. Can either hook it up to the TV or the kids can take it elsewhere and watch. Works well. You can setup the PS3 to use unblockus.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #7
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

A little bump instead of starting a new thread. I have a home networking issue that I'm trying to sort out. I'm trying to move files from one computer to another and the best speed I'm getting is 6 mb/s. For anything 2GB or more I dont bother and just use a USB3 drive and manually walk it over to the 2nd PC. I'm looking to confirm what is limiting my transfer speed. One PC is Win 7 that has an Ethernet connection and the other PC is Win 8 with Powerline. They both connect to my standard Shaw modem, Cisco DCP 3825.

Is my issue most likely the Shaw modem? Do I buy my own router and bridge them? I'm also considering hooking up my older Synology NAS DS213, but I dont want to spend money on a new NAS HDD and router if it is something else that is slowing me down. Any thoughts?

Last edited by RW99; 01-16-2016 at 04:58 PM.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I'm trying to move files from one computer to another and the best speed I'm getting is 6 mb/s.
If you connect everything to the Shaw gateway, then 6mb/s is a little slow. If you have another router lying around, try it to see if the router will improve speed a bit.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd suspect the powerline connection first. Can you move the pc to run a test, or run a long network cable up the stairs or something?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Like Fuzz said - Powerline connection as the first culprit.

The second culprit could be older ethernet card drivers, see if you can locate the latest drivers for the Ethernet cards on the two computers, update them and then try again.

Finally I would replace the two ethernet cables coming into the cables with new ones. I have seen many wonky cables causing problems.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #11
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Thanks for the tips. I scrounged around and was able to get both PCs to connect by Ethernet to my Shaw modem and I can confirm I am able to get 100 mb/s that then drops down and averages 50 mb/s, much better results. So would 50 mb/s for PC to PC by Ethernet be a typical transfer rate? Both NIC cards are up to date.

So I guess my question then moves to the powerline adapters. It is rated at 600 mb/s and all the lights on the units indicate its at its best connection. Can I assume then it is my wiring that is the problem, living in a condo?
Old 01-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #12
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Are your files small or large (hundreds of MBs or more)? With modern spinning hard drives, they're able to max out a local gigabit connection with large files like a video.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #13
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

50mb/s is pretty good. The read speeds are high on most new drives, and should exceed 100mb/s if the conditions are right (and a gigabit connection). The issue comes in when you are trying to write to the HDD (which you are doing on the incoming computer), speeds are much slower in that case, and 50mb/s is pretty good.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #14
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, 50MB/s is decent for an HDD, especially sustained. For your other issue, you may want to try new network cables hooked to your powerline, since it is saying you have a good connection. I've also heard that polarity is important on these things, so you could try flipping one of them upside down in the power outlet.

Don't forget, that thing is rated at 600 mb/s and you are getting 50MB/s which his 400mb/s with your direct connection. Windows will tell you speeds in MB/s. 1MB = 8 x mb

Last edited by Fuzz; 01-17-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2016, 04:49 PM   #15
RW99
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yup, 50MB/s is decent for an HDD, especially sustained. For your other issue, you may want to try new network cables hooked to your powerline, since it is saying you have a good connection. I've also heard that polarity is important on these things, so you could try flipping one of them upside down in the power outlet.

Don't forget, that thing is rated at 600 mb/s and you are getting 50MB/s which his 400mb/s with your direct connection. Windows will tell you speeds in MB/s. 1MB = 8 x mb
I tried a new network cable and tried reversing the polarity and there was no change. I bought a USB wifi dongle and it went down to 2mb/s. So it sounds like the only way to get a decent speed is to buy a nice 100ft network cable?
Old 01-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #16
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

True high speed and reliability: when in doubt go hardwire (yeah that's my catch phrase!)

Look, of course thats your best bet. There are other things you can try:

- get a better router + network card: wireless AC preferably, you are talking $250 at least
- get a better power line system: no guarantee of success because the problem might be in the electrical circuits. and $100
Old 01-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #17
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I tried a new network cable and tried reversing the polarity and there was no change. I bought a USB wifi dongle and it went down to 2mb/s. So it sounds like the only way to get a decent speed is to buy a nice 100ft network cable?
You live in a condo and need 100ft distances?

Any modern condo should have ethernet drops in multiple rooms, you should be able to rewire them up in your switching closet.

Wireless AC is also a solution.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #18
RW99
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
You live in a condo and need 100ft distances?

Any modern condo should have ethernet drops in multiple rooms, you should be able to rewire them up in your switching closet.

Wireless AC is also a solution.
Building isn't that modern and unfortunately it's a rental. My office/gaming PC and the living room HTPC are on opposite sides of the condo. With all the walls in the way and not wanting loose cable on the floor, I don't think I have much of a choice.

Wireless AC would be my next best option. But that would involve buying a router to bridge to my Shaw modem, trying to get a AC card that would work/fit well with my HTPC as my office/gaming PC cant be wireless. Plus my PS3 doesn't have AC.

I was hoping for an easy fix, oh well. $20 for a flat ethernet cable and some install time will be my cheapest and most likely to succeed option available.
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #19
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So I guess my question then moves to the powerline adapters. It is rated at 600 mb/s and all the lights on the units indicate its at its best connection. Can I assume then it is my wiring that is the problem, living in a condo?
I wouldn't say so. Powerline ethernet adapters rate comically higher than they're actually able to sustain in throughput. Your wiring itself might be totally fine - it might be that you've just got poor adapters

I'm running D-Link DHP-701AV powerline ethernet and it's rated at 2000mb/s. I of course don't get that, but my wiring is 30+ years old and and it can sustain 150+ MB/s (bytes) easily.

If I were you I'd try upgrading your powerline adapter first, since it will take you very little time and you can just return it if it doesn't do it for you.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote