Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #1561
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The game I saw Roy play in Regina, he could have been substituted with a pilon. He wasn't making smart plays and ended up sitting for long periods of time. Albeit just one game but if he does go pro I would think it would be echl for the year at least. Who knows when he steps out of Pulock's shadow he may start to shine?
lanny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lanny9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #1562
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really think it would be in teh best interest for the Flames and for Roy to convert him to forward.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #1563
Loob/Backlund
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I really think it would be in teh best interest for the Flames and for Roy to convert him to forward.
Completely disagree! Roy has real nice offensive tools for a dman, as he matures and has Ward and Hartley teaching him how to improve his defensive game he could be a quality prospect. TJ Brodie wasn't very good in his own end at this age as well, look how much he has improved.
Calgary Flames #1 Joe Mullen #1
Al MacInnis #1 Mike Vernon #1
Theo Fleury #1 Gary Suter #1
Hakan Loob #1 Doug Gilmour #1
Lanny McDonald #1 Joe Nieuwendyk #1
Jarome Iginla #1 Gary Roberts #1
Mikka Kiprusoff #1 Mark Giordano #1
Loob/Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #1564
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loob/Backlund View Post
Completely disagree! Roy has real nice offensive tools for a dman, as he matures and has Ward and Hartley teaching him how to improve his defensive game he could be a quality prospect. TJ Brodie wasn't very good in his own end at this age as well, look how much he has improved.
His defensive game has shown 0 progression for a couple years now. It's not suddenly going to change.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #1565
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
His defensive game has shown 0 progression for a couple years now. It's not suddenly going to change.
You may indeed be proven right, but he has been in the same program for those years.

Perhaps a season or two in the Flames' program will properly develop him? I would feel much more comfortable with them trying to develop Roy as a defencemen first for a season or two, before thinking about changing his position.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #1566
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loob/Backlund View Post
Uh, TJ was one of the best defensive players in the OHL when he was in major junior.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:21 AM   #1567
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan Culkin's Drummondville Voltigeurs were eliminated from the QMJHL playoffs on Sunday night. They lost game six 3-2, but Culkin had a two point game (1G, 1A) and was the game's third star.

Culkin finished the playoffs with 11 points (2G, 9A) in 11 games.

With Culkin's elimination, every Flames junior and college prospect's season is over. I assume he'll be joining the Heat in Abbotsford shortly.

I believe this will be the first time since 2008 that there will not be a Flames drafted prospect playing in the Memorial Cup (Wahl played in the 2008 tournament but wasn't drafted yet).
Old 04-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #1568
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing I'm most pleased with is the fact that every single guy that got recalled played well enough where they did not look lost out there.

More competition for jobs is a good thing.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #1569
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Hoping the Flames draft someone going to BC next year. Gotten attached to the Eagles, would be even more enjoyable to follow them with a Flames prospect
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #1570
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Hoping the Flames draft someone going to BC next year. Gotten attached to the Eagles, would be even more enjoyable to follow them with a Flames prospect
Thatcher Demko please.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #1571
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Besides Demko, here are the 2014 draft prospects who will join BC in the fall: Alex Tuch, Sonny Milano, and Joey Dudek.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #1572
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tuch & Milano both look pretty good, but they are both likely to be gone before the second round. Demko may be available then but I'm not sure I'd want to take a goalie with that pick.
Arsenal14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #1573
BChockeyJunkie
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Johnny and Agostino battling for a puck @ the Prudential Center in NJ for the state championship in 2010. 7-2 Delbarton (agostino) beat Gloucester Catholic (Gaudreau) both had points in the game

Now they both have National Championships and Both Signed By Calgary this year, and both scored there first NHL point in the month of April..... little did i know I was watching 2 future NHLers playing against each other at a NJ state championship
BChockeyJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BChockeyJunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #1574
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is anyone working on putting one of these together for our CHLers/Euros? (Already have one for the NCAA) I could put one together, but probably wouldn't be as nice as this one, haha.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:12 PM   #1575
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

i was toying with the idea of putting together a list of all of the prospects and keeping stats updated for all of them (more then likely would just be G, A, P, PIM and +/- as some leagues don't keep anything more advanced then that) that I could update probably weekly so we can see how the prospects are doing. Might be easier to see then scrolling through threads for links and trying to keep up with a number of posts to see who scored and who hasn't.

Probably would be more like a spreadsheet with name, team name and stats then a list with player links (although I could put something like that along with it)

Would there be any interest in something like that?
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #1576
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Id be interested in that for sure, I do like having a nightly update thread though also.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:46 AM   #1577
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Id be interested in that for sure, I do like having a nightly update thread though also.
in the past i think people made nightly comments and then the OP was updated sporadically.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #1578
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post

I think that's been taken care of to an extent as there is the Adirondack, NCAA and CHL threads up and I would guess potentially a European one coming as well.

Should have worded my post better as "a compliment to" rather then an "instead of" dealie. Perhaps something I could ask a mod to pin to the top as a quick reference for those who want fast stats. Definitely not to replace discussion threads.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote