Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2008, 07:56 AM   #41
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I tried digging through the event log further this morning and there doesn't appear to be any related errors in any of the logs. There are some errors of start-up listed, but nothing when the game tries to run and crashes.

After the crash, Windows reboots and gives me these problem details though:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 50
BCP1: FFFFF900C0164CE8
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: FFFFFA6002431309
BCP4: 0000000000000007
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini053008-01.dmp
C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-28735-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC7EF.tmp.vers ion.txt
Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...3&clcid=0x0409

I don't know if any of that is really helpful.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #42
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yeah, unfortunately the nature of the "Blue Screen of DEATH" is such that it is basically "The program did something illegal, so I'll just tank without saying much". Where there any other error messages associated with your programs before the blue screen?

I'll take a look around today to see if there is some information I can glean from all of this.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #43
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

JayP, are you running Vista with SP1? I had a variety of stability problems when I tried adopting Vista 64 at launch causing me to roll back to XP. After SP1 was released, I went back to Vista and it seems the issues I were having are resolved.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #44
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm pretty sure the Service Pack: 1.0 denotes him having service pack one. However this is probably a good question to get an official answer to.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #45
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTom View Post
I'm pretty sure the Service Pack: 1.0 denotes him having service pack one.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #46
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
Tried both of these...and it worked! Oblivion did, at least. I'll try running a couple of other games now.

However, Oblivion still does crash just like the other games did. I tried to get an event log of it, but nothing related seems to be on there.
Sounds like the installer issue is separate from the crashing.

Given that you experience crashes when you try to play games, I'd guess that it's got something to do with your video or sound card drivers. At a long shot, maybe your chipset/motherboard drivers.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #47
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
JayP, are you running Vista with SP1? I had a variety of stability problems when I tried adopting Vista 64 at launch causing me to roll back to XP. After SP1 was released, I went back to Vista and it seems the issues I were having are resolved.
I definitely have service pack 1.0 installed, as was already mentioned.

The weird thing is that when I play Oblivion, I can start a new game and watch the whole intro video, but the game only crashes once I get to create your character screens. Bioshock crashes as soon as I get to the main menu. I might be way off here, but I would think if it was the video card that the Oblivion intro movie shouldn't be able to play.

I know the video card drivers are up to date. I'm just running off the motherboard's sound card so I'll try going to ASUS's website and see if there's anything I can download from them for my motherboard.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #48
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

In general, I think, movies for game intros are pre-generated which means the game is pretty much showing you a video, which is something that any computer is able to accomplish. The fact that it is crashing when you get to the character generation says to me that it might be worth investigating the video card in this case, since it seems to be failing when it has to actually do stuff like generate the character models.

By all means, try to see if there is something for your audio and check up on the motherboard drivers (as a long shot like Llama says).
Old 05-30-2008, 11:41 AM   #49
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was just reading some random stuff by googling your motherboard and gfx card and I have found a few posts stating that Asus may have a somewhat shoddy manufacturing/testing process for their stuff. It might be that you have a defective motherboard. I am currently trying to find something that might help me to help you figure out whether this is true or not. Also I am trying to find someone on these hardware forums that speaks some form of ENGLISH.

I swear, reading hardware geek is worse than Japanese.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #50
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I definitely have service pack 1.0 installed, as was already mentioned.

The weird thing is that when I play Oblivion, I can start a new game and watch the whole intro video, but the game only crashes once I get to create your character screens. Bioshock crashes as soon as I get to the main menu. I might be way off here, but I would think if it was the video card that the Oblivion intro movie shouldn't be able to play.

I know the video card drivers are up to date. I'm just running off the motherboard's sound card so I'll try going to ASUS's website and see if there's anything I can download from them for my motherboard.
Oblivion is likely rendering that intro video using something like the Bink video codec. Might only be choking on 3d accellerating functions.

Try locating some free "OpenGL" demos and running those. Then try finding some DirectX demos and running those, both full screen and windowed. See if you can narrow down some causes for the crashes.

If you have a spare video card around, swap it in and see if that fixes the problem.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #51
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't looked - does Vista x64 still have DXDiag?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #52
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I haven't looked - does Vista x64 still have DXDiag?
From Wikipedia:

DxDiag is a diagnostics tool used to test DirectX functionality and troubleshoot video- or sound-related hardware problems. DirectX Diagnostic can save text files with the scan results. These files are often posted in tech forums or attached to support emails in order to give support personnel a better idea of the PC the requester is using in case the error is due to a hardware failure or incompatibility. DxDiag by default located in %SystemRoot%\System32.[1] In Windows Vista, DxDiag only shows information; it is no longer possible to test the hardware and the various DirectX components.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #53
metal_geek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Are you runing the game from the same Administrator login you installed from?

Are you using a gamepad of any kind?

Any USB devices other then mouse and keyboard?
________
New jersey marijuana dispensaries

Last edited by metal_geek; 05-06-2011 at 12:02 AM.
metal_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #54
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_geek View Post
Are you runing the game from the same Administrator login you installed from?

Are you using a gamepad of any kind?

Any USB devices other then mouse and keyboard?
Yes.

No.

Just a printer.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #55
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Oblivion is likely rendering that intro video using something like the Bink video codec. Might only be choking on 3d accellerating functions.

Try locating some free "OpenGL" demos and running those. Then try finding some DirectX demos and running those, both full screen and windowed. See if you can narrow down some causes for the crashes.

If you have a spare video card around, swap it in and see if that fixes the problem.
I tried both demos and they turned out poorly.

I got this DirectX demo: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_cascades_home.html. It crashed as soon as the program started with the same blue screen as when I run games.

For OpenGL I used GLExcess (www.glexcess.com) and it ran horribly. I was getting framerates under 10 for all of it and for some tests it was locked a 1 FPS. Eventually it stopped working on the 4th and final test. It didn't crash - I got got a pop-up saying glexcess.exe has stopped working.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #56
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I tried both demos and they turned out poorly.

I got this DirectX demo: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_cascades_home.html. It crashed as soon as the program started with the same blue screen as when I run games.

For OpenGL I used GLExcess (www.glexcess.com) and it ran horribly. I was getting framerates under 10 for all of it and for some tests it was locked a 1 FPS. Eventually it stopped working on the 4th and final test. It didn't crash - I got got a pop-up saying glexcess.exe has stopped working.
That definitely points to a problem with the video driver, try uninstalling the video driver and reinstalling.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:12 AM   #57
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

If you can see windows or watch intro movies in games but not actually get into the games themselves means your computer is fine in 2D mode but is crashing when it tries to go into 3D mode.

This is a videocard or videodriver issue.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #58
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_guy View Post
That definitely points to a problem with the video driver, try uninstalling the video driver and reinstalling.
Done and done.

All the games, the DirectX demo, OpenGL demo, etc. are now working.

Thanks for all the help all.

I downloaded the same drivers as before so I dont know why they needed re-installation. At least it's working.