Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #1001
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hell, my netbook plays Call of Duty 4, and plays 1080p videos fine (Asus 1021n). Sure, it is a niche version of the netbook, and the processor is still the bottleneck, but for how little I play PC games now, and that I find I mainly use it for browsing the web, it certainly is a nice product.

The HDMI out for playing Hulu and videos is also a nice addition.
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #1002
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Reading about Americans using NetFlix on their iPads makes me a little depressed. Canada sucks so hard on streaming media it blows my mind. Why can Apple do it but nobody else can?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #1003
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Reading about Americans using NetFlix on their iPads makes me a little depressed. Canada sucks so hard on streaming media it blows my mind. Why can Apple do it but nobody else can?
If you have the Netflix app can you still use it in Canada?
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #1004
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
If you have the Netflix app can you still use it in Canada?
My guess they won't take a Canadian credit nor will they stream to Canada (similar to how you can download the pandora app, but it won't work here).
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #1005
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I bet if you ran linux based firewall you could set up some kinds of rules so that your iPad Internet ran through a US based proxy.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #1006
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
My Acer Aspire One came with a 6-cell batter (7hrs battery life), booted into Windows 7 in about 15 seconds, ran Aero without a hitch, and played up to 540p mkv files smoothly.

You just had a crappy netbook. Plenty of them are great.

Is your netbook SSD?
Hmm... I think that's what my Dad has. Half the time when I used it it was incredibly unresponsive. I told him there was something wrong with it.

On another note, the iPad is the Disneyland of computers?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #1007
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Awesome. So, what that article is saying is the iPad is a great way to consume media... but if you want to do serious computing, you still need a computer.

Profound stuff.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #1008
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I bet if you ran linux based firewall you could set up some kinds of rules so that your iPad Internet ran through a US based proxy.
If you had a PC, you could just use one of the many apps out there that do this easily and instantly though, like hotspotshield.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #1009
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Hmm... I think that's what my Dad has. Half the time when I used it it was incredibly unresponsive. I told him there was something wrong with it.
I've got the Acer Aspire with 6 cell battery as well. I get about 5-7 hours of battery life depending on the power saving settings. If it's unresponsive, it could be that your dad's netbook is on extreme power saving scheme and so it's clocking itself down.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #1010
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Awesome. So, what that article is saying is the iPad is a great way to consume media... but if you want to do serious computing, you still need a computer.

Profound stuff.
A lot of average folks may not know this and think the Ipad is a full blown computer, but then again, those kind of people would be the perfect market for the iPad.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #1011
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
A lot of average folks may not know this and think the Ipad is a full blown computer, but then again, those kind of people would be the perfect market for the iPad.
I think it's been made pretty clear that the iPad isn't a full blown computer. It's never been marketed as one, for starters, and it's been mentioned from both sides throughout this entire thread.

Also, I disagree that people who think the iPad is a real computer is a perfect market for it. I don't really know what you're getting at with that, but Apple doesn't want to sell an iPad to someone who needs a computer. They'd much rather sell them an iMac.

I guess I just don't understand what your point is.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #1012
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's been made pretty clear that the iPad isn't a full blown computer. It's never been marketed as one, for starters, and it's been mentioned from both sides throughout this entire thread.

Also, I disagree that people who think the iPad is a real computer is a perfect market for it. I don't really know what you're getting at with that, but Apple doesn't want to sell an iPad to someone who needs a computer. They'd much rather sell them an iMac.

I've had a bunch of people, parents, aunts, etc. ask me about the Ipad and if they could do all their office work on it as well etc. so they are looking for more of a full computer rather than a media consumption device. There are a lot of people out there that think the Ipad is a Macbook without a keyboard. They also assume the screen is a lot bigger than it is just because of how it looks in pictures.

That said, I don't see why anybody would have trouble running office and work apps on an Ipad coupled with the wireless aluminum keyboard. I wish the wireless aluminum keyboard had a numpad though or I would have bought one.

My opinion which you will not agree with of course is that both iPads and Macbooks and basically any Apple product is overpriced. :P
Old 04-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #1013
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I think his point was that if you're stupid enough to think the iPad is a real computer, you're probably stupid enough not to notice that it isn't.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuadCityImages For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #1014
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
I've had a bunch of people, parents, aunts, etc. ask me about the Ipad and if they could do all their office work on it as well etc. so they are looking for more of a full computer rather than a media consumption device. There are a lot of people out there that think the Ipad is a Macbook without a keyboard. They also assume the screen is a lot bigger than it is just because of how it looks in pictures.

That said, I don't see why anybody would have trouble running office and work apps on an Ipad coupled with the wireless aluminum keyboard. I wish the wireless aluminum keyboard had a numpad though or I would have bought one.

My opinion which you will not agree with of course is that both iPads and Macbooks and basically any Apple product is overpriced. :P
Ohh I see what you mean now. Yeah, the office stuff is definitely doable on the iPad. I've watched all the iWork videos and they look pretty impressive. I've even played with Keynote (Powerpoint) on an iPad and it's really well done.

I don't think it's a very good workplace desktop replacement, but it can most certainly handle all the basic office stuff. Especially with multiple exchange accounts going into a unified inbox. As an ex-Exchange Admin, I can tell you that that is all kinds of nice.

By the way... While I've obviously been impressed with the iPad, it wasn't until I actually laid my hands on one yesterday that I was completely convinced that I wanted one. I was on the fence before, but I've now fallen off.

I know all the reviews have been talking about how fast it is, but wow. It's even faster than I was expecting it to be. Keynote was pretty nice for sure. I wanted to play with Pages and Numbers a bit, but the guy had only bought Keynote.

Maps is very fast and extremely responsive. It's hard to describe, but you really get the feeling you're pinching and dragging an actual city from a seat on an airplane (in Satellite mode, of course).
Old 04-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #1015
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
I think his point was that if you're stupid enough to think the iPad is a real computer, you're probably stupid enough not to notice that it isn't.
Ok... so since he said that those people are the "perfect market" for an iPad, and since he's also thanked your re-explanation of his post... what he really meant to say is that the iPad should ideally be marketed towards people who are too stupid to realize it's not a computer.

Nice.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #1016
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
...iPads... is (are) overpriced.
I don't know how I missed that. You guys are getting good.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-09-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:12 AM   #1017
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Apple may not have marketed it as a full blown computer but there are plenty of Apple fan boys that wanted to try to hype it as that.

I came into this thread somewhat interested in considering the iPad after hearing elsewhere that it was going to be a laptop killer. Thankfully, even the fanboys here have been pretty level headed when it comes to the iPad's limitations.
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:25 AM   #1018
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I think I'm going to just start automatically ignoring posters who use the word fanboy. Same with ###### bag. Never been fond of that either. What exactly is so descriptive about calling someone a bag of water?

Anyway, I digress.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #1019
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

PS: I don't know which Apple forums you're hanging out in, but as far as I can remember, the only people in this thread who have tried to compare the iPad to a laptop are the ones who were trying to use that as an excuse for why the iPad sucked.

This thing sucks as a laptop.
It's not a laptop.
Yes it is.
No it isn't.
It runs apps and has an OS. It's a laptop.
It isn't a laptop, it's just a handheld device.
Well whatever, it still sucks.
Why?
Because my laptop has a bigger hard drive and can multitask.
Sounds like a pretty cool laptop. Have fun with that.
I have a webcam too.
Well, that sounds about right. You do have a laptop afterall.
The iPad doesn't have one.
It's not a laptop.
Yes it is.
No it isn't.
Well it has a keyboard.
So does my phone.
Whatever fanboy.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #1020
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, this didn't take long. iPad jailbreak is done. The video of the iPad as an N64 emulator is pretty cool.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/10/i...thanks-geohot/
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote