Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:
Thumbs up Red Alert 3 Trailer!

I was just peruzing IGN and found some awesome videos of what's coming! This game looks wicked- Red Alert has always been my favorite RTS and I've been waiting forever for this game to be announced! Looks like there's some serious graphical upgrades with some old school characters. It should be wicked!
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

ign has a cool video walkthrough (similiar to the starcraft2 demonstrations)

also heard they're are para-dropped bears. how cool is that??
Flaming Choy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for posting, was a huge fan of both Red Alerts and the Yuri's revenge expansion pack which i still play from time to time. The trailer looks good but saw the 15 minute video gameplay demo and looked really intersting from what they showed.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting, they're using that woman (Crush) from American Gladiators in this game.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but, can you still play red alert 2 online after red alert 3 gets released?
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

^As long as there's a gaming community that still wants to play it, then yes.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
sparky69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I cant wait till this game comes out. looks awsome
sparky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I used to really enjoy the Command and Conquor series right up through Generals, but I probably won't buy this new one, it just seems to be getting more and more cutesy as the series progresses.

Things I hate about real time strategy games

1) The maps for the most part are too small, they did a lot to change that in part 2 and in Generals, but still.
2) In real life a main tank cannon has an effective range of 3 kms, a anti tank missile a range of about 1. In these games the ranges of all weapons are fairly equivalent and measured in feet rather then accurate distances
3) All weapons are too accurate, you just never miss with them. My biggest pet peeve is artillary, with this game, if you see a vehicle you can kill it with one or two shots. I've always thought it would be better if you could define artillary barrages, and the more artillary pieces you have in a grouping, the bigger the area that you could control through fire.
4) Too many deux ex machina weapons. The mammoth tank kills all, in generals you can add a mini gun to the top and it becomes a harvester.
5) Infantry is an afterthought, CC2 tried to change it by allowing you to sandbag your troops, and put them in buildings to defend territory. But we all know that in real life you can't win a war without boots on the ground. Infantry should have the ability to dig trenches, set up hidden ambushes etc.
6) You should never be able to lift the fog of war for the whole map. You should be forced to set up recon patrols and recon screens for your attack and probe forward. Its too easy if you know where the camp is.
7) An end to the tank rush, you should be rewarded for building a mixed force of infantry, artillary, armour, airbourne support and airpower. You should have to win the fight on the ground and in the air. Ie if you don't have control of the air, its unlikely that your going to win without air support and it should be far harder for your troops to advance under the threat of air attack.
8) No fatigue factor, or battle stress. If you march your troops across a map they should get tired, slow down, make bad ai decisions etc. You should suffer random failures in your vehicles if you don't build engineers to maintain them.
9) Forget about money or ore or whatever, you should be assigned units based on your success in previous missions, and have a strategic reserve that you can call in. Instead of building vehicle construction bays, you should have to build motor pools for repair. Barracks for training your existing troops. Special forces command centers for enhanced recon. Etc.

I just want a realistic real time strategy war game, thats all.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I used to really enjoy the Command and Conquor series right up through Generals, but I probably won't buy this new one, it just seems to be getting more and more cutesy as the series progresses.

Things I hate about real time strategy games

1) The maps for the most part are too small, they did a lot to change that in part 2 and in Generals, but still.
2) In real life a main tank cannon has an effective range of 3 kms, a anti tank missile a range of about 1. In these games the ranges of all weapons are fairly equivalent and measured in feet rather then accurate distances
3) All weapons are too accurate, you just never miss with them. My biggest pet peeve is artillary, with this game, if you see a vehicle you can kill it with one or two shots. I've always thought it would be better if you could define artillary barrages, and the more artillary pieces you have in a grouping, the bigger the area that you could control through fire.
4) Too many deux ex machina weapons. The mammoth tank kills all, in generals you can add a mini gun to the top and it becomes a harvester.
5) Infantry is an afterthought, CC2 tried to change it by allowing you to sandbag your troops, and put them in buildings to defend territory. But we all know that in real life you can't win a war without boots on the ground. Infantry should have the ability to dig trenches, set up hidden ambushes etc.
6) You should never be able to lift the fog of war for the whole map. You should be forced to set up recon patrols and recon screens for your attack and probe forward. Its too easy if you know where the camp is.
7) An end to the tank rush, you should be rewarded for building a mixed force of infantry, artillary, armour, airbourne support and airpower. You should have to win the fight on the ground and in the air. Ie if you don't have control of the air, its unlikely that your going to win without air support and it should be far harder for your troops to advance under the threat of air attack.
8) No fatigue factor, or battle stress. If you march your troops across a map they should get tired, slow down, make bad ai decisions etc. You should suffer random failures in your vehicles if you don't build engineers to maintain them.
9) Forget about money or ore or whatever, you should be assigned units based on your success in previous missions, and have a strategic reserve that you can call in. Instead of building vehicle construction bays, you should have to build motor pools for repair. Barracks for training your existing troops. Special forces command centers for enhanced recon. Etc.

I just want a realistic real time strategy war game, thats all.
Totally took the words out of my mouth. I used to love RTS games, but now I only ever play NHL08, and then now that isn't much at all anymore either. Everything you suggested is gold.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Other things I'd add to the game

1) Logistics - Your vehicles have limited fuel, your troops and vehicles have limited ammo, you can't just leave soldiers to die, you need hospitals and ambulances (extra points awarded for saving lives). You have to make sure that you don't outrun your logistics train.

2) Counter battery fire. Artillary becomes a huge advantage, part of your role as a commander in the field is to find enemy artillary and kill it. You could have a special counterbattery vehicle that can track enemy artillary through radar.

3) Command vehicles - Every formation has a commander, whether its a command tank, or a infantry leader. If that unit is killed, the unit might panic, retreat, or fight on, those problems continue until you promote a new leader. Also makes it fun to go after leaders

4) Radio problems - You can build expensive jamming technology which effects how the enemy fights.

5) HQ units, you need to protect them, because if they're found and destroyed by the enemy, until a new one is built, you have no control over your troops, again who might retreat, attack, surrender, etc.

6) Collateral damage might cause the birth of insurgents, so you have to be careful when shelling enemies near schools, hospitals, etc. The insurgants will either help your enemy, or lash out at both sides. Insurgants can also plant mines or IEDs and they look like civilians, but your paranoia could create more insurgants if you start shooting unarmed civilians.

7) Mercenaries - bring something like Blackwater into play to guard strategic command centers, logistics centers etc, the more you pay the better the protection.

8) Better city or house to house fighting, your forced to send infantry into buildings to take out the enemies hiding there, or just bring them down with artillary or aircraft.

9) faulty intelligence - You receive a briefing at the start of the mission, but your intelligence could be wrong in terms of enemy size, disposition, or intentions, and you could pay the price if your not flexible enough.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #11
truth14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

What is the expected release date? October 2008?
truth14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question, but, can you still play red alert 2 online after red alert 3 gets released?
Woo!

I bought it off ebay that night, for $13 (shipping included). Anyway, it got here today. I haven't played this game for like 4 years.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

If anyone here has Red Alert 2, could you try connecting to Westwood Online?

It keeps telling me it cannot connect, so I can't even play online.