Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 06:00 AM   #2061
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Guarantee he goes for $9.7M/6 years. Draisaitl will get $6.5.
Looking at their salary cap, they should have space for those.
9.7?
Maybe on a 2 year bridge.
He hates losing. Gives the Oil another window to be competitive.
I see no way he takes 9.7 long term, with that team.
There is no negotiations. Connor tells them what the terms are.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #2062
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah every team would be stumbling over each other to throw 5 first rounders for McDavid if they had the opportunity. If he makes it to rfa then that would be the monumental of all monumental debacles of all time.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:08 AM   #2063
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love if McDiver ended up signing an offer sheet with any other team...except the leafs. I just don't think he will. Teams can offer him max money for max length but he has to sign it. I think signing an offer sheet would turn the media on him and put even more pressure on him. With the oil he can do anything he wants and not have to win and the media will be tripping over themselves just to stare in his eyes during the awkward silences in his interviews. He has it too good in edmonton, everyone loves him and there's no real pressure to win.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #2064
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Guarantee he goes for $9.7M/6 years. Draisaitl will get $6.5.
Looking at their salary cap, they should have space for those.
There's no way that he settles for 9.7 million especially if he wins major trophies like the Art Ross and continues to be the media and on ice focal point of that tire fire.

The NHLPA will be putting a ton of pressure on him to sign a showcase deal.

He'll get between 11 and 12, Draisatl between 6 and 7 and Nurse will probably get 5 because Chia has shown that he's a pretty lousy negotiator.

So they'll have at the worst in the next two years added 24 million to their payroll for 3 players. Right now I think they have about 3 million in cap space. They don't have any real significant cap dollars coming off in the next two years except for Russell, and they'll need to replace him with like dollars because they don't have anything on the farm blueline that's even close to replacing him.

On top of that lets say 24 million for those three they have

Lucic at 6, Nuge at 6 Eberle at 6, Sekera at 5. So you got what $47 tied up in a fairly underwhelming group of 7.

The oilers will probably have to dump at least 2 of the above 4 to get the cap space they need to sign the top 3 for straight cap relief.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 12-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #2065
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I would love if McDiver ended up signing an offer sheet with any other team...except the leafs. I just don't think he will. Teams can offer him max money for max length but he has to sign it. I think signing an offer sheet would turn the media on him and put even more pressure on him. With the oil he can do anything he wants and not have to win and the media will be tripping over themselves just to stare in his eyes during the awkward silences in his interviews. He has it too good in edmonton, everyone loves him and there's no real pressure to win.
That's just it, they don't have to make that offer. If teams were smart, they would come in and offer max dollars but minimum length to get McDavid to UFA status. That is the leverage that every team has, being able to cut the years of service to a minimum with the Oilers. If McDavid were to sign an offer sheet with another team, for $14M per for the next five years, that is the offer the Oilers have to meet to retain McDavid. They can offer longer terms, but the McDavid camp can just say they will only accept the terms as signed with the other club. That guarantees that McDavid gets to free agency, and total control over where he plays, the soonest. It also guarantees the biggest payout for him in the log run as he will get another massive contract right in the middle of his prime, rather than taking a possible haircut because of his later years in the contract.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #2066
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

but the point is that he has to sign it. Every possible contract imaginable could be given to him but he still has to sign it. I just don't think he'll sign a deal with any other team because he has it too good with the oilers....for now. He's this rebuilds Taylor Hall, he's their golden boy...until the next generational talent comes along and they still suck enough to get him. McDavid doesn't have to sign with anyone because he doesn't seem like the kind of kid with a fire in him to be as good as he can IMO.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #2067
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
but the point is that he has to sign it. Every possible contract imaginable could be given to him but he still has to sign it. I just don't think he'll sign a deal with any other team because he has it too good with the oilers....for now. He's this rebuilds Taylor Hall, he's their golden boy...until the next generational talent comes along and they still suck enough to get him. McDavid doesn't have to sign with anyone because he doesn't seem like the kind of kid with a fire in him to be as good as he can IMO.
It doesn't matter where he goes, he's going to be the golden boy. That's irrelevant. For example, he could sign in Las Vegas and have it way better and have even less pressure. No one expects an expansion team to be any good. But that isn't the intent. The idea is to get McDavid to UFA status the quickest, that way every team has a crack at him and McDavid can play where ever he wants.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #2068
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
It doesn't matter where he goes, he's going to be the golden boy. That's irrelevant. For example, he could sign in Las Vegas and have it way better and have even less pressure. No one expects an expansion team to be any good. But that isn't the intent. The idea is to get McDavid to UFA status the quickest, that way every team has a crack at him and McDavid can play where ever he wants.
This makes a ton of sense, but we've never actually seen a player do it. The question would be which teams would have the cap space to do it?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #2069
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
It's 5-7-5
Something meta about an Oiler Haiku being wrong

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT

Last edited by Fozzie_DeBear; 12-10-2016 at 10:18 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #2070
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

there has been a lot of talk about how the oilers have played but i want to hear from the people who know the most about this team, the TIER 1 fans. their opinion is really all that matters.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #2071
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Old 12-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #2072
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

The No Goods are still pining to trade their soft forwards for Dougie.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #2073
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I've watched this gif for a couple minutes now and I still don't quite understand what the point of doing that was...
Old 12-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #2074
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I've watched this gif for a couple minutes now and I still don't quite understand what the point of doing that was...
Metaphor for having to be an Oilers fan
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #2075
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
If he makes it to RFA, I'd be shocked if a team didn't submit an offer sheet for 12M minimum.
Don't think he can be offersheeted after his entry level deal. He'll be too young or inexperienced to get offer sheets.

Gaudreau couldn't be offersheeted after his ELC.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 12-10-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #2076
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Hes showing us that he gets to live out the dream of punching Gene Principe in the stomach.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #2077
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau only had 2 years of experience. McDavid will be offer sheet eligible.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #2078
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Don't think he can be offersheeted after his entry level deal. He'll be too young or inexperienced to get offer sheets.

Gaudreau couldn't be offersheeted after his ELC.
Gaudreau only played 2 years though. If you remember Monahan could have been offer sheeted
Old 12-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #2079
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau was the rare exception. Almost all players coming off their ELC can be offer sheeted.

McDavid can be offer sheeted but I doubt any team does it as Edmonton will math any number.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #2080
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Gaudreau was the rare exception. Almost all players coming off their ELC can be offer sheeted.

McDavid can be offer sheeted but I doubt any team does it as Edmonton will math any number.
IDK...it is possible that the offer sheet would be just a tactic to force the Oil to have to cut elsewhere...It's not like they don't have other #1s that might be set adrift by having to pay McDiver due to an offer sheet. RL example, offer sheets to Niemi AND Hjalmarsson forced the 'Hawks to choose between a SC winning goalie, and a young #3 D-Man. Similarly, the Oil might be forced to deal an asset or get, say, RNH out of purgatory, just because they MUST over pay, or lose, the chosen one.
Closed Thread