Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #2241
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think the maximum allowed is 20% of the salary cap, so about $14 million per season.

I don't know if he will get that, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to RFA and they let the market decide. Some other team out there would for sure offer in the $9 to $10 million range.
$9-10 m? For a player who looks like he might win the Art Ross before his 20th birthday? If McBaby makes it to RFA the offers will be plentiful, and almost assuredly higher than $12 m. She's Weber made $14 m in each of his last four seasons; do you honestly believe that McDipple will come in at less than that on an offer sheet? Not a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 12-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #2242
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Imagine the schadenfraude of HF Oilers if McDavid isnīt signed on the first day of elegibility or if it drags out over next year? If we thought our reactions and the media pressure for Johnny were over the top, imagine for McMuffin
And Johnny signed for somewhere in the region of $1.5M less than most people were expecting.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #2243
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was in a bit of a quandary last night; do I cheer for one team to win in regulation so that there are only 2 points given, or do I cheer for OT so that each team gets points and would move them further away from the bottom of the league and top draft picks?

I must have put that out to the universe, as a Winnipeg Jet scores a goal in the Edmonton net thus meaning 2 points for the Oilers. is that how the oilers get two points these days?

btw, i'm hearing angst from oilies faithful about the coach and his shootout player choices! And these are tier 1 fans too so their opinion is worth more!
Old 12-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #2244
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And Johnny signed for somewhere in the region of $1.5M less than most people were expecting.
Because he wasn't able to use the threat of an offer sheet.

McDavid has far more leverage.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #2245
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Because he wasn't able to use the threat of an offer sheet.

McDavid has far more leverage.
Precisely. Its going to get grim up North when the time comes.

Well...grimmer than normal which is already pretty rough for the most part.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #2246
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think McDavid will pull a Crosby and sign a long term deal at his number. 8 years $9.7M per
Old 12-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #2247
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think McDavid will pull a Crosby and sign a long term deal at his number. 8 years $9.7M per
Why would he give up three years of free agency and two or three million dollars a season?

I mean, come on. Signing for your jersey number is cute, but if I were a hockey player, I wouldn't pay tens of millions for the privilege.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #2248
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think lot might depend on how the Oilers do. A playoff run might be enough to convince him to sign a better deal. But if they miss the playoffs every year of his entry level deal, I can't imagine he will be easily giving up UFA years in his next contract.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #2249
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Why would he give up three years of free agency and two or three million dollars a season?

I mean, come on. Signing for your jersey number is cute, but if I were a hockey player, I wouldn't pay tens of millions for the privilege.
Maybe he only goes 6 years but McDavid is wired to win and if he takes too much of the pie there is no way the Oilers can put together a competitive team when he makes $12-$14M per. $9.7M would also be the highest cap hit any player signed out of a ELC.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #2250
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My guess is he drags out contract negotiations until he's an RFA, signs a max deal offer sheet with an eastern team. Oilers then match the offer sheet.

McNugget refuses to report due to 2 more seasons of not making the playoffs, then the Oilers are forced to trade him for less than what the offer sheet would have given them.

I have a dream.

Last edited by bzoo02; 12-12-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #2251
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NHLPA will be strongly working in the background to ensure that a player doesn't sign substantially under market value.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #2252
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
Was just looking at the Oilers stats. Patrik Laine now has as many goals as an Oiler as Jesse Puljujarvi. An embarrassment of riches on that team...
lol... i had to actually look this up. Poolparty literally has 1 single goal this season.

hahaha
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #2253
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
The NHLPA will be strongly working in the background to ensure that a player doesn't sign substantially under market value.
Why would the NHLPA care? They get 50% of HRR regardless of how much Connor signs for. The more he signs, the less their union members will get back from escrow.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #2254
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Why would the NHLPA care? They get 50% of HRR regardless of how much Connor signs for. The more he signs, the less their union members will get back from escrow.
Isn't it better for the NHLPA to keep pushing salaries (prices) up?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #2255
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Because Fehr wants to fight, whether there is anything to fight about or not. I understand that the PA has some history of pressuring players to demand large contracts, even though it doesn't increase the overall league payroll by one dollar.

When you consider that the PA is now trying to do away with escrow, this strategy makes a certain twisted sense. The more players' contracts are overvalued compared to HRR, the more money they'll lose in escrow, and the more willing they will be to let the PA bugger up their careers over yet another labour dispute.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #2256
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
lol... i had to actually look this up. Poolparty literally has 1 single goal this season.

hahaha
You know who else has 1 goal? Magnus Pajaarvi.

Oilers stench? Check.

Supposed high skill Finn? Check.

Last name start with a P? Check.

Coincidence? I think not.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #2257
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jesus Christ. 1 goal for poolparty? Why don't they send him back to Junior?? Oh right, Oilers gonna Oil
Old 12-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #2258
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Teams may be interested in signing McDavid for marketing reasons as much as for competitive ones. If a team is struggling to get coverage in their market and need to sell tickets, signing McDavid to a max contract would get them the league MVP whose best days are in front of him and many expect to be a generational player. That is a pretty great marketing piece. I imagine Los Vegas would love a player like that to be the face of their organization.

The Oilers will have the right to match and probably will. This fairy tale that he'll sign for his jersey number is cute, but ridiculous.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #2259
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Or he signs for 12.97M per

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #2260
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Jesus Christ. 1 goal for poolparty? Why don't they send him back to Junior?? Oh right, Oilers gonna Oil
Because the Oilers don't have any further along prospects that are any better.

Terrible organizational depth forces you to rush an obviously not ready player like Poolparty (stupid name)

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Closed Thread