Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default best cms

I am currently using JOOMLA for a site of mine, however, I find it to be slow as #$@# and have had too many problems in terms of the speed....

I am looking for a new one that will use:
SMF forum
Shoutbox capability
HTML page incorporation

Thanks
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

i use drupal, mambo and joomla and thanks to being open source they are all generally high maintenance applications...so not sure what you could consider the best...
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

just whatever i said i could do there, but runs the fastest i guess is what i mean by best
Old 06-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I also use Drupal ... swear by it actually. I don't have a lot of experience with anything else though (actually I have no experience with anything else). I think it meets your needs, but I don't know what shoutbox capability is.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll just throw out that Wordpress can be used as a simple CMS. Yes, it is mainly for blogs, but you don't need a blog at all. If you don't need all the features of some of the advanced CMSs, you can try it out.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Drupal is pretty good, but I found it to require a crap load of work to maintain. That was a couple versions ago though.

How much dynamic content are you going to put on the front end site? If it's a moderate amount and there is really only one or two updater's, look into Wordpress. It's what powers the front of CP!

If you're just going to throw up a few informational pages and rarely update (with the forums being the main focus of the site), consider just doing it all in straight HTML. No point putting the overload of a CMS in if there isn't much need for it. And you can't get much faster then delivering a straight text document!

For the forum integration, you can include a small PHP script to do what ever you need. For a shoutbox, there are lots of good Javascript/PHP ones out there that are separate from a full blown CMS. You could even sync a couple of them to the forum software for user authentication.

Last edited by llama64; 06-13-2008 at 09:19 AM.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Drupal is pretty good, but I found it to require a crap load of work to maintain. That was a couple versions ago though.

How much dynamic content are you going to put on the front end site? If it's a moderate amount and there is really only one or two updater's, look into Wordpress. It's what powers the front of CP!

If you're just going to throw up a few informational pages and rarely update (with the forums being the main focus of the site), consider just doing it all in straight HTML. No point putting the overload of a CMS in if there isn't much need for it. And you can't get much faster then delivering a straight text document!

For the forum integration, you can include a small PHP script to do what ever you need. For a shoutbox, there are lots of good Javascript/PHP ones out there that are separate from a full blown CMS. You could even sync a couple of them to the forum software for user authentication.
the site seems to be good now ... but i still want to potentially change but i need the user authentication to be synced between the CMS and forum, i might try upgrading my joomla to 1.5 and see how that goes

but still open to trying to figure out which one to use.. i dont mind if it takes a bit more work
Old 06-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well if it helps... I hosted a site on Dreamhost (web hosting company). For whatever reason, Drupal did not like the way they setup their database servers (shared hosting plan). A very simple site would routinely timeout when connecting to the database, whereas my replacement Wordpress/phpBB site was just fine.

Hope they fixed that problem, cuz Drupal was damn powerful if you knew what you were doing.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just want to know if anyone could help me set up the drupal site in terms of getting modules that will allow html pages within drupal, hook up SMF (it would be nice) and being able to configure the site to have blocks on the front page only that are PHP content, that would be great.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
teamchachi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
I am currently using JOOMLA for a site of mine, however, I find it to be slow as #$@# and have had too many problems in terms of the speed....

I am looking for a new one that will use:
SMF forum
Shoutbox capability
HTML page incorporation

Thanks
Are you sure that it isn't your web server? Is it a shared environment? That is where I would be starting before blaming Joomla. I've been to a lot of BIG Joomla sites that didn't seem to have performance problems.

teamchachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:48 PM   #11
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamchachi View Post
Are you sure that it isn't your web server? Is it a shared environment? That is where I would be starting before blaming Joomla. I've been to a lot of BIG Joomla sites that didn't seem to have performance problems.
i don't know, it was fine then it became slower.. so the other option is to upgrade the joomla version, I might have to contact my host to see if it is the server side.......

but i havnt been able to find the right modules for drupal, so i might stick with joomla for the time being