Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #201
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post

Treliving must be in a very hard place because he probably can't ask ownership for another coaching hire.
Probably right, Top coaches are more expensive than ever, I think it's fairly obvious over Treliving's tenure the ownership group wont pay for one so these coaching failures should be on them as well.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:28 PM   #202
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Darryl Sutter was an excellent GM
I liked Darryl but this point is debatable. He was stubborn in player type (though eventually he did change the draft strategy with Backlund) ie Pelech, Chucko, JD Watts,etc because he wanted to play one way:

The defenceman would start behind his net, skate to center and fire it in. I watched Bouwmeester do it (and Doughty too). Straight line hockey and all he wanted were straight line players.

Trading second round picks etc. I don't like bringing these up because I loved the 04 run - how that team competed, it was incredible.

But to say he was excellent... He did change the culture and expectations so I give him a lot of credit.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:30 PM   #203
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
May be he is hiring a coach who follows his words about line ups, or player play times or type of system? If he hires the big coaches they won't follow his instructions.

I think it is mostly this, if I had to guess. I mean, nobody really knows, but if you listen to Brad after Hartley was fired, and after they hired Gulutzan and Peters, he seems to be set on puck possession type of hockey like Babcock is known for.

Maybe Treliving just fell in love with Gulutzan's hair, maybe he felt Bill Peters' initials were some kind of sign, and maybe he thought that Geoff was always the best version of Jeff?

I really just think that Treliving's coaching decisions is based more on a philosophy of how he wants this team to play more than anything else, including being worried about being usurped.

You can't worry about being usurped by your hire. You either hire a competent person to do the job, which will also make you look good, or you hire someone incompetent which will make you look bad, and possibly result in your own dismissal anyway.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 12:31 PM   #204
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
I fully agree it's not cost. I think it's Trelieving's ego that prevents a good coaching hire. Even Peters was his buddy from Hockey Canada. He wants someone who either can"t or won't challenge him.

Nothing in how the Flames player last year should have got Ward a 2 year contract.
I think this is all junk. Made up, superifcial analysis and just BS.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 12:37 PM   #205
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never believed it was a good idea to bring in leadership from the Coyotes organization if the Flames wanted to level up. The Flames decided to hand over the team to a guy coming from leadership of one of the worst franchises in the league. So, why did Treliving get the job in the first place? What was the rationale? Was it just Burke that made the call, or were King and ownership in on it too?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:37 PM   #206
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Unproven hypothesis about the ownership group:
Having worked with some Oil and Gas executives (not directly but as a vendor to them) there was a pattern where they would spend money on anything to get the oil/gas out of the ground. But if it wasn't directly about that - they were tight on money.

If that approach was applied to the team - I can see the owners being willing to spend to the cap on players, but not pay up on areas such as coaching. Because the players are the equivalent to "getting oil out of the ground".

Not saying that's the right approach but it possibly explains the disconnect between the owners spending on players but not (in theory) on other areas such as coaching.
I think this may be correct. I mean revenue etc should be similar for CGY & EDM but EDM throws money at personnel (POHO, coaches etc).

I'm not really trying to criticize either - I just think there are different approaches from the top. Maybe revenue is different and CGY lags but I do think there is a budgetary constraint: more business/corporate. But what do I know?!?
Old 02-21-2021, 12:41 PM   #207
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ultimately a coach coaches the players not the team.

The players coach the team by how they interact and integrate, based on how coaching structures, tactics and philosophy.

I’m all for bringing in a guy like Bruce Boudreau to see what he can do with this group as a last chance.

Will Murray Edwards pay for it?

Something isn’t connecting here. Maybe it never will.

Make the change now or reset and refocus on a new group of core players.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #208
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The whole "won't pay for top coaches " I do find strange. It just doesn't make logical sense to me.

Is it not possible that the Flames have a fairly strict internal budget and Treliving chooses to spend it on players and buyouts?

Combine that with a perhaps not too desirable destination, competition amongst other coaching vacancies and choosing based on fit an philosophy and an already small pool of candidates, its not so easy just to hire a proven coach.

This is not in defense of the situation, just in my opinion a far more likely situation to deal with.

This team seems to be unraveling, and perhaps Ward has lost the room. I'd like to see him gone. For better or for worse, this leadership group of players hasn't proven that they can handle the team. This group needs a strong leader behind the bench. Who that is, who knows.

If Treliving isn't already on thin ice and needs a hail mary to save his job he should be on the phone with any coach out there with any track record of success.

