Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #1001
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbqsaints View Post
Just a note about the USHL from Peter Quennville the Alberta Jr MVP last year (who is on the roster) was really impressed with the skill and speed of the USHL hockey, and watching him during tryouts, try an keep up to the speedy play , I wonder if the US side is more finesse and the Canadian side more physical??
I would expect so. The USHL is the top junior league in the US, and so I would expect would rank above Canadian Junior A (where Quennville came from), but below the CHL, where most of Canada's top talent goes. So it would make sense that he would see the USHL as a higher 'skill' league than the AJHL.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #1002
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I look at these stats of NHLers that went the USHL route and then wonder how the hell Gaudreau fell to the fourth round when he had 72 points in 60 games as a 17 year old in the USHL.

I know he was about the size of a hobbit but still you think people would have looked and that production and took a flyer earlier.
You should probably look at the production of USHL players who didn't make the NHL as well. (I'm not saying I know what you'd find, just that it's an important part of the analysis.)
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #1003
Diverce
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
Some quick thoughts after i've had time to think about this pick...

- Feaster et al showing confidence in their ability to develop a "raw but highly-skilled" centre. I don't know where this confidence comes from when I think about the Flames track record with previous forwards considered to be "projects".

- Skill. Seems like everyone from scout to blogger says Janko has loads of it. I'm very happy to see that skill is still very high on the list of priorities.

- Feaster says Janko "could be the best player to come out of the 2012 draft..." and i'm sure he told Janko that as well......so get out there and WORK YOUR FRICKEN *** OFF!!
It's tough to paint Feaster and co. with that brush since he hasn't really had a chance to develop anyone in the organization. This is pretty much his first project with the Flames, and the confidence probably comes from the staff he has put in place. And it could also come from the route he's going, and the pedigree he has, the support he has. Lots of factors involved with the confidence.

I like the route he is taking. Going the USHL then college route seems fitting since it gives him time to develop physically.

Pretty sure everyone knows what they're doing with regards to his development
Diverce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #1004
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Listening to Prime Time Sports, they confirmed that at least two teams told them that Jay was lucky to get Jankowski when he did because he would have been gone between 23 and 30.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to EddyBeers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #1005
Kipperking
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I honestly have no idea how this pick will end up looking in 5+ years...
Kipperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #1006
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipperking View Post
I honestly have no idea how this pick will end up looking in 5+ years...
but we all know what we want it to lead to!

Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #1007
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Well if he was top-5 in next years draft, wouldn't that mean he would likely be coming from a USHL team and not an NCAA team?
I have no idea where he would be coming from but my comment wasn't a negative of him going to the USHL vs. NCAA just a comment that with his supposed skill he shouldn't be concerned about playing in the NCAA. The USHL might be better than NCAA and the right decision but the NCAA shouldn't be a concern for him.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #1008
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I have no idea where he would be coming from but my comment wasn't a negative of him going to the USHL vs. NCAA just a comment that with his supposed skill he shouldn't be concerned about playing in the NCAA. The USHL might be better than NCAA and the right decision but the NCAA shouldn't be a concern for him.
It should 100% be a concern if he isn't physically mature to be playing their yet, lol.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #1009
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's more about his progression though. A steady build up of strength, confidence, knowledge of systems, etc...

If he is as skilled as we hear, the USHL should be excellent for him to hone that skill against higher competition, while having lots of time to train and bulk up. College will be the same thing...less games, more gym time, more muscle mass.

Curious to follow his progression over the next few years.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #1010
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
It should 100% be a concern if he isn't physically mature to be playing their yet, lol.
He is 6'3 and roughly 180 lbs. isn't he?

It isn't like he is playing in the CHL and will run the risk of big hits and possible fights.

I have no issue if he wants to go to USHL but he shouldn't be "crapping his pants" if he were playing in the NCAA.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #1011
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post

I have no issue if he wants to go to USHL but he shouldn't be "crapping his pants" if he were playing in the NCAA.
And he probably wouldn't be, you're quoting a poster who said that not Jankowski or anyone in his camp. The USHL is a good first step, I fail to see what's wrong with it. Don't know why you're so focused on what one poster said.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #1012
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you are missing the point Moon.

Why go directly to the NCAA where expectations will be much higher, when you can start in the USHL to get your feet under you against tougher competition. Just because he is a 1st rounder doesn't mean he should be rushed into the NCAA because of his draft position.

The best thing for this kid in my opinion is to progress upwards through the USHL to the NCAA and then to the Flames. He needs to learn systems play, he needs to bulk up, he needs to keep his confidence. Rushing him against higher competition doesn't accomplish any of these things. It isn't about being afraid of the level of competition, its about being smart with the development of one of the few big, skilled centers we've ever drafted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #1013
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
And he probably wouldn't be, you're quoting a poster who said that not Jankowski or anyone in his camp. The USHL is a good first step, I fail to see what's wrong with it.
There is nothing wrong with it which is what I have been saying in this thread.

Quote:
Don't know why you're so focused on what one poster said.
Because that was the post that I was responding to.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #1014
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
I think you are missing the point Moon.
I think you are missing what I was responding to.

I don't care if he goes to the USHL or NCAA if he thinks the USHL is better for his development then good for him.

I was responding to the "crap his pants" comment and said regardless of his choice the NCAA shouldn't make him crap his pants.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #1015
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way it came across right or wrong is as a criticism of Jankowski for not going directly to the NCAA.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #1016
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
The way it came across right or wrong is as a criticism of Jankowski for not going directly to the NCAA.
Not sure how when I directly said that it didn't matter to me which direction he went.

If I wanted to criticize him about not going to NCAA I would say he was stupid for not going to NCAA. I have no problem being direct with what I think.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #1017
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moon, you get defensive fast.

I really don't care, I was just making an observation on what I interpreted was being said. If that isn't what you said, great.

Take it easy, not everyone on the board is out to get into a big debate with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #1018
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketopuck View Post
moon, you get defensive fast.

I really don't care, i was just making an observation on what i interpreted was being said. If that isn't what you said, great.

Take it easy, not everyone on the board is out to get into a big debate with you.
lol
Old 06-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #1019
HockeyInTheHimalayas
Lifetime Suspension

Jay Feaster was on the FAN960 for the morning show today to talk about the Sarich signing, and he had the following to say about Jankowski:

- Feaster said he could not divulge which GM's told him, but that two GM's told him that
they were going to take Jankowski.
- Jankowski has not yet made up his mind whether to play next season in Hockey East NCAA,
or whether to play in the USHL. Feaster is not going to pressure him either way, and will allow
Jankowski to come to his own decision on that, however there is a chance he will go straight into college hockey.
- Feaster believes Jankowski will be a FRANCHISE player, someone the team is going to build around.
HockeyInTheHimalayas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HockeyInTheHimalayas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #1020
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyInTheHimalayas View Post
...Jankowski has not yet made up his mind whether to play next season in Hockey East NCAA,
or whether to play in the USHL. Feaster is not going to pressure him either way, and will allow
Jankowski to come to his own decision on that, however there is a chance he will go straight into college hockey.
Can we infer from this that the Flames both see Jankowski as ready to play in NCAA, and also that USHL or Canadian Juniour are not necessarily the best tracks for his development? I'm a little surprised by Feaster's comments, because I assumed that the Flames would have a greater stake in ensuring that he develops correctly. Perhaps this is just an indication from the Flames management of their high confidence in Jankowski's abilities to assess his own development needs and track?

Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote