Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2010, 03:05 PM   #2001
flamingreen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Might want to download the VLC app while you still can.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/31/...rom-app-store/
flamingreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #2002
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm getting the missus an iPad for Christmas. When will the new version be out? What will it have that the current version doesn't? Video camera?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #2003
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'm getting the missus an iPad for Christmas. When will the new version be out? What will it have that the current version doesn't? Video camera?
New version will in all likelihood be out next summer (June/July). Not a whole lot of rumors surrounding it yet, but given the direction of their other products I would expect a retina display and a couple of cameras. I would also expect a slight uptick in the memory as well.

As with most apple products like this it's most likely the ipad will remain around the same price, but will have more features.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #2004
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Isn't june/july Iphone? I would guess it will be out around March/april when the original came out. Apple tends to have one year cycles.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #2005
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Highly doubt a 10" retina display would be possible at the iPad price point. maybe a higher resolution, but not "retina" as Apple calls it.

Last edited by silentsim; 11-01-2010 at 03:40 PM.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #2006
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I always forget about the 2 month delay in Canada for the iPad, so fundmark19 is correct. It was released April 3, so it's possible we'll see it around that time assuming there's no parts shortage.

I never thought of the cost of a retina display at that size. Regardless I would expect a healthy dosage of pixel density.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #2007
Doctordestiny
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
New version will in all likelihood be out next summer (June/July). Not a whole lot of rumors surrounding it yet, but given the direction of their other products I would expect a retina display and a couple of cameras. I would also expect a slight uptick in the memory as well.

As with most apple products like this it's most likely the ipad will remain around the same price, but will have more features.
A friend of mine says it will be out by Christmas. No?
Doctordestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #2008
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctordestiny View Post
A friend of mine says it will be out by Christmas. No?
Certainly not. It would have been announced by now, plus Apple almost never releases anything in less than full year cycles.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #2009
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So did your iPad make the change over to MST time OK? Mind didn't! I have it set to "Set Automatically" under date and time, which is the default, and it didn't change. If I set it to manual, it reverts to the correct time.

So I'm not sure where it gets the Automatic time from, but it's broken.

Stupid Apple. I know time is hard (as an amateur developer, I find dealing with time hard, anyways), but c'mon...
Old 11-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #2010
MaxPower
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
So did your iPad make the change over to MST time OK? Mind didn't! I have it set to "Set Automatically" under date and time, which is the default, and it didn't change. If I set it to manual, it reverts to the correct time.

So I'm not sure where it gets the Automatic time from, but it's broken.

Stupid Apple. I know time is hard (as an amateur developer, I find dealing with time hard, anyways), but c'mon...
Mine changed fine on it's own. Weird.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #2011
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
Mine changed fine on it's own. Weird.
3G or wifi model?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #2012
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a 3G model, with cellular data turned off. it changed fine using the "set automatically" setting.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #2013
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

my Wifi model adjusted properly
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #2014
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

my Wifi model adjusted correctly as well.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #2015
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well this is quite bizarre - it seems quite hit and miss whether it updated correctly or not - others on the net have definitely had the same issue.

Not the end of the world (unless the world is ending in an hour, in which case, my iPad is already there

Edit: looks like its related to whether the 3G radio is on or not, so it must be pulling bad time from Telus.

Last edited by sclitheroe; 11-07-2010 at 02:52 PM.
sclitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #2016
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

My parents just got an iPad. Anybody wanna run me through a quick list of must-haves?
i just checked out Air Video - holy crap is that ever sweet.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #2017
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

So I'm not sure if this has every been mentioned before, but I'm only now starting to see the benefit of goodreader. It can download files that the ipad can't normally download, and then it can send them to something like dropbox.

Theoretically (and purely theoretically) one could set up their downloads remotely by downloading a torrent file on their iPad using goodreader and uploading it to a folder in their dropbox that they have their home bit torrent client monitoring. If one were so bold of course.

One really cool "hack" that I heard on Macbreak weekly this week was that if you have goodreader installed and you come across a url file in safari (such as a .pdf or a .torrent) you can just add a 'g' in front of the address (ex. ghttp://calgarypuck.com/flames.pdf) it will automatically download in goodreader without you having to leave safari manually. Pretty cool.

Last edited by Russic; 11-11-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #2018
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
S
Theoretically (and purely theoretically) one could set up their downloads remotely by downloading a torrent file on their iPad using goodreader and uploading it to a folder in their dropbox that they have their home bit torrent client monitoring. If one were so bold of course.
Not sure if it's you or someone else that seems to be obsessed with remotely controlling torrent downloads (I've seen it mentioned in more than one thread now), but if its a mac doing the torrenting at home, just use Transmission on the Mac, turn on the webserver component, and port forward the web interface. It works beautifully in the iPad's browser, and you can cut and paste links to torrents into its open torrent dialog. There's no need to make it any more complicated than that.

I routinely download several Linux .iso's a week from searches on isohunt that I just paste into the Transmission web interface via the iPad. Works great.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #2019
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You could also use this to download videos from megaupload, put them in your drop box and serve the folder with Air Video.
Then convert it on the fly to watch on your iPad!
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #2020
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

TuneInRadio has released their iPad native version as a free update for iPad users of their iPhone app.

It's so good I'd have paid to upgrade. It is, without a doubt, the best internet radio app out there, and I know there are fans on this board that will be delighted to hear its been updated for the iPad.