Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2021, 07:40 AM   #2001
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I’ll also add Treliving has shown he has the balls to make major moves. Did you see either Hamilton trade coming, or at least as it turned out?
And the Hamonic trade. Both trades nobody saw coming. Both big moves.

There is too much emphasis by the naysayers focused on the product on the ice, the fact that the Flames have a worse record relative to their peers on the last 7 seasons than they did the 7 seasons before, the lack of gamebreakers in the prospect pipeline, the general lack of depth in the pipeline and the overall malaise that is the Flames 7 years after they finished with 77 points and are on pace for 75 points over 82 games in 2020/2021.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:47 AM   #2002
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
How about St. Louis? Do you consider ROR to be an elite C? He’s good, no question, but what would he be on the Oilers? 3C? How about Winnipeg? Washington? Pittsburgh? LA? TB? Toronto?......point being, he’s not a hands done 1C on quite a few teams. He wasn’t a 1C in Buffalo or Colorado when he left those teams either.
Sure St.Louis won with an average centreman, but to that average centerman has been nominated for selkes, as right now would be the best centre on Calgary. Statistically you have a way better chance of winning a Stanley Cup with a high end centre then going the St.Louis way. As for Vegas screw them they were gifted 2nd line players and 3 -4 defenceman, most teams if given a chance would be way better then their current roster if able to hit a reset with these kinds of favourable rules, screw Vegas, crap they are exempt from the expansion to begin with.
browntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:50 AM   #2003
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
For one season.
And then it run out of steam and the players didn't want Hartley anymore.

Cultures sustain.

The reality is that we don't know what the culture was so to put it out there as something BT benefited from inheriting is just a vague and assumptive argument based on very little.
The ####ty second season under Hartley, where it ran out of steam and the Flames had one of the worst what ended up being their 1B goalie (Hillier) in current league memory from a statistical perspective, ended up with a better record on the ice than the team that Brad build will have this season (if they keep their current pace up). That team finished the season 10-8 in their final 18 games (playing hard through a string of meaningless games). Curious to see how this team finishes out in the exact same circumstance (basically mathematically eliminated from the playoffs with nothing to play for).
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:54 AM   #2004
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Well, who says you even need to make the big move at all? I mean yes, it’s entertaining, but look at Winnipeg, up until the Dubois move they stayed the course and were very patient. They draft extremely well, build everything in house and have built an extremely strong and very young core. They’re on there way back to top of their division and they’ll be good for a while.

Personally, I would take back that Hamonic or Hamilton or Elliott trade in a heart beat. Tod Button’s scouting staff were on a roll in 2015 and 2016 and I’m sure they would’ve picked up some more good ones and fill the holes currently in the line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In theory, I agree. I would like to see a little more long term thinking with the Flames, but look at their history. They have consistently short cut themselves and this approach was well underway before Treliving came about. This is an ownership issue, not the GM. I would argue, if there was one fatal flaw with this rebuild, it was Sam Bennett not realizing his potential, or even close to it.

Back to Winnipeg, they also had the good fortune of leaping several draft spots in a strong draft the ultimately landed them PLD. This isn’t unique to Winnipeg either. Dallas kept several spots to have Heiskanen. Philly drafted 2OA.

The Flames haven’t had that stroke of luck.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #2005
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Ya I feel for Tre. Seems like a good guy.

The fall of Monahan snd Gaudreau has been nothing short of spectacular.
Would be interesting to get reasoned views from those who watched it happen from the inside- someone like Gelinas.

Did they quit on the team? Were they suddenly figured out? Have they partied too hard for too long now?

It’s quite unbelievable.
It really is remarkable and the number one reason that the Flames find themselves with the 6th worst record in the NHL.

Not the goaltending, not the GM, not the Coaches...but,

The downward spiral of Johnny and Sean.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #2006
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In theory, I agree. I would like to see a little more long term thinking with the Flames, but look at their history. They have consistently short cut themselves and this approach was well underway before Treliving came about. This is an ownership issue, not the GM. I would argue, if there was one fatal flaw with this rebuild, it was Sam Bennett not realizing his potential, or even close to it.

Back to Winnipeg, they also had the good fortune of leaping several draft spots in a strong draft the ultimately landed them PLD. This isn’t unique to Winnipeg either. Dallas kept several spots to have Heiskanen. Philly drafted 2OA.

The Flames haven’t had that stroke of luck.
The Bennett flop had a huge butterfly effect on this team, combined with a finish that was too good in 2015. It made them believe that they had a 1C, so they traded a first rounder which was much later than it should have been for another need - Hamilton. Who they then have to trade (with a RW), because Bennett didn’t pan out, to get another centre to have a 1A 1B situation and slightly lesser D to replace Hamilton. And then, because there’s a hole at RW, they sign Neal which was a strong move based on stats but not based on the player’s character. So they then have to move their 1B to RW and they are officially stuck in mediocrity up front. They then try to trade Brodie to address that issue again, and it falls through, resulting eventually in Brodie leaving.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2021, 08:04 AM   #2007
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
Sure St.Louis won with an average centreman, but to that average centerman has been nominated for selkes, as right now would be the best centre on Calgary. Statistically you have a way better chance of winning a Stanley Cup with a high end centre then going the St.Louis way. As for Vegas screw them they were gifted 2nd line players and 3 -4 defenceman, most teams if given a chance would be way better then their current roster if able to hit a reset with these kinds of favourable rules, screw Vegas, crap they are exempt from the expansion to begin with.
I don’t disagree with any of this. I just don’t buy into the truisms that are frequently trotted out here; ‘you can’t win without an elite 1C/Goalie/1D/coach/elite players on ELC’s’
Old 04-03-2021, 08:10 AM   #2008
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because if the lack of production out of gaudreau and monahan we essentially do not have a top line right now.

That’s been the main problem the team has had this season and in the playoffs where teams have neutralized them.

I don’t think they will work their way out if it either. Gaudreau had been physically taken out of the offense via good opposition game planning and he’s too physically weak to counter it.

Monahan’s problems are skating and he’s easy to bump off the puck.

I don’t think these issues are going to be resolved anytime soon. So it the team wants to get better anytime soon. I’m think it’s time to cut ties.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:13 AM   #2009
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t disagree with any of this. I just don’t buy into the truisms that are frequently trotted out here; ‘you can’t win without an elite 1C/Goalie/1D/coach/elite players on ELC’s’
I don't disagree with your statement, but I would say it's very hard to win without those ingredients, how as it worked out for Calgary since Nieuwendyk?
Old 04-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #2010
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Because if the lack of production out of gaudreau and monahan we essentially do not have a top line right now.

That’s been the main problem the team has had this season and in the playoffs where teams have neutralized them.

I don’t think they will work their way out if it either. Gaudreau had been physically taken out of the offense via good opposition game planning and he’s too physically weak to counter it.

Monahan’s problems are skating and he’s easy to bump off the puck.

I don’t think these issues are going to be resolved anytime soon. So it the team wants to get better anytime soon. I’m think it’s time to cut ties.
Agree with you, if only ownership would see it this way
Old 04-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #2011
Young Guns
First Line Centre

Exp:

So people with season tickets,

How many will renew if knowing the Flames are going into full rebuild mode?

Easy for people to say they need to tear it all down but when millions of dollars are on the line.
Young Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Young Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2021, 08:32 AM   #2012
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Guns View Post

Easy for people to say they need to tear it all down but when millions of dollars are on the line.
Do season ticket holders really want to watch this? I can't be on an island here by saying I would rather have the Ottawa team then Calgary
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to browntrout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #2013
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1378223257258762241

This is a pretty damning stat. We have been putrid in the last month, worse team in the league.
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #2014
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1378223257258762241

This is a pretty damning stat. We have been putrid in the last month, worse team in the league.
That is embarassing and why Treliving should lose his job. After 7 years, this is what he accomplished.

One good thing with this stat - The Flames absolutely should be sellers at the deadline. There is no longer any doubt about it. Just nervous to know Brad will be making these moves.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #2015
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I will. I’m more frustrated if they don’t, quite honestly.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #2016
Young Guns
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
Do season ticket holders really want to watch this? I can't be on an island here by saying I would rather have the Ottawa team then Calgary
Easy to to say that now that Ottawa’s in year 4 of there rebuild. Myself, I’d probably save my thousands and renew again once the team becomes competitive again. What I was getting at is I doubt ownership would be keen on doing a full rebuild. But if they are then I doubt Treliving would be around for this.
Young Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:51 AM   #2017
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

My prediction even before the season started was that Treliving needed to win an actual playoff series this season to save his job.

This embarrassment of a season is just more nails on that coffin.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #2018
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Easy to to say that now that Ottawa’s in year 4 of there rebuild. Myself, I’d probably save my thousands and renew again once the team becomes competitive again. What I was getting at is I doubt ownership would be keen on doing a full rebuild. But if they are then I doubt Treliving would be around for this.
Perhaps that is the problem with this team, owners who are more concerned with profits then actually having some sustained success
Old 04-03-2021, 08:53 AM   #2019
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, time to hit the reset button for sure...not sure if its blowing it up or just moving a number of long term guys that haven't been able to get Calgary over the top.

I will say, one thing that I was disappointed in this offseason was Calgary not trying to upgrade their forwards; Not getting a guy like Toffoli was straight up baffling to me...This team can't buy a goal in a tight game and the Flames did zero to address that.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:00 AM   #2020
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
My prediction even before the season started was that Treliving needed to win an actual playoff series this season to save his job.

This embarrassment of a season is just more nails on that coffin.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but your assumption is highly unlikely.

Treliving has two years left after this one on his contract, I believe. We’re coming off a season with zero gate or concession revenues. Not only that but Edwards other businesses have likely taken a pounding. They just fired a coach and replaced him with one who I’m sure has a higher salary. Why would the owners now choose to fire the GM, pay out the remainder of his contract plus the amount his replacement would cost? Is the plan to fire and hire based on pedigree and previous success, Lombardi? Or cheap out and go with a first timer like Kevin Weeks? Is it just Treliving that’s going to get gassed, or is Maloney & Conroy out as well? Who replaces them? Or do the Flames go the Sabres route and run with a one man show? That sounds good.

Treliving is here for at least this season and next.