Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #161
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh wow maybe contact tigerdirect? that is pretty crazy slow. Was yours shipped freight truck?
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #162
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Oh wow maybe contact tigerdirect? that is pretty crazy slow. Was yours shipped freight truck?
Yeah I emailed them today so I'll let you know what they say. It was shipped UPS. Since it was your recommendation I'm holding you personally responsible lol.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #163
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You should have chosen a heavier screen that can't ship UPS and needs to go frieght. I gave you the screen to go with! I am not liable at all! It will be worth it when it gets here no matter when that is
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #164
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got a general question...

How do you determine which grade of speaker wire is the best for your size/power/wattage of speaker?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #165
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#introduction
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #166
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've done a lot of research on TV's as of late but am stuck on 3 different ones. Coincidentally each one is not only a different brand but a different type of TV altogether.

I will use it for watching Telus Optik, Xbox 360 and sometimes Wii. I have lots of room and it's in the basement so lighting is not an issue.

I'm curious which one some of you would go with, and keep in mind I will be going to the States to get it...

Panasonic 65" Plasma
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...&skuId=9904381

Sharp Aquos Quattron LED 60"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-+...&skuId=9730545

Mitsubishi DLP 73"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mitsubis...&skuId=9836123

Any comments would be appreciated, I keep going back and forth on all 3 of these.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #167
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Coincidentally each one is not only a different brand but a different type of TV altogether.
Are they ever.

What size is ideal for you? The difference between a 60 and a 73 is quite substantial... I'd narrow it down that way first.

Is there a reason one is 3d? I can see debating plasma/led/lcd, but I'd think having 3d or not may be a sticking point. Maybe not. Just thought it was odd that there was one thrown in there.

Between this thread and another tv thread, it's no secret I'd vote for the Viera. However the Quattron is a decent looking TV too. Not familiar with Mitsubishi. The last Mitsubishi TV I owned was from 1986. It was good, but I'm sure that's not really relevant now...
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #168
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I also vote the Viera, I have heard great things about the picture quality on that 65 incher. I've heard it's one of the best since the Pioneer Kuro elite series for dark blacks and accurate colours.

I'm jealous I can't have one. I only have 1000 bucks to spend on a tv at this point.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #169
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Are they ever.

What size is ideal for you? The difference between a 60 and a 73 is quite substantial... I'd narrow it down that way first.

Is there a reason one is 3d? I can see debating plasma/led/lcd, but I'd think having 3d or not may be a sticking point. Maybe not. Just thought it was odd that there was one thrown in there.

Between this thread and another tv thread, it's no secret I'd vote for the Viera. However the Quattron is a decent looking TV too. Not familiar with Mitsubishi. The last Mitsubishi TV I owned was from 1986. It was good, but I'm sure that's not really relevant now...
Dont really care about 3D, I stumbled upon the Mitsubishi. It has gotten good reviews and it is massive! I am about 12-15 feet away so a big screen is essential.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #170
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I also vote the Viera, I have heard great things about the picture quality on that 65 incher. I've heard it's one of the best since the Pioneer Kuro elite series for dark blacks and accurate colours.

I'm jealous I can't have one. I only have 1000 bucks to spend on a tv at this point.
$1000 seems to go a lot further now than 3 years ago in the HDTV market!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #171
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd actually go for the Mitsubishi, 8sPOT. It gets surprisingly rave reviews (despite some noted bulb/board type failures - avoidable with the right warranty) and it's extra size will make TV viewing much more immersive from a long distance (though playing games close to the set can be a bit crazy, like sitting front row at the IMAX).

Going by the Crutchfield guide, I'd definitely recommend the 73" display from 15 feet out; from 12 feet out, the 65" should suffice. And although that Aquos is also great, I don't think it's strengths fit your needs as much as the other two.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #172
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I figured I'd finally put up some pics of my set up. It was my summer project and now it's winter. Oops.

Projector: Optpma GT720
-Short throw as I have limited space. I get a beautiful 92" image from less than 6 feet. As you can tell by the pics, a drop in the ceiling limits the placement so I needed a short throw projector. I am blown away by the quality of the image. Even on full bright with my lights and without the screen pulled down, the image on the wall is crisp and clear, just distorted due to the paint color. I give this projector a 6 out of 5. Amazing. For $800, it's a wonder more people don't have them.

Sound System: Samsung Somthingorother
-Could really use a real sound system, but as I'm in a townhouse it hardly seems prudent to buy something I can't enjoy
Favorite Tweak: Remote Dimmer (Lutron Maestro)

-With my harmony remote I got for Christmas it automatically sets the lights to what I want (Full Bright, Dim, Off) depending if I choose Play PS3, Watch a Movie, or Watch TV

PS3 games and BlueRays look amazing. Black Ops is harder now oddly enough as I actually have to use my peripheral vision to see people not in the centre of the screen. I wired my rear speakers through the wall and as my projector only has 1 HDMI input, I wired in a 25' cord as well. I have a remote HDMI switcher to change from PS3 to HD Pace Shaw box. I added a pic I took with my phone of my Flames snuggy and Flames beer fridge.

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 01-19-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #173
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like it street! looks like a fun place to hangout and play some video games!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #174
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I like it street! looks like a fun place to hangout and play some video games!
While it is a little more work, it is cheaper than a TV and infinitely awesomer. Why don't more people do it?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #175
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Because people don't understand the quality of projectors now adays they all assume they suck still
Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #176
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because people don't understand the quality of projectors now adays they all assume they suck still
Put me in that boat. Last one I saw was about 5 years ago and it was horriffic. It wasn't until this thread came up that I'd considered a screen.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #177
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well stop considering and doing it! It's all the rage!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #178
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well stop considering and doing it! It's all the rage!
Hahaha! I have to finish the basement first. Or start the basement....
Then a projector and one of Gob's 60-1's...
Old 01-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #179
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Frame basement- get projector - build mame machine - get electrical ran - put in bar with mini fridge and sink - have no money to finish basement and enjoy! Who says you need to have a finished basement. I lost my camera upon finding it I will post pics I promise everyone!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #180
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Kunk the best thing you can do in an unfinished basement is paint the floor with concrete paint. It'll cost you maybe $150 in materials and take a couple evenings of your time, but there won't be any concrete dust, it'll look super clean and it's kind of cool. I did that in my last house before we finished it and it always looked sharp.

Then get the projector.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote