Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #141
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is legendary. The NHL themselves are probably like:

Buyouts usually sour relationships so its understandable why this has never been attempted before. After this though, I bet teams might start doing this very often. Absolutely sneaky. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL negotiate a fix to block this into the CBA asap lol.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #142
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Add me to the list that owes Everfresh and FlamesAreOne an apology. I never did my own fact checking. I never worked to confirm.

We should all work to confirm from here on in. Nobody should be made fun of for working to confirm.

Is this a meme yet?
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #143
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Add me to the list that owes Everfresh and FlamesAreOne an apology. I never did my own fact checking. I never worked to confirm.

We should all work to confirm from here on in. Nobody should be made fun of for working to confirm.

Is this a meme yet?
Looks like it is.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #144
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSeven View Post
This is legendary. The NHL themselves are probably like:

Buyouts usually sour relationships so its understandable why this has never been attempted before. After this though, I bet teams might start doing this very often. Absolutely sneaky. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL negotiate a fix to block this into the CBA asap lol.
Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if this is a specific exemption granted by the NHL. The Flames don't go down this route if Valimaki doesn't get injured. Stone was suddenly required again, they didn't buy him out with bringing him back in mind

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #145
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if this is a specific exemption granted by the NHL. The Flames don't go down this route if Valimaki doesn't get injured. Stone was suddenly required again, they didn't buy him out with bringing him back in mind
I would be very surprised if that was the case.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #146
chockfullofgoodness
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I know, my jokes just aren't funny.

If memory serves, Jordan Leopold, Chris Higgins (kinda), Carey Wilson, Mike Vernon, Jim Peplinski, Phil Housley, and Brian McGrattan are all also two-term Flames.

Edit: Steve Begin, Jason Wiemer, and Cale Hulse, too
Don't forget Olli Jokinen!
chockfullofgoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #147
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd be even more surprised than I was when I heard they had signed Stone.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #148
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see how an injury to a LD (Valimaki) impacts our signing of a RD (Stone)

The far more likely scenario is that the Flames feel Yelesin will require some development time in Stockton to really round out his game (they specifically identified pinching decision-making as a key area for improvement) and they want some injury contingency.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #149
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I don't see how an injury to a LD (Valimaki) impacts our signing of a RD (Stone)

The far more likely scenario is that the Flames feel Yelesin will require some development time in Stockton to really round out his game (they specifically identified pinching decision-making as a key area for improvement) and they want some injury contingency.
Because, as the roster currently stands, Stone is the seventh defenseman, and those generally aren't set by handedness.

Truth is, none of us know what happened behind the scenes here. This situation is unprecedented and I'd be really surprised if the Flames didn't have to clear it in some form beforehand with the league.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #150
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because, as the roster currently stands, Stone is the seventh defenseman, and those generally aren't set by handedness.
Giordano
Hanifin
Valimaki
Kylington
(Brodie)

We had five guys who are legitimate top 6 D who are left handed shots, plus Brandon Davidson.

Brodie
Hamonic
Andersson

This was our right side defensive depth, plus Yelesin, a 23yo rookie. And our couch also showed last season that sometimes he likes to left-right D pairings and moves Brodie to that side opposite a RD (Prout).

The injury to Valimaki really didn't impact our right defense. It was thin from the day we bought Stone out. Of course handedness matters.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 09-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #151
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

This off season is and has been a bead one overall. Stone mess. Smith for Talbot and Lucic for Neal could turn out to be downgrades. We lost Hathaway. And we haven’t signed 9 or 88. I don’t like it at all.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #152
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
This off season is and has been a bead one overall. Stone mess. Smith for Talbot and Lucic for Neal could turn out to be downgrades. We lost Hathaway. And we haven’t signed 9 or 88. I don’t like it at all.
What is the Stone mess?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:24 PM   #153
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, this has been such a meh offseason for the flames. I can't recall the last offseason that garnered such little excitement in the past 15 years...
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:32 PM   #154
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
It is pretty much impossible to downgrade from two players who were the among the worst in the league at their roles.

And 9 - Lanny?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 PM   #155
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Ya, this has been such a meh offseason for the flames. I can't recall the last offseason that garnered such little excitement in the past 15 years...
I can’t recall having a roster this talented in the past 15 years.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #156
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Exactly. In a cap world and with the year Calgary had you don't go and make a bunch of major changes. You change up depth pieces and let growth come internally. Personally I think the biggest adds will be guys like Andersson, Kylington, Mangiapane and Rittich reaching another gear in their development. Yeah it's not as exciting as celebrating a big signing but it can be just as significant

Biggest dissapointment is not having Tkachuk signed but if you look around the league this isn't a Calgary problem. Young players saw the Nylander situation and took note. So thanks again Toronto

Last edited by btimbit; 09-11-2019 at 08:46 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #157
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Exactly. In a cap world and with the year Calgary had you don't go and make a bunch of major changes. You change up depth pieces and let growth come internally. Personally I think the biggest adds will be guys like Andersson, Kylington, Mangiapane and Rittich reaching another gear in their development. Yeah it's not as exciting as celebrating a big signing but it can be just as significant
Not only this, but this team was clearly playing at a different level from November-January than what they showed February-April. The biggest thing next season, aside from simply making the playoffs, will be to have the team, specifically the top scoring line, carch fire around that time of year rather than cool off. All the offseason moves in the world mean nothing if the all star break is the real issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #158
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

They way I look at it is the Flames released an overpaid depth dman
Later in the summer they signed a depth dman for league minimum
The fact that player is the same matters little to me. Each decision should be evaluated in and of itself
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #159
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yep. The Flames have just begun year 1 of a period of a few years where there are so many good players on contracts that are pretty much steals.

If they can get Tkachuk and Mangiapane on the ice, there is reason to be very excited.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #160
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Most of my excitement for this season comes from internal growth. I'm excited to see if the first line can make magic happen again and learn from what caused their downfall.
I'm excited to see if Bennett can finish more, if eatbread becomes a threat, if Janko finally plays to the talent he displays periodically, If Lucic will bounce back, and his physicality.
If Dube can stick in the NHL and if so that's another threat to a insanely good team. Also, to see how Andersson does. Let alone some dark horse prospects that might yet still make the team.
My excitement used to come from outside transactions because the Flames sucked. Now we're really good with tons of room left to the ceiling.
I've only been following the Flames for 10 years and I haven't been this excited for an upcoming season.