I doubt Sutter has much desire to come back, but I think he's too smart of a hockey guy to just come in and coach like its 2004. If Torts can adapt and have success. So can he. I think Sutter has been called a dinosaur through every hockey generation he's been through, yet success follows him around.

It can't get much worse around here, so why not swing for the fences.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 12:55 PM   #209
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

If ownership isn't sure about Tre, let him go.
Look at the stupid things Chiarelli did when he was getting desperate. Hexwent from a poor Gm to seemingly intentionally ruining the team.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #210
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I get that in this current climate the owners may have said no to a more expensive coach, but this still lands on Treliving at the end of the day. If we have an internal cap he could still choose to spend a million under the cap and use the difference on a coach. The coaching decisions are fully on him, with maybe a little grey area with the Ward hire due to the lack of revenue.

For the most part I like Treliving and I think there are a number of things he does really well, but at seven years in these results speak for themselves.

We had that poll on here in the off season of whether or not we should keep Ward, and something like 85% of us said no. So it’s not like this was some unexpected outcome.

I really want Treliving to succeed, but it’s pretty hard to make an argument for why he should stay at this point. Of course it doesn’t really matter though, because Treliving and Ward are both here for the season at the very least.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #211
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

I think this team is built fairly well and could be a winner.

I think this team is being held back by coaching, and by the Flames leadership group.

New coach+ New Captain = Fresh start and a newly energized group.

When say New coach, I mean a proven coach. A proven winner which may cost more than the league minimum.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #212
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I liked Darryl but this point is debatable. He was stubborn in player type (though eventually he did change the draft strategy with Backlund) ie Pelech, Chucko, JD Watts,etc because he wanted to play one way:

The defenceman would start behind his net, skate to center and fire it in. I watched Bouwmeester do it (and Doughty too). Straight line hockey and all he wanted were straight line players.

Trading second round picks etc. I don't like bringing these up because I loved the 04 run - how that team competed, it was incredible.

But to say he was excellent... He did change the culture and expectations so I give him a lot of credit.

Well, he wasn't perfect. I don't think he should be immortalized into the HHOF as a builder, or even be considered as Calgary's best GM of all time (Cliff Fletcher has that tied-up with his cup).

I am not sure he wanted to just play that one way, however. Look at Tanguay, Cammalleri (small), Huselius - all the 'soft skill' type of players. That's who he brought-in as players while as a GM. He also traded and courted Bouwmeester, who was by any definition a 'soft' defencemen physically, but a great puck mover with skill.

I think the focus on his drafts initially were two-fold:
1) The Flames had a tiny scouting department when he took over - he started expanding it once he became the GM, but I think he was also handicapped as he was a first-time GM. I notice when GMs move around, the often bring in scouts with them from previous stops who they trust. Darryl didn't really have this, but he did a good job expanding that capacity on the Flames, and together with Todd Button, started to better identify what types of prospects to draft - i.e. character, high IQ as prioritizations.

2) Players didn't want to play here.

He focused a lot on the WHL - both from a scouting resource need and the fact that players like Drury just wanted out. Even journeymen weren't 'happy to be here'.

Jay Bouwmeester was not a straight-line player IMO. He played that way under Brent Sutter, who turned everyone into a straight-line player. That was Jay's most unproductive years, and I thought he was a terrible defencemen for those 3 years. Hartley comes in, and Jay suddenly starts looking like a fantastic and creative defencemen again - scored 6 goals in 33 games with the Flames that last year (on pace for his Florida goal scoring numbers), in comparison with 3, 4 and 5 goals in full seasons under Brent.

Why did Darryl hire Brent?

I think it was an overreaction to Keenan. Keenan's teams were not defensively sound teams. He didn't really have 'systems'. He just got players to play well. "You make this much, so you play on this line, and you better be doing this well". That's Keenan. He had Calgary's best rosters IMO, and they should have been having way more success in the playoffs than they did.

So Darryl sees the issues on this team defensively, and wants a coach that can play a more defensive game. He also made the mistake of letting Cammalleri walk as well (which in hindsight, exasperated part of the problem to come).

Brent Sutter's system was stifling (and oddly reminiscent now of Geoff Ward's system). That's when the wheels really started flying off. That combination of 'stifling system' was compounded with the loss of offensive players (namely Cammalleri, who Darryl thought priced himself out, but was hyper-focused on fixing the continuous defensive lapses this team developed).

I didn't have an issue with those 2nd round picks being traded for good players - I thought most of those were very good deals all things considered. Didn't win them all, but I thought right up until the Phaneuf/Jokinen trades just days apart, he was a solid trader.

I guess it really is how you look at things. I try to measure if a GM is good or not in a few different ways. One way is off of pure success - did he win a cup? Did he go far in the playoffs at least? That's an obviously heavily weighted consideration.

The other things I look at are stuff like: "Is this team better off from his time as GM"?

- Expanding the scouting
- FINALLY convincing the owners to spend on having their own AHL team to control
- Identified what kind of prospects to draft (started under him, according to Todd Button)
- Most of all, he made the team relevant again after an entire decade of being an afterthought in the NHL.

He wasn't perfect, and he wasn't Cliff Fletcher. He also unfortunately lost his reputation and his job because of some overreactions on his part from coach-to-coach, and making the wrong choices in coaches. That knee-jerk trade near the end of his era was also an 'unforgivable' offence, and eroded all the trust that he had, and was the start of the 'Laughingstock Flames'. He deserved to be fired, and eventually he was, but I do think the things that he did do right provided a lasting legacy here in Calgary that Feaster reaped (though Feaster to his credit continued to add to the scouting department).

Point is, he did a lot of good in Calgary while he was a GM - mostly good, actually. He put this team back on the map, and a place that players wanted to be in again. His largest mistakes I thought were his choices of coaching staff, and I am worried that Treliving is going to follow in Sutter's footsteps.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #213
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Snipe View Post
I think this team is built fairly well and could be a winner.

I think this team is being held back by coaching, and by the Flames leadership group.

New coach+ New Captain = Fresh start and a newly energized group.

When say New coach, I mean a proven coach. A proven winner which may cost more than the league minimum.
Man how has this core given you the indication that we can win the cup? Because we are here to win the cup. How can you say confidently that we could be a winner....
FlameyMcFlameFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:06 PM   #214
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Reading between the lines and obviously I have no inside source, but I don't believe Treliving will ever be let go by the flames brass. Could he transition to a different position? Yes, I think that is most likely.

I don't believe Ward will be fired either...Not that he shouldn't be just that I do believe its harder to this season. The season could be over (if it inst already) before another coach clears covid protocol.

So whats the best case scenario? Lets be honest guys, if Boudreau or Gallant were an option don't you think they would already be here?

I think the best plan of attack is probably in Pittsburgh. Sullivan will likely be let go if the pens don't make a run this year.

He is a former flame, I think that might be the best option other then Sutter coming out of retirement.
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #215
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I agree with this message. Tre, is the root of the problem.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #216
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

The minute we started the new season with no significant changes after getting smoked by the Avalanche the previous year, I believed in my heart that Tre was no good.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #217
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Although I'm not a big Treliving fan, I would be okay with him sticking around to focus on player acquisition and contract management as GM if he would just hire a star coach and let that guy handle the team. If he isn't interested in doing that though, I would prefer that the organization find a strong new president of hockey operations. Let that person either work with Tre to overcome his deficiencies or hire a new GM to hire a new coach and replace players.

With his player acquisition and contract management skills, if Tre could just get a star coach and leave him to it, the Flames could have a strong leadership group. He could certainly be part if a strong leadership team, but alone he doesn't seem to have what it takes and he's not bringing in adequate help. The fact that Tre seems to be failing at bringing in the help he needs to move the organization forward suggests he's definitely not the right choice for president of hockey operations himself.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:33 PM   #218
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
And isn't able to get a competent backup, leading to the burning out of that successful asset he did acquire.
Except for the first guy to lead this team (at least in gp...) to consecutive playoff appearances since Kipper...

I don't think Rittich has the best temperment to be a backup, but I also think it's a sign of this team being bad/desperate that they already feel the need to ride Markstrom, who coincidentally played his best hockey when deployed in a platoon and doesn't have a history that suggest he should start >80% of a team's games.

One thing we do know is that goaltending hasn't been the primary issue holding this team back in the playoffs (nor this season).
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 01:35 PM   #219
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Silly question here:

Lately it seems like Tre likes to preach about how a player should play and what it takes to win in the NHL - his latest interview with Steinberg for example....

Would it rub a player the wrong way if he was told how he should play from someone who never made it to the NHL?

And even if the argument was Tre's NHL experience as AGM in Phoenix, well..... not exactly a history of winning there either.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:37 PM   #220
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I think it's Treliving's latest attempt to tell the players there won't be changes and that this is how its going to be.

The players probably don't buy that but I doubt they scoff at his lack of pro playing experience as the reason.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post: