Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #2081
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
He's trying to injure himself to see if the father, son and holy Connor McDavid will heal him with the touch of his magic stick.

Yes Gene Principe literally said "in the name of the father, son, and holy Connor McDavid" on air last night.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #2082
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
He's trying to injure himself to see if the father, son and holy Connor McDavid will heal him with the touch of his magic stick.

Yes Gene Principe literally said "in the name of the father, son, and holy Connor McDavid" on air last night.
My god was that intro ever bush league. I had to change the channel for a few minutes even though this is pretty much the norm for Principe.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #2083
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Yeah every team would be stumbling over each other to throw 5 first rounders for McDavid if they had the opportunity. If he makes it to rfa then that would be the monumental of all monumental debacles of all time.

Honestly, if he's going to want 11+ million AAV, a team would be stupid to give up 5 first rounders for him. How do you build around him without any first rounders? Everyone loves to point out the Benn's, Zetterberg's and Gaudreau's of later rounds but those are few and far between. The only teams that will have that kind of cap space will be rebuilding teams, who then have greatly reduced their chances of rebuilding around him. For arguments sake, let's say he's an RFA this off season. Only Carolina has the cap space to sign him to 11 million (they must have a great capologist ). The only other teams within striking distance of that salary if they made some roster moves are Florida and Winnipeg. Both have some quality young guys now but you better hope they all pan out because not having any 1st rounder for the next 5 years will hurt. Just the fact that he can be offer-sheeted does gives him a lot of leverage. Leverage which I assume will make Chia have to give him an 11+ million dollar salary, and will end up handcuffing the Oilers in the end.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #2084
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Gaudreau was the rare exception. Almost all players coming off their ELC can be offer sheeted.

McDavid can be offer sheeted but I doubt any team does it as Edmonton will math any number.
Buffalo and I think it was LA both said that they would get back at the Oilers for messing with their salary structures.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 12-10-2016, 03:05 PM   #2085
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Buffalo and I think it was LA both said that they would get back at the Oilers for messing with their salary structures.
5 first rounders is hardly getting back at them.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #2086
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure if serious?
Old 12-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #2087
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Not sure if serious?
Can vouch. I saw it happen as well
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #2088
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
If they offersheet maximum dollars at minimum term to free agency then it does mess with the Oilers salary structure and there's no way that McDavid doesn't get the advice to sign it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 12-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #2089
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Gaudreau was the rare exception. Almost all players coming off their ELC can be offer sheeted.

McDavid can be offer sheeted but I doubt any team does it as Edmonton will math any number.
I dunno.. Edmontonians are not very good with their maths.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #2090
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
But Edmonton will and have to match though, so they won't have to give up 5 first round, and that's how they mess with their salary structure.
The Following User Says Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #2091
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see McDavid making it to restricted free agency. The Oilers will probably sign him to an extension as soon as they are able.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #2092
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I don't see McDavid making it to restricted free agency. The Oilers will probably sign him to an extension as soon as they are able.
IF

they're willing to back up the Brinks truck.

Otherwise, McDavid waits. Why wouldn't he.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #2093
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They'd certainly like to, but if McButtercups's representation wants to maximize their earning potential there will be 20+ suitors more than willing to make a $10+ mil x 4 year deal to bring him straight to UFA at 25.

Knowing the league though, they'll change RFA rules at some point before he's eligible to make the Oilers be able to retain him cheaply.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #2094
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think other GMs will put through offer sheets as they'd get black listed among the group. There's a reason why offer sheets are very rare...

McDavid also knows, like other players who could get more, that if he wants to win, taking less allows the team to surround him with better players...

I'd love for the Oilers to get screwed, but just like most other teams don't get screwed by their pending free agents, I simply don't see high odds of it happening.
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #2095
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

McJesus will be an Oiler until he can be a UFA. Then maybe he will be a UFA. Hard to envision a scenario where he holds out. It would be such a distraction and utter chaos because of his status in the NHL.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #2096
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
IF

they're willing to back up the Brinks truck.

Otherwise, McDavid waits. Why wouldn't he.
If he keeps playing like this the brinks truck will be backed up no matter what.

That's ok. The superstars in the league are value contracts compared to what most guys get paid. I doubt McDavid is going to break the mold and ask for the salary max.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #2097
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

if McDavid continues on this trajectory, i think you'd be dumb NOT to offersheet him...

How many first rounders don't pan out? or aren't elite players?

As much as i loathe the guy, he is clearly one of the most skilled players in the NHL...and this is only Year 2.

The reason why you roll the dice is the hope that out of those 5 first round picks, at least 3 are not top 10... in theory, if you have talent in your system already, then you could possible withstand the loss of those picks...esp if McDavid steps into that lineup and turns you into a playoff contender. These would be teams just out of the playoffs, with cap space and a reasonable stable of young talent that hasn't yet turned the corner

flashback to a RFA Sidney Crosby, in retrospect would he be worth 5 rolls of the draft dice? I say yes.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #2098
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If he keeps playing like this the brinks truck will be backed up no matter what.

That's ok. The superstars in the league are value contracts compared to what most guys get paid. I doubt McDavid is going to break the mold and ask for the salary max.
Well, keep hoping I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #2099
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every team in the league would happily give up the picks if they could get him on an offer sheet.

The expectation would be that those picks would be late first rounders anyway. Even if there were one lottery pick mixed in, who cares?

If he goes to RFA, he will definitely be courted for offer sheets. Especially considering the Oilers have a history of using them as well.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #2100
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Well, keep hoping I guess.
Lol.

You're the one hoping McDavid will be unreasonable.

It's not very likely given recent NHL history and his character.
Closed Thread