Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 07:18 PM   #1021
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many father and sons have played for the same franchises in general?
Hockey or otherwise, seems pretty rare.

Eerling Haaland and dad at Man City comes to mind (though his dad wasn't there long); maybe Tij will be our Eerling.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:24 PM   #1022
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there's been a good few, unless I'm screwing up some of these relations and they're actually nephews/cousins/not actually related

Tie and Max Domi
I think both Foligno brothers have played for a team their dad did
Both of Peter Stastny's kids
I think Ray Bourque's son played a few games for the Bruins but was mostly an AHLer
Going a bit further back but King and Terry Clancy

Edit: Oh! and of course Gordie Howe playing with his kids at the same time in Hartford

Last edited by btimbit; 03-13-2024 at 07:27 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 08:33 PM   #1023
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just out of curiosity, is anyone reading/interested in the draft profiles I’ve been posting? It’s totally fine either way, just wondering if I should keep them exclusive to upside hockey….
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:45 PM   #1024
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Just out of curiosity, is anyone reading/interested in the draft profiles I’ve been posting? It’s totally fine either way, just wondering if I should keep them exclusive to upside hockey….
Pretty sure we're all interested.
Ba'alzamon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ba'alzamon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 08:48 PM   #1025
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
That was indeed a stacked team. Their record that year was 52-14-6. Two of the players ahead of Iginla in scoring were Darcy Tucker and Shane Doan.

However, I don't think Huska ever played much on a line with Iginla. Iginla's regular centre was Hnat Domenichelli. The Flames eventually traded for Domenichelli because they thought he would have chemistry with Iginla at the NHL level, too. Oops.
Jarome Iginla also took a very similar trajectory to Tij. He started his draft season unranked in various prospect rankings and finished the season ranked 15th OA, at least according to THN. Dallas of course drafted him higher at #11 OA, but there aren't too many people who wouldn't go back in time and draft him 1st OA that draft.

Trajectory means so much when trying to figure out players that age, because you are trying to project where they will be in a couple of years. Often it is preferable to take a prospect ranked say #15 who has been moving up consistently with a late top 10 pick than a player who just sort of hovered around the 10-15 spot all year.

Obviously every team has their internal rankings and don't rely on independent scouting services, but I tend to believe they are relatively consistent with just a few devations.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-13-2024 at 10:31 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:50 PM   #1026
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
How many father and sons have played for the same franchises in general?
Hockey or otherwise, seems pretty rare.

Eerling Haaland and dad at Man City comes to mind (though his dad wasn't there long); maybe Tij will be our Eerling.
Dave and Sam Gagner
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:55 PM   #1027
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You started doing these here. Got recognized for doing these here. For a reason. Keep doing them here.

Your draft thoughts are as big a part of this community as Sureloss breaking news, AC making cool videos (well used to anyways) or any other poster who contributes in abjg way.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:56 PM   #1028
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I love your profiles so much.

I was actually gonna private DM you the other day thanking you for all your work on the profiles, but I'm a shy guy, so instead I'll gush about you in this thread.

Keep em coming ❤️
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 08:56 PM   #1029
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Your prospect profiles are a CP treasure right up there Cheese's game day threads, Puppet Guy's animations, Gaskal's ATL summaries, Sureloss and MissTeek's, news breaking ability, AC's video compilations and so on.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:58 PM   #1030
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great to know, thank you all very much!

I didn't expect such amazing responses!!!
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 09:37 PM   #1031
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your profiles really help keep this thread alive Sandman. Keep it coming please! I look forward to reading a lot of them again right before the draft, and then right after the picks are made. Your fantastic work is highly appreciated!

As for the Tij talk - I would take him in the top 10 of this draft even if Jarome never played in Calgary. I would bet that he ends up more like Mathew and Brady as compared to the their Dad, then Brendan Lemieux is to his. Nobody really knows for years after the pick is made, but I would bet that he has that same drive. Kid certainly can score goals.

The most important thing for the Flames is to acquire as many franchise-level players period. Sure, centers and top pairing defencemen are more important than wingers, but Iginla was often more of a difference maker here in Calgary than a lot of #1 centres were on some teams. Draft the BPA, but as part of the figuring out who the best player is, intangibles in a kid like Iginla do help. Flames are likely to have a few kicks at the can at the top end of the draft.

Also, wingers are typically less important than defencemen, but boy are some high-picked defencemen just underwhelming. Even when they do make it, they often somehow are more disappointing. For instance, I love Hanifin - he is a great minute-muncher out there that gave the Flames plenty of mistake-free minutes. He was picked 5th. Who here would still pick him ahead of these wingers from the same draft:
Rantanen (10th)
Aho (35th)
Connor (17th)
Konecny (24th)
Kaprizov (135th)

However, I do pick Hanifin over many centres that were picked high that draft as well, like:
Zacha (6th)
Strome (3rd)
Eriksson Ek (20)
Roslovic (25)

I also think that Hanifin is the best defencemen out of his draft class. Werenski is the only guy that I think about trading Hanifin for (i mean, if Hanifin was still Calgary's player). Chabot (10th) was the run-away best D-man for a while out of that draft, but his injuries have hurt him. Dunn and Provorov are both really good, but Hanifin is better.

I think the biggest weakness in the Flames' organization is in centre, then on defence (even with the recent additions, a 'blue chip can't miss #1' seems to still be missing, with some possibilities of that being filled by Morin, Poirier or Brzustevicz internally, albeit lots has to go right for that to happen), then on wing, with arguably the strongest being in net (the only really legitimate 'superstar potential' being in the organization, as well as good depth in the position).

However, I never think that a team should draft by position, but instead, should always draft BPA. Calgary needs franchise players, and if Tij is the most likely superstar (or tied) then draft him without even thinking about it. I bet he has a lot of his old man's intangibles.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 10:00 PM   #1032
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sandman, I admit I wasn't paying much attention to your prospect writeups earlier in the season, because the draft was not on my mind much. But as the draft gets closer, I find myself reading them more and more closely. I admire your work, and I'm glad your older posts are still there so I can go back and catch up.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:50 PM   #1033
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just realized that Pittsburgh, who is slotted to pick 10th OA barring an unlikely lottery win, traded that pick to San Jose in the Erik Karlsson deal. It's top 10 protected, so as of now they keep the pick and San Jose would get the 2025 1st. But if they move up to 11th, they lose the pick. I know you can't ask players to tank, but management must be motivated to keep them from improving in the standings. Unless they believe they are going to be worse next season, which they could be, but you have to think they want to give it one last go with Crosbt and Malkin nearing the end of the line.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:05 PM   #1034
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a chance the Flames could be positioned to draft 8th overall as early as tomorrow night. We could slide behind Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and New Jersey with some wins and a Flames loss.

That comfortably puts us in range for one of Parekh, Catton, Helenius, Lindstrom, Buium, or Dickinson. That's a pretty big deal.

Last edited by ComixZone; 03-13-2024 at 11:08 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 11:08 PM   #1035
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I just realized that Pittsburgh, who is slotted to pick 10th OA barring an unlikely lottery win, traded that pick to San Jose in the Erik Karlsson deal. It's top 10 protected, so as of now they keep the pick and San Jose would get the 2025 1st. But if they move up to 11th, they lose the pick. I know you can't ask players to tank, but management must be motivated to keep them from improving in the standings. Unless they believe they are going to be worse next season, which they could be, but you have to think they want to give it one last go with Crosbt and Malkin nearing the end of the line.
If I were running the Penguins, I would far rather give up the 11th overall pick this year than an unprotected pick next year. I think this year was their ‘one last go’, and they threw in the towel when they traded Guentzel. That team figures to be awful next season.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:17 AM   #1036
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sandman please please continue your draft evaluations! I often focus more on the first round or two and you give me the highlight goods for all rounds and i often find myself going lets look at this guy some more, he sounds like a flames pick!

If we walk away with any of Lindstrom, Catton, Helenius, top line centers all day. Dickinson, or Buium may be the best all around defencemen in the draft. First pairing all day.

I will also add as a Caveat if the behind the scenes for Connely is a blip i would absolutely put him in my list he is top five talent on a bigger frame than Catton with most other things being equal.

Last edited by Fan69; 03-14-2024 at 03:28 AM.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 06:06 AM   #1037
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Sandman please please continue your draft evaluations! I often focus more on the first round or two and you give me the highlight goods for all rounds and i often find myself going lets look at this guy some more, he sounds like a flames pick!

If we walk away with any of Lindstrom, Catton, Helenius, top line centers all day. Dickinson, or Buium may be the best all around defencemen in the draft. First pairing all day.

I will also add as a Caveat if the behind the scenes for Connely is a blip i would absolutely put him in my list he is top five talent on a bigger frame than Catton with most other things being equal.
I don't just appreciate the draft profiles. The prospect updates on the Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum are much appreciated as well.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 06:48 AM   #1038
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I don't just appreciate the draft profiles. The prospect updates on the Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum are much appreciated as well.
Agreed. Living in bc most games are blacked out and without flam 960 this forum is my main source. Appreciate all contributors thank you all.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 07:38 AM   #1039
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I almost never login to post, but appreciate the profiles Sandman. Been here forever and posters like you are the reason one keeps coming back.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 07:39 AM   #1040
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This draft thread and your prospect updates in the back burner is what keeps me coming back everyday! If there was a CP hall of fame you would most definitely be in it.
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braden For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft