Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #101
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Wait, am I seeing correctly? Did we trade McCarthy and a pick that landed Brad Freakin' Richards for ####ty Jason Wiemer? Have we ever had a good GM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
-All time worst

02-Jan-92
To The Calgary Flames - Gary Leeman, Alexander Godynyuk, Jeff Reese, Michel
Petit and Craig Berube.
To The Toronto Maple leafs - Doug Gilmour, Jamie Macoun, Ric Nattress,
Kent Manderville and Rick Wamsley

The Phaneuf trade and the ones following are starting to follow the same pattern for the Flames again.

Low key that Weimer trade might actually be worse for the Flames franchise overall than the Gilmour trade.

Gilmour trade sucked but the team was probably going that direction with the Canadian $$$ and no salary cap anyways.

Has another other team ever traded away the pick that became the player the wins the Conn Smythe trophy against you when you meet in the Stanley Cup finals.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #102
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't worry, even if we had that draft pick we wouldn't have picked Brad Richards. We would have picked Bill Bumface from Regina, Saskatchewan. Played in the Saskatchewan high school league & didn't show that much promise offensively, but he was pretty big (6'4") and liked to throw his body around.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #103
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm totally getting a Bumface jersey
Old 03-02-2017, 05:53 PM   #104
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Low key that Weimer trade might actually be worse for the Flames franchise overall than the Gilmour trade.

Gilmour trade sucked but the team was probably going that direction with the Canadian $$$ and no salary cap anyways.

Has another other team ever traded away the pick that became the player the wins the Conn Smythe trophy against you when you meet in the Stanley Cup finals.
It's funny when old threads are bumped and posts from years ago are responded to.

I recently said something like this in the Lazar trade thread but the Flames didn't trade Weimer for Richards, they traded him for a third round pick which had a 28% chance of being an NHLer.

If you wan't to criticise the Flames, it's not the trade that was the problem, it was their drafting. Rico Fata in the first round and Blair Betts in the 2nd? They could have had Simon Gagne and Brad Richards instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
Don't worry, even if we had that draft pick we wouldn't have picked Brad Richards. We would have picked Bill Bumface from Regina, Saskatchewan. Played in the Saskatchewan high school league & didn't show that much promise offensively, but he was pretty big (6'4") and liked to throw his body around.
Also this. If the horrible drafting Flames of 1998 kept the pick it would have been wasted. In fact the Flames would have been better off getting assets for their 1st and 2nd rounders that season as well.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #105
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

The worst part is that we traded Weimer away later for a 3rd (4th?) round pick and used it to pick...yup, you guessed it. Hugo Carpentier!!!

Who's that you say? Oh he was great. He went on to play all of 61 games in the AHL, spending a large chunk of his first 3 pro seasons playing in the ECHL. He then went on to play in the LNAH...whatever the #### that league is. Apparently it's a ####ty Quebecois pro (semi-pro) league.

Our drafting is about a billion times better these days. WTF were we doing back then???
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #106
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that's pretty comprehensive listing! Joel Quenneville was a Flames back in 83 for like a week or two - probably didn't even land in Calgary LOL.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #107
frodo_t_baggins
Backup Goalie

Exp:

This thread is sweet. Thanks HD!
frodo_t_baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frodo_t_baggins For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #108
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some analysts say that the Hull/Bozek trade to get Rick Wamsley and Rob Ramage was the biggest heist for the Blues. At the time, I hated the trade because I really like the young core with the likes of Niewendyk, Roberts, Fleury, and Vernon along with a great veteran core. However, that was soon forgotten when the Blues sent Glimore and Mark Hunter back the other way. But what really hurt was the trade to the Leafs where the accumulation of player for the Cup win is erased by that one trade. This pretty much began the descent to the Young Guns era. Can't believe history repeated itself again with the Phaneuf trade. This thread should be kept as a history lesson to look back as the successes and failures.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #109
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some analysts say that the Hull/Bozek trade to get Rick Wamsley and Rob Ramage was the biggest heist for the Blues. At the time, I hated the trade because I really like the young core with the likes of Niewendyk, Roberts, Fleury, and Vernon along with a great veteran core. However, that was soon forgotten when the Blues sent Glimore and Mark Hunter back the other way. But what really hurt was the trade to the Leafs where the accumulation of player for the Cup win is erased by that one trade. This pretty much began the descent to the Young Guns era. Can't believe history repeated itself again with the Phaneuf trade. This thread should be kept as a history lesson to look back as the successes and failures.
Not sure what you're saying here but the Flames already had Gilmour when they traded Hull.

Getting Hull was a steal for the Blues but last I checked, there is a trophy that is considered more valuable than any other.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:33 AM   #110
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Not sure what you're saying here but the Flames already had Gilmour when they traded Hull.
The Hull trade was at the deadline in 1988. The Gilmour trade was later that summer.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:51 AM   #111
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Correct you are. Also forgot just how much Hull was scoring in his year with Calgary but as I recall, he was also healthy scratched a few times.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #112
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Correct you are. Also forgot just how much Hull was scoring in his year with Calgary but as I recall, he was also healthy scratched a few times.
Hull was whining that he was playing on the 3rd or 4th line and was also upset that he didn't get to play for Team Canada that year at Rendevouz '87. In hindsight he was right, but that team was stacked and he was a rookie 3rd liner. He had 50 goals in the AHL in 1986 yet somehow didn't get called up until the Stanley Cup finals? Rookie year, playing in the 3rd line and being considered out of shape he had 26 goals and 50 points in 52 games.

Back then though, the Flames had enough scoring and needed more grit, plus Hull was seen as lazy and whiny, thus the trade.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:23 AM   #113
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Also, good to see you HD!
Old 03-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #114
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

I was missing the Baertschi deal. Thanks to user Hilbilly for PM'ing me with this.

Also, can a Mod edit the thread title to "HD's All-time Flames trade list (up-to-date 01-Mar-17)" I Advance Edited the title of the 1st post the but thread title didn't change.
HalifaxDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #115
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hull was actually scoring as much as he can with every shift that he had even though he was on the 3rd line and was benched a lot for not skating all that well. As I recall, Crisp and everyone said that he's not a very good skater and that's why they decided to give him up. My whole point about Hull was that Fletcher likely knew he was giving up a lot for Hull but he wanted to add size and depth on defence to counter his team's lack of size and depth on the defence in 87 against the Habs. Nattress was added before the Hull trade. Then, Ramage and Wamsley as was added for more size and depth in defence and goal. If the trade with St Louis ended there, yes, the Hull trade would have been lobsided. The final pieces of the puzzle - Gilmore and Mark Hunter. So, you can say it was a deal with the Blues for Nattress, Ramage, Wamsley, Gilmore, Mark Hunter, and the 89 Stanley Cup for future HOF Hull. Some hockey analysts will always look at that trade as the Flames getting totally fleeced IF you look at Hull for Ramage and Wamsley alone. IMHO, it's pretty good deal and both sides won. However, Hull did never produce a Cup with the Blues. It's only when he left that he won with teams with Dallas and Detroit. Funny how the Blues also landed McInnis as well.

It's too bad that the Flames don't have close ties with the Blues after Fletcher left. It would be nice to grab some of their players and put them on this team for another Cup run.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #116
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Quote:
My whole point about Hull was that Fletcher likely knew he was giving up a lot for Hull but he wanted to add size and depth on defence to counter his team's lack of size and depth on the defence in 87 against the Habs.
They played the Habs in 1986 final, not that important in context to your post but I just wanted to point that out. '87 stupid Jets.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #117
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
26 goals and 50 points in 52 games.
The luxury of having scoring on one team! Cripes, nowadays, anyone rookie scoring that many goals in a season will be signed to a multi-million dollar long term contract the very next season. Flames had 4 young kids who either scored 50+ goals as a rookie or have went on to score 50 or more goals in their career - 3 of them came in in 86 and the last one came in just before they won the Cup in 89. That's frickin unbelievable!

As for Hull being a slow skater - Pfff, who cares when he scores on almost every rush up the ice? Kind of reminds me of another player that the Flames had when most fans says he's slow and he had more goals as a Flames than any other Flames - hint, hint
Old 03-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #118
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDrunk View Post
They played the Habs in 1986 final, not that important in context to your post but I just wanted to point that out. '87 stupid Jets.
Yeah, besides the Oilers, I always hated the Jets because that team seems to always be in the way to knock out the Flames in the first round of the playoffs. It's probably why I still hate the Jets. Seems like we still can't beat them most of the time.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #119
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Sorry for the delay in updating this past summer's moves. The list is now updated to the last Flames trade sending Tom McCollum back to the Red Wings organization.
The Following User Says Thank You to HalifaxDrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #120
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDrunk View Post

10-Feb-96
To The Calgary Flames - Pat Conacher
To The Los Angeles Kings - Craig Ferguson
Am I the only one who thinks that Craig Ferguson's career really took off after he moved to L.A.?
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all-time , flames , trades