Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #2101
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Lol.

You're the one hoping McDavid will be unreasonable.

It's not very likely given recent NHL history and his character.
lol right back at you.

I am not hoping anything. And I don't think him wanting to get paid is unreasonable.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #2102
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

What is unreasonable? He'll probably win the Art Ross this year. $10 mil per year is right on par.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #2103
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
What is unreasonable? He'll probably win the Art Ross this year. $10 mil per year is right on par.
I'd be very comfortable with a $10 million dollar contract for McDavid.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #2104
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he wins the scoring race this year and next, I'll take the over on $10M. I would put the over/under at about $11.5M
Old 12-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #2105
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If he wins the scoring race this year and next, I'll take the over on $10M. I would put the over/under at about $11.5M
At which point it kind of doesnt matter anymore really. $1.5M one way or the other for your top player isnt typically all that important because if you have him during his prime then over time his contract will likely retain full value.

Its when hes cashing $11.5M at 38 and putting up like 12 points that it becomes a problem.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #2106
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kane won the Art Ross last year and is making 10.5 million AAV. If Connor wins it this year or next, at the age of 19 or 20 he will easily command > 11 million. Most people also think Toews and Kane took minor discounts to keep their dynasty together. If/When Edmonton finishes outside the playoffs for Connor's entire ELC, I can't seem him taking a discount to stay on a perennial loser, he could command in excess of 12 million. And I really hope some team offers him some ridiculous contract at that price for only 5 years, taking him straight into UFA. Everyone knows the Oilers will have to match, if they let him walk for 5 first rounders, Edmontonians would burn down Rogers Center.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #2107
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the Max Salary these days? I presume nobody makes it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #2108
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
At which point it kind of doesnt matter anymore really. $1.5M one way or the other for your top player isnt typically all that important because if you have him during his prime then over time his contract will likely retain full value.

Its when hes cashing $11.5M at 38 and putting up like 12 points that it becomes a problem.
Not sure I agree with that. The Hawks are having a tough time rounding out a roster with $20M tied up on two guys. And that's with two really friendly deals for Hossa and Keith on the books.

If the Oil are paying $11.5M for McDavid, that would be $17.5M for him and Lucic - and Lucic is not in the same world as Kane or Toews.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #2109
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

is your cat doing singing?
Old 12-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #2110
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Max compensation for an offer sheet is 4 first round picks not 5.

Half the league would happily offer 12M for 5 years, if McNugget is looking to maximize his earnings then he would be smart to sign an offer sheet. That would put him right in his prime for another massive contract as a UFA in his mid 20's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #2111
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Not sure I agree with that. The Hawks are having a tough time rounding out a roster with $20M tied up on two guys. And that's with two really friendly deals for Hossa and Keith on the books.

If the Oil are paying $11.5M for McDavid, that would be $17.5M for him and Lucic - and Lucic is not in the same world as Kane or Toews.
While true, its not quite the same, overpaying your star player a little here and there is okay because you're still getting value for that contract for the most part, its the $1.5M give or take for role players that bite teams in the ass.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #2112
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If I am McDavid I want max money! That team is hot garbage without him and everyone knows it. They either back the truck up with a pile of money or he signs a bridge deal for around 9-10.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:48 PM   #2113
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or maybe he wants to play on a team that is competitive and won't try to squeeze every penny ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #2114
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Or maybe he wants to play on a team that is competitive and won't try to squeeze every penny ?
Yeah but first overall are on their ELCs for quite a while so they're cheap!

Old 12-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #2115
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
At the rate he's going, he's getting minimum 10 I think.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #2116
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Lol.

You're the one hoping McDavid will be unreasonable.

It's not very likely given recent NHL history and his character.
He showed his true character during and after the Philly game. He's a classless whiner that's seemingly easily rattled... Unless you want to listen to Spector and Whyne Gretzky on that subject
Old 12-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #2117
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What is the Max Salary these days? I presume nobody makes it.
20% of the cap when the contract is signed (both the cap hit and any single year's salary must be under 20% of the cap), so $14.6 million this season.

Weber's contract was pretty close to the upper limit when it was signed. Prior to the lockout, in the summer of 2012, the working cap was $70.2 million. Weber's contract paid him $14 million in the first 4 seasons (even though the structure of the contract kept the cap hit lower).

This season, Kane & Toews are both paid the maximum that was allowed at the time they signed their contracts. They get paid less as they get closer to 35 to keep their cap hits down.

Because his next contract will run through what should be his prime years, it's tough to imagine McDavid giving the Oilers a discount, especially if he wins some league hardware this year.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #2118
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess for McDavid has always been about $11milAAV. I don't see him making it to RFA, I think he'll tell the Oilers what he wants and they'll just give it to him.
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 05:38 PM   #2119
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
My guess for McDavid has always been about $11milAAV. I don't see him making it to RFA, I think he'll tell the Oilers what he wants and they'll just give it to him.
And if they still suck I see no reason why he wouldnt ask for the maximum.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 05:46 PM   #2120
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And if they still suck I see no reason why he wouldnt ask for the maximum.
Agreed.
I think he will give them a bit more time.
A couple years at 11 or less, maybe 3.
Still no good? Maximum
Closed Thread