Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #61
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
THE SCUD you're really over-rating this show. I like the show, it's funny, but by no means is it the best comedy on tv.

Comedies which are better would include: Parks and Rec (though you think it is awful), Always Sunny in Philly, Community, Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Having re-watched both Seasons, season 1 was much better, season 2 was rather mediocre.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't give it taste.
THE SCUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #62
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Discovered this thread last week, and am now halfway through season 2.

I think it's pretty funny, although maybe not the funniest show on TV. I wouldn't put it in the same league as Curb or it's Always Sunny. I think I really have to give this community a shot though, a lot of people seem to really like it.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #63
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't call it the funniest show on TV either, but I've been enjoying it. I've actually been trying to get into all those shows mentioned above. I watch Curb, but never seen any of the others.

3 eps into Parks & Rec, reminds me too much of The Office, but its funny. I could see me getting into it. 2 eps into Community, think I'm gonna pull the plug, its funny but something about it just isn't grabbing me. Not a huge fan of the main character. Wanna get into Sunny/Philly but the only thing holding me back is its already in season 5, don't really feel like having to crack out on 100 eps to catch up. That was part of why I got into The League, 19 eps is easy.

Anyways, back on topic, I'm seriously considering changing my fantasy football team name to The Shivas before my draft next week.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #64
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both Parks & Rec and Community took a little while to get their feet under them.

P&R was like The Office and had a short first season that wasn't that good, it got a lot better once the actors figured out their characters.

I'd give Community until at least the Mexican Halloween episode before giving up on it. It was pretty much a completely different show by the end of the first season.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #65
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How can anyone watching this show not cringe whenever that guy with the pronger tooth gap talks. soooo annoying. You are on tv buddy. get it fixed!
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #66
Pacem
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Watched the entire first season last night.

Meh....

Its funny, but not the funniest show on TV. I likely wont be buying the second season. I'll watch it when FX comes to Canada tho.

Its hard to describe but, I found the dialogue they use when they talk about actual players to be awkward. The dialogue seems so much better when football players actual names aren't used. Scenes about the boob test. Or how they decided who was picking first. The bribery to get trades. The wife running the team. The constant slamming of that buck toothed guy. The generic football fantasy stuff was better.
Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #67
BergyBoy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

This show is hilarious..

BergyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #68
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SCUD View Post
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't give it taste.
Community, Curb, Sunny in Philly, Parks and Rec, and I have no taste.

Ok, continue to live your life in oblivion. Not saying you should love these shows and there is nothing wrong with liking The League the best, but to say I have bad taste because I suggested the highest rated shows (which I think are better), you're obviously just trolling.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #69
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #70
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like all the shows that are being bandied about here, including The League.

For those who like their comedy with a hint of immaturity, you should check out 'Workaholics' which, in my opinion, is up there with the funniest comedies on tv right now. Hard to describe it... just three slackers who work and live together, and get up to crazy hijinks. Actually, that was fairly easy to describe.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatso For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #71
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
I like all the shows that are being bandied about here, including The League.

For those who like their comedy with a hint of immaturity, you should check out 'Workaholics' which, in my opinion, is up there with the funniest comedies on tv right now. Hard to describe it... just three slackers who work and live together, and get up to crazy hijinks. Actually, that was fairly easy to describe.
I stumbled onto this show and the first episode I saw featured their bosses brother who has Down syndrome. The Down syndrome guy was one of the funniest characters I've ever seen. Man, that was a hilarious episode.

Unrelated episode:

NSFW!
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #72
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Both Parks & Rec and Community took a little while to get their feet under them.

P&R was like The Office and had a short first season that wasn't that good, it got a lot better once the actors figured out their characters.

I'd give Community until at least the Mexican Halloween episode before giving up on it. It was pretty much a completely different show by the end of the first season.
Ya I'm working through the first season right now, about 6 eps in. It's ok, but I'm surprised (disappointed) with all the heart in the show, I thought this was gonna be some goofy comedy. So far it hasn't really been that. I really don't care about Leslie & Mark's little thing they have going on, in fact I kinda wish Mark's character would just go away. Don't really care about Ann & Andy's relationship situation either.

I can see the potential though, which is why I'm sticking it out, as I hear it gets a lot better. Plus I wanna see my man Louis CK the next season. They pretty much need to just stay at the Parks & Rec office for every scene, more Ron Swanson & Tom please.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #73
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Ya I'm working through the first season right now, about 6 eps in. It's ok, but I'm surprised (disappointed) with all the heart in the show, I thought this was gonna be some goofy comedy. So far it hasn't really been that. I really don't care about Leslie & Mark's little thing they have going on, in fact I kinda wish Mark's character would just go away. Don't really care about Ann & Andy's relationship situation either.

I can see the potential though, which is why I'm sticking it out, as I hear it gets a lot better. Plus I wanna see my man Louis CK the next season. They pretty much need to just stay at the Parks & Rec office for every scene, more Ron Swanson & Tom please.
You will be pleasantly surprised soon.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #74
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Seriously? The Office's first season was one of its best, way better than the last couple seasons. Loved season's 1-3 then it started to go downhill from there.
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #75
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^ Agreed. Season 1 of the Office was awesome.

Still waiting to receive The League in the mail.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #76
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
Seriously? The Office's first season was one of its best, way better than the last couple seasons. Loved season's 1-3 then it started to go downhill from there.
The first episode was virtually a shot-for-shot remake of the first UK episode, and was not very good.

Michael was too mean-spirited during the first season, which worked for Ricky Gervais, but not for Steve Carell.

The final episode of the first season, with Amy Adams as the cute girl selling purses, was really the first episode where you could see the characters really starting to mesh.

Like Parks and Rec, there were bits and pieces during the first season that showed flashes of what the show would become, but it still hadn't found it yet.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #77
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The first episode was virtually a shot-for-shot remake of the first UK episode, and was not very good.

Michael was too mean-spirited during the first season, which worked for Ricky Gervais, but not for Steve Carell.

The final episode of the first season, with Amy Adams as the cute girl selling purses, was really the first episode where you could see the characters really starting to mesh.

Like Parks and Rec, there were bits and pieces during the first season that showed flashes of what the show would become, but it still hadn't found it yet.
I thought it worked just fine for Carell , Diversity Day and Basketball are still two of my favorite episodes. I found him to be a bit of a dink like David Brent but a little kookier just not over the top.
I think they went to far the other way and made Michael too off the wall and stupid where it lost a lot of the awkward humor, after about season 3 or there abouts.
To each his own I guess but I find the earlier season's much more enjoyable.
On another note just finishing up downloading season 2 of the League and looking forward to it...Season 1 was great!
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #78
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for the OP, just watched The Tie episode again. That's it, I'm changing my fantasy handle. CP NFL Fantasy Football "C" Division, say hello to The Fear Boners.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #79
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
You will be pleasantly surprised soon.
Good call. About a 3rd of the way through season 2 of P&R now, its a completely different show from S1. When you watch the finale of S1 and then immediately after watch the premiere of S2 like I did, its especially noticeable. They got rid of all the touchy/feely crap and just made it actually funny. Even Mark isn't annoying anymore, he's the biggest jump in character I found from 1 to 2.

I can see why you said that, its funny because every complaint/request I made in that post during S1 was changed in S2. Good stuff.

EDIT: Ron's definitely a beauty but so far I think my fav is Tom, man he makes me laugh. When he showed up as T-Payne for the Halloween party I was dying. And in the S2 premiere, I love when they show his previous appearance on that day TV show when he's all slouching in the guest chair with his feet on the table like a baller, macking on the host. I think I re-watched that scene 3-4 times. Gold Jerry gold!

Last edited by Sainters7; 09-01-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:38 AM   #80
Montagna
Farm Team Player

Exp:

The reunion episode may have me hooked. The Herdsman? Vinegar Strokes? Pretty funny.
Montagna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
did i mention p&r sucks , parks and rec sucks , parks&rec sucks , the